KAW Recently?

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

dlovett

KAW Recently?

Post by dlovett »

Anybody ridden the King Alfred Way in the last week or so? Just wondering how nicely it's running, was thinking about an overnighter on it tomorrow, to shake down everything before the NYM300.

TIA
Dean

Re: KAW Recently?

Post by Dean »

dlovett wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 9:12 pm Anybody ridden the King Alfred Way in the last week or so? Just wondering how nicely it's running, was thinking about an overnighter on it tomorrow, to shake down everything before the NYM300.

TIA
I rode it two weeks ago, some sections were heavily overgrown (canal out of Reading for example, on some of the singletrack/field track sections I could not see the ground for the vegetation). Everything was bone dry. Recent rain may have made the overgrown sections worse.
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

Dean wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 9:27 pm
dlovett wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 9:12 pm Anybody ridden the King Alfred Way in the last week or so? Just wondering how nicely it's running, was thinking about an overnighter on it tomorrow, to shake down everything before the NYM300.

TIA
I rode it two weeks ago, some sections were heavily overgrown (canal out of Reading for example, on some of the singletrack/field track sections I could not see the ground for the vegetation). Everything was bone dry. Recent rain may have made the overgrown sections worse.
Yep if it's anything like a bit further east in Sussex, the nettles have grown about a ft in the last two weeks. Will take rash guards!!
Dean

Post by Dean »

I went full length sleeve and full finger gloves even in the heat, it saved my skin from UV and the brambles/nettles which were handlebar-high. My shins however were a state.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Same. Everything my area (QECP/Kingley Vale) is running absolutely lovely at the moment but the nettles have gone nuts, arm and leg still stinging from last night's ride. Brambles not exactly great either
faustus

Post by faustus »

Ditto to the above - live near the ridgeway. Very very dry and hard, and recent rain has merely damped down some of the dust which was getting looser in places. Yep, max vegetation so expect to be pulling stuff out of your rear mech and arms and legs tingling/scratched! :-bd
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

cheers all!!
Dyffers

Post by Dyffers »

I'm further south in Dorset but agree with the above comments and I'll add that everyone bashing through the undergrowth on a ride on Sunday were pulling ticks off themselves afterwards, so take your tweezers with you.
faustus

Post by faustus »

Yes good point, found a tick on my leg after a ride on monday :???:
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

I went East instead of West in the End, across Hampshire into dusty Sussex. It's got even more overgrown in the last week.