Advice Please

Questions and answers about routes.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Catrike16

Advice Please

Post by Catrike16 »

Hi
I am planning a trip to visit a friend but I am going to MTB bikepack.
Train to Ardrossan then via Arran to the ferry Lochranza to Claonaig the across to Tayinloan. I am planning one or two nights camping on the way and probably the same coming back.
Dont want to carry much water but will have a Sawyer filter with me, can anyone advise on availability of steams etc across Arran.

Also some advice on parking, Alwinton and Gatehouse of Fleet, where is it ok to leave a car for a few days, don't want to upset locals etc .

One last thing can anyone recommend a decent three season lightweight packable synthetic sleeping bag, I'm allergic to feathers I think.

Thanks in advance
johnnystorm

Re: Advice Please

Post by johnnystorm »

Apologies if I'm coming across as a know all but aren't feather allergies very rare and it's the dust mites associated which with a new down bag in nylon is a low risk?

In any case, to answer your question, I have a Mountain Hardware Lamina that's brilliant and I was previously a down bag advocate.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

If you've a filter you'll be fine as there should still be plenty of water in the bigger burns. Smaller ones have pretty much dried up and it's hard to tell how much impact the current downpours will have. I usually don't bother to filter in Scotland as there are plenty of burns being fed from open moors that are safe to drink but a filter will be good insurance.

I've never had to park in Gatehouse of fleet but my bet would be the car park just off the High St by the river - looks to be free, unrestricted and overlooked. Not sure about Alwinton though.... Dave aka Northwind should know as he has done a fair bit of riding round there.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

. three season lightweight packable synthetic sleeping bag
Lamina is my winter bag( zero ish iirc) but you will need to define temp range for three seasons.
I use a 5 degree peak and valley quilt for 3 season and a Nordisk lightweight summer one if hot/summer.
Thermarest space cowboy is also an option ( never used ) but choices are pretty limited ( non down user but ethical reasons )
Keith74

Post by Keith74 »

Have you plans for coming to tayinloan as there ain’t much there and probably nicer places to take the MTB from the ferry. Cal Mac have a habit of cancelling the wee ferry if needed somewhere else so might be a good idea to have a fall back plan.

There’s lots of stream on steam depending on route but wouldn’t think there would be a shortage aslong as your prepared to carry a litre or so at a time especially for overnight.
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100086163783548

Stay in the banks of Loch Fyne in Argyll.
Catrike16

Post by Catrike16 »

Keith74 wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 9:37 pm Have you plans for coming to tayinloan as there ain’t much there and probably nicer places to take the MTB from the ferry. Cal Mac have a habit of cancelling the wee ferry if needed somewhere else so might be a good idea to have a fall back plan.

There’s lots of stream on steam depending on route but wouldn’t think there would be a shortage aslong as your prepared to carry a litre or so at a time especially for overnight.
Yes I have a mate there who owns a lodge so meeting with a few people there,#
Thanks for the advice, all appreciated
Catrike16

Post by Catrike16 »

johnnystorm wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 3:26 pm Apologies if I'm coming across as a know all but aren't feather allergies very rare and it's the dust mites associated which with a new down bag in nylon is a low risk?

In any case, to answer your question, I have a Mountain Hardware Lamina that's brilliant and I was previously a down bag advocate.
Yes, unfortunately I am one of the rare sufferers
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I'm a bit confused about the reference to Alwinton (there's just one and it's in Northumberland) along with talk of a trip across Arran.

I may not be the brightest pebble on the beach but they aren't exactly close in geographic terms. :|
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Not sure about Alwinton though.... Dave aka Northwind should know as he has done a fair bit of riding round there
I had assumed the Alwinton reference was a mistake :???:
Catrike16

Post by Catrike16 »

whitestone wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 9:38 am I'm a bit confused about the reference to Alwinton (there's just one and it's in Northumberland) along with talk of a trip across Arran.

I may not be the brightest pebble on the beach but they aren't exactly close in geographic terms. :|
No True, I should be more specific, new to bikepacking and I was considering a trip from Alwinton to Hawick as well as the Arran trip. As I said my mate has a lodge near Tayinloan so I thought I would use it as a bikepacking trip instead of going by car, Train to Glasgow or Kilmarnock and cycle from there.
The Alwinton thing was a relatively near test route with an overnight camp :-bd
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Ah ok. There's a little pay and display National Park car park in Alwinton. It says no overnight parking, but I usually take the view that's to deter campers, and what are they going to do if you're not there? It's a very reasonable £2/day so you could stick a couple of tickets in the windscreen and I'm sure all would be fine, and it would be obvious you're trying to do the right thing.

Or, there's an informal parking area by the corner of the road, opposite the pub. I wouldn't worry about leaving my car for a night or two in either of these places.
Catrike16

Post by Catrike16 »

thenorthwind wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 11:21 am Ah ok. There's a little pay and display National Park car park in Alwinton. It says no overnight parking, but I usually take the view that's to deter campers, and what are they going to do if you're not there? It's a very reasonable £2/day so you could stick a couple of tickets in the windscreen and I'm sure all would be fine, and it would be obvious you're trying to do the right thing.

Or, there's an informal parking area by the corner of the road, opposite the pub. I wouldn't worry about leaving my car for a night or two in either of these places.
Brilliant Thanks for the advice