Terra Nova Moonlight bivi question

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Ben98

Terra Nova Moonlight bivi question

Post by Ben98 »

OK, so, I started asking questions about the above bivi in another thread, but I have a few more so thought I'd start a thread. Questions:
What do those people who've used it think of it? Is it any good?
And how does it compare to the alpkit hunka interns of size, does anyone have both so they could overlay one on the other?

Thanks in advance
Ben
Anthony

Re: Terra Nova Moonlight bivi question

Post by Anthony »

Great, but it has its limitations.

It's a waterproof sleeping bag cover rather than a bivvy bag IMO.
It's small, 6' is about its height limit and its narrower, esp at foot end than a Hunka/Storm

Packsize think coke can at most
Very breathable
Sub 200g
Light fabric has zero effect on a lightweight down bag's ability to loft

Had mine 2yrs and no intention of swapping it.
FLV

Post by FLV »

I've not tried one yet, I'm considering one as an extra light way of not freezing to death when trying 1 nighters. Such things as the bear bones 200 etc where i only want to be in it for a couple of hours or not at all but it feels silly not to carry anything.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

The issue I've come up with in my head, is that whilst a waterproof, breathable bivvy may well be both breathable and waterproof...I don't think it can be at the same time - as when there is a layer of water on the outside because it's raining - it suddenly stops being breathable.
This is a mixture of pure theory and experience in my hunka.

So, I have come round to the idea that a night in only a bivvy when it's raining is never ever going to be pleasant, whether it's waterproof or not!

All IMHO.
Firmo

Post by Firmo »

Zippy,

I have both. I find that the Moonlight is a little smaller than the Hunka - Narrower at the feet, and the hood (not sure if that's the correct name for it) isn't quite big enough to pull over. I'm 6'.

It packs down a lot more than the Hunka, and is lighter.

I'll take a photo of the two laid out and packed tomorrow if that'll help?
Firmo
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Firmo wrote: I'll take a photo of the two laid out and packed tomorrow if that'll help?
It's alright thanks, I'm not actually in the market for a new Bivvy as I've just got my borah ;) But this might be interesting because suddenly I have an idea of having a TN moonlight as an emergency bivvy with a bit more comfort than a foil blanket as it's breathable. :geek:

Edit: £100 seems a bit more money than necessary for an emergency shelter I don't intend using :oops:
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

You clearly haven't seen this:

http://www.terra-nova.co.uk/tarps-bivis ... tra-bivi-/

£300 and it's not even breathable :lol:
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Can I just give that a W a T and a big, fat F?
Ben98

Post by Ben98 »

Firmo wrote:Zippy,

I have both. I find that the Moonlight is a little smaller than the Hunka - Narrower at the feet, and the hood (not sure if that's the correct name for it) isn't quite big enough to pull over. I'm 6'.

It packs down a lot more than the Hunka, and is lighter.

I'll take a photo of the two laid out and packed tomorrow if that'll help?
Hi there firmo, a picture of the 2 would be great If its not to much trouble :-)
Cheers
Ben
jameso

Post by jameso »

I have one, seems pretty good, not had any issue with breathability, no condensation noticed. Well rain-tested, ideally with a tarp covering your upper half. It's a bit slimmer than my Rab Survival Zone but still roomy enough (6ft 1 here and have used it cinched up), I use my mat outside my bag though.
as when there is a layer of water on the outside because it's raining - it suddenly stops being breathable.
True of goretex, event, etc, any breathable fabric really. If it's beading and running off it will breathe but much less than when dry.