3 questions please? Trail spd pedals/Brand X play & servicing/uphil trail optimal tyre width?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

3 questions please? Trail spd pedals/Brand X play & servicing/uphil trail optimal tyre width?

Post by redefined_cycles »

Right, there's three questions that someone might have some research or experience of. Thanks in advance and appreciate the advice.

1. My Ascend dropper has some side to side play. Serviced it last year and repumped air into it which eliminated it somewhat/maybe. It also has the issue of being a bit hit and miss with extending. Though it does extend most of the time, sometimes it needs an extra press to get that reassuring click/full extension.

Chain reactions had the bushings/maintenance kit in stock a month or so ago (this But now when you go to their site it only does this more expensive replacement cartridge.

Which do I take a chance on first, cos in my head the fact that they've stopped aelling the bushings/thingy kit for a tenner and instead started selling the replacement cartridge, means they might having been getting issues with the maintenance kit not really being the solution for most people. Purely speculation though and the price difference is £10 instead of £30, so wanna choose wisely.

For reference its roughly from about 2017 or so, so had a good life and much more than what a RS dropper would have given me I'd expect. Cleaning the tube and seals has always been maintained as well as regreasing it with some stanchion grease, lightly.

2. When going uphill on a trail with some loose rocks but generally hardpacked. Not having to worry about anything other than that one trail - going up and down it continuously, like you do! Is a thicker (2.8 or 3.0) more appropriate for the back as the wider footprint means less drag and more traction. Or is the smart persons choice to go with a 2.4 which wiuld obviously reduce drag on a smooth surface, but does it make sense here.

I'd also be able to loose some weight and if it comes at a cost benefit of traction then, happy days. Anyone think they know the answer due to proper research or evidence/lots of experience comparing the two. Up front (in my head) a slightly wider, which is currently a Chronicle 3.0, makes most sense... Though maybe that'll change once I get the heavier suspension forks in - currently on rigids.

3. Thanks for staying with me, so about the trail pedals with a wider platform around the spd mechanism. Has anyone experienced less numb foot syndrome even with stiff/nice shoes. I'm currently on some Shimano ME200, which I know are at the cheaper end of the scale, but generally really comfy.

Obviously going up and down the same trail (113 times) might be a limitation for most shoes/spd combinations. Thoughts before I do/don't decide on new shoes over pedals, or platform pedals pver shoes. Going flatties is not an option as I'll start flying off after about 50 reps or less.

Thanks again and look forward to proper informed thoughts/opinions (which I know most people have here :-bd , thanks).

[Edit: think I have the ans to the optimal tyre - seems I should keep the 2.8 according to a Bikeradatlr test in the dry by Seb!).
yourguitarhero

Re: 3 questions please? Trail spd pedals/Brand X play & servicing/uphil trail optimal tyre width?

Post by yourguitarhero »

redefined_cycles wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 6:52 pm 2. When going uphill on a trail with some loose rocks but generally hardpacked. Not having to worry about anything other than that one trail - going up and down it continuously, like you do! Is a thicker (2.8 or 3.0) more appropriate for the back as the wider footprint means less drag and more traction. Or is the smart persons choice to go with a 2.4 which wiuld obviously reduce drag on a smooth surface, but does it make sense here.

I'd also be able to loose some weight and if it comes at a cost benefit of traction then, happy days. Anyone think they know the answer due to proper research or evidence/lots of experience comparing the two. Up front (in my head) a slightly wider, which is currently a Chronicle 3.0, makes most sense... Though maybe that'll change once I get the heavier suspension forks in - currently on rigids.
Is your climbing technique really good? Wrists rotated down, elbows past your knees, weight on the bike being a plumb line vertical? As that is the first place to start...
Lazarus

Re: 3 questions please? Trail spd pedals/Brand X play & servicing/uphil trail optimal tyre width?

Post by Lazarus »

1. Dropper - that is a good life for a dropper might just be time to bite the bullet as they are £50 new for a 100 mmm dropper from crc
2. Wider tyres are more draggy [ though it may just be the lack of mud] so I use wider in winter narrower in summer - that is a s scientific asI get personally.
3. I use time and I have a platform set on the big FS [ other 4 are non platform] but dont really notice any difference between platform v non platform
redefined_cycles

Thanks for that YGH. Unfortunately the climb is drastically challenging (over the past 15 years and 80 ascents, only about 10 have been without putting a foot down or walking. Other than the constant undulations and finding the right line through the terrain, I'd say it is really good, yes. But will check the plumb line once again :-bd
redefined_cycles

Lazarus wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 8:08 pm 1. Dropper - that is a good life for a dropper might just be time to bite the bullet as they are £50 new for a 100 mmm dropper from crc
2. Wider tyres are more draggy [ though it may just be the lack of mud] so I use wider in winter narrower in summer - that is a s scientific asI get personally.
3. I use time and I have a platform set on the big FS [ other 4 are non platform] but dont really notice any difference between platform v non platform
Thanks Jon. Didn't realise they're still £50. Thought they'd gone crazy mental on price and yeah, 6 years is a bit excessive. One problem I have is the seattube is kinked so a certain length won't fit die to the shaft being longer.

Hopefully (from some quick head calculations) it's probably the longer dropper that won't fit due to a longer shaft/hidden post needed to take the extra length.
redefined_cycles

Indeed this is what had me thinking I should at least try a 2.4! But thought best to ask first for anything decisive (in summer/dry).
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Just to confuse the tyre issues Shaf - have you also considered profile, tread pattern, shore rating and obviously air pressure? Much more to it than width.
May the bridges you burn light your way
redefined_cycles

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 9:04 pm Just to confuse the tyre issues Shaf - have you also considered profile, tread pattern, shore rating and obviously air pressure? Much more to it than width.
Yes, defo. I think I've gotten to as fast as I can get these now. Pressures are about 13 up front (which is a Chronicle 3.0 and probably going after the forks are in as they're probably gonna struggle with a proper semi-fat) and a 2.8 at the back. Which is where I'm thinking about seeing if I can get a better width (and thus will reconsider profile once more) if it'll be faster. I'm on about 15 psi at the back and its a medium weight tyre. Anything superlight will be shredded soon after 30 reps!
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

it's probably the longer dropper that won't fit due to a longer shaft/hidden post needed to take the extra length.
I can measure mine if you want
redefined_cycles

Sorry. Rear is a Rekon+ 2.8 in 27.5... 15psi.
Front is the chronicle 3.0 at 8psi which could probably have a couple more psi (but if it bounces me about then I'll try it at 9).
riderdown

Post by riderdown »

Unfortunately the climb is drastically challenging (over the past 15 years and 80 ascents, only about 10 have been without putting a foot down or walking. Other than the constant undulations and finding the right line through the terrain, I'd say it is really good, yes. But will check the plumb line once again
Other climbs are available..........
redefined_cycles

Nah... This is the chosen one :grin:
yourguitarhero

Post by yourguitarhero »

redefined_cycles wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 8:13 pm
Lazarus wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 8:08 pm 1. Dropper - that is a good life for a dropper might just be time to bite the bullet as they are £50 new for a 100 mmm dropper from crc
Thanks Jon. Didn't realise they're still £50. Thought they'd gone crazy mental on price and yeah, 6 years is a bit excessive. One problem I have is the seattube is kinked so a certain length won't fit die to the shaft being longer.

Hopefully (from some quick head calculations) it's probably the longer dropper that won't fit due to a longer shaft/hidden post needed to take the extra length.
The OneUp droppers have the lowest seat tube insertion length to post drop distance. I had to get one for one of my bikes due to a kinked tube.
They're pretty good droppers and can be serviced at home. Think they are about £200 new
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

When going gets steep on mountain paths, but still just about rideable for me, I even feel a difference in Schwalbe Big Betty and Magic Mary, the latter offering substantially more traction. Looking at a Rekon compared to the two mentioned, just get a 2.8" Magic Mary and be happy by the stupid amount of grip it offers :grin:
redefined_cycles

Alpinum wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:03 am When going gets steep on mountain paths, but still just about rideable for me, I even feel a difference in Schwalbe Big Betty and Magic Mary, the latter offering substantially more traction. Looking at a Rekon compared to the two mentioned, just get a 2.8" Magic Mary and be happy by the stupid amount of grip it offers :grin:
Nice1 Gian. I'll give that a shot if I can find a deal (or maybe havevone hidden away in shed).
redefined_cycles

Since last night and this am, the 150mm Ascend has gone from £150ish to £90... Ordered (459mm total length so according my my measurement, should fit).. Thanks all...

The OneUp looks amazing btw and winning loads of awards, just couldn't push to the £200 as the 27.2 (120mm drop) states it can't be shimmed. Was hoping to buy for the 27.2 Santa Cruz and shim it to the Pinnacle for the mo!
substandard

Post by substandard »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 9:04 pm Just to confuse the tyre issues Shaf - have you also considered profile, tread pattern, shore rating and obviously air pressure? Much more to it than width.
Totally agree with this

E.g a 3.0” xr2 will be faster rolling than any width of maxxis minion

A 2.6” mezcal will be faster than pretty anything else that’s useful for mtb trails through the drier months.
redefined_cycles

Good point SS. Isn't the xr2 supposed to be the lightweight option over an xr4 team issue... Is the team issue almost as fast?

Mezcal is probably above my budget as they tend to remain higher priced? Are they strong enough for rocky trails!?
redefined_cycles

Edit (after he thinks about a few extra seconds of gain per climb): actually maybe a Mezcal up back is the answer. Not planning on doing a wet ride for that and if a Mezcal is rock-proof (in comparison to one of the lighter WTB options for example) then it might be what I want/need.

Thanks..
redefined_cycles

https://www.sportsdirect.com/vittoria-m ... e=93935803

Anyone know if these in non tubeless are hard to make tubeless?
substandard

Post by substandard »

redefined_cycles wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 12:19 pm Good point SS. Isn't the xr2 supposed to be the lightweight option over an xr4 team issue... Is the team issue almost as fast?

Mezcal is probably above my budget as they tend to remain higher priced? Are they strong enough for rocky trails!?
The xr4s are like Velcro on the road in comparison to xr2

Used xr4 2.6 for last years bearbones200, confidence inspiring on the slippy stuff but they were so draggy on the smoother sections, would never use such a grippy tyre for distance again!!
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Anyone know if these in non tubeless are hard to make tubeless?
Never struggled* to get a non tubeless MTB tyre set up unless its continental and have done a couple of Vittoria ones- no direct experience with that one though.

* I have + tyre that is non tubeless that slowly leaks[no idea where] but never loses bead so its annoying but not unmanageable
Johnallan

Post by Johnallan »

I use 2.6 mezcals f&r on everything, all year round. Plus the cheapest shimano spds and no dropper (or suspension). Uncomplicated, reliable and more capable than the rider
redefined_cycles

Johnallan wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 1:49 pm I use 2.6 mezcals f&r on everything, all year round. Plus the cheapest shimano spds and no dropper (or suspension). Uncomplicated, reliable and more capable than the rider
But you and many others are legendary material. We standard folks need all the help we can get. I remember way back when going without a dropper but really wouldn't manage now :smile: