MTB up - an Everesting journey!

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Re: MTB up - an Everesting journey!

Post by redefined_cycles »

Lovely point to update the thread. After almost 5 days recovering from the last big training ride - which I think was probably the highest level I've of training I've done so far and learnt a lesson - I managed to get back out to the trail today. Expecting to do the adapted versio of the ascent from that tree, but miraculously it'd been cleared. Spoke to the farmer-lady who was equally stunned. Apprently it was the local estate that's cleared it up (within just three weeks :o ) and the last time I witnessed a fallen tree on this path it took almost 1 year for it to be cleared.

Did some fence-post repairing with the farmer to try and do my bit for the path. After watching Killian Jornet and his strategy for training - he talks about always leaving something in the tank - I'd decided to try and get past my fatigue problem by sticking to this method from now. Erm...

So, after watching/listening to a few Everesting (sorry) podcasts I've concluded that for me, doing a proper mtb version isn't too clever. Well beyond my capabilities, which means a couple of weeks ago I've adapted the 'project'. I'll be aiming for 6400m instead as this means I have more chance of only being out for 24h or less.

Also, opened up a sponsorship page to try and combat the Afghanistan (sorry) hinger crisis. Hopefully will try to raise £64000 for the needy and do my bit. That's £10 per metre up :-bd and if anyone wants to sponsor me, just ask (it'll be much appreciated by not only myself but some poor-poverty stricken souls out there). As it so happens about £40 have been donated by random strangers - farmer gave me £10 today and another long distance walking chap sponsored me about £30 on one of the training rides :-bd

Oh, and I know maybe someone might be wondering where the 6400m number came from. Well, firstly it's still uber-tough but mainly it's the height at which Advanced Base Camp sits. ABC apparently being the highest hike on earth for which crampons and climbing gear isn't needed :smile: Anyway... some pics!!

The bloomin rocks keep moving and making things slightly dodge! So I'm constantly having to rebuild the trail. This being my latest restructuring (after I'd moved the 30cm x 30cm rock further up the trail). For anyone wondering where the rebuild is, it's the three-rock formation to the left of the pic.

Legendary walker training for a 30 miler for Alzheimers Society. He actually waited for me at the bottom of the trail to enquire as to what I was upto. Then became my first ever sponsor. May Allah guide his heart to that which is best - ameen.

So many amazing goings on during this training-thing. Spoted the farmer about a month ago using the hay-bailer. Significant to me cos as a new nurse on the polytrauma unit I actually looked after a farmer who'd been 'mangled' inside the hay bailer. Farmers are amazing creatures and even after having much of the body parts amputated, he'd always carry a smile. Well, now I know what (the equipment that) caused the incident (looks like) :o May Allah give him the best!

No actual pics of the fence I helped put up today. But before departing from training I cheekily asked her if there were any taps about. She told me of a secret tap on their farm but asked me not to tell anyone :-bd Alhamdulillah :grin:
Cath

Post by Cath »

I went past your fallen branch on Sunday whilst doing the NP100 - a fine specimen it used to be, happily there was just enough room to push past :grin: probably went so fast as it looked useful for carpentry, whittling or firewood.

Enjoyed the route - not so much the wind and rain. Di I mention the wind?

As you created the NP100 I suppose it would be good form to donate - do you have a link?
redefined_cycles

Cath wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 3:39 pm I went past your fallen branch on Sunday whilst doing the NP100 - a fine specimen it used to be, happily there was just enough room to push past :grin: probably went so fast as it looked useful for carpentry, whittling or firewood.

Enjoyed the route - not so much the wind and rain. Di I mention the wind?

As you created the NP100 I suppose it would be good form to donate - do you have a link?
So nice of you Cath. Dont forget to share your time (assuming it was unsupported but not a problem if it wasn't) so I can pop it on the timings page :-bd

https://campaigns.givebrite.com/everesting4afghanistan

:-bd
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Thanks for the updates Shaf.
Why not just try and do as much as you can? No numbers whilst you're at it. Just the feeling. Once you feel sub standard, just dig deeper. Then again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. Etc.
Until you can't hold yourself on the bike anymore.
Just a thought...
redefined_cycles wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 6:26 pm Well, firstly it's still uber-tough but mainly it's the height at which Advanced Base Camp sits. ABC apparently being the highest hike on earth for which crampons and climbing gear isn't needed :smile: Anyway... some pics!!
You can hike up Aconcagua (6961 m), without crampons during the warmer season. I was above 6500 m twice in the Atacama (way north of Aconcagua) without crampons (early summer). I carried a 200 g ice axe and micro spikes, but besides using the axe to build a platform for the tent and chop ice to melt, I never used it.
Ojos del Salado is regularly being ridden by bike. 6893 m high.

If you go by your alternative numbers, you might want to do 7 more laps :wink:
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

Hey Shaf, is there a link to the NP100
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Hey Shaf, is there a link to the NP100
I will email it to you
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

dlovett wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 7:45 pm Hey Shaf, is there a link to the NP100
Here's the main thread https://bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk/phpB ... 10&t=17445 I think there might be a link to the GPX on it. Last I looked the GPX was hosted on OutdoorActive and you needed an account to view it.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
redefined_cycles

Hopefully you're all sorted now Duncan. Feel free to send out the link/gpx as far and wide as you can. As I'm hoping to get it properly trodden and looking/staying good/groomed for generations to come.

Let me know if you still need the link but hopefully Jon managed to get it across to you (thanks v much John) :-bd
Last edited by redefined_cycles on Fri Jul 21, 2023 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
redefined_cycles

Alpinum wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 7:29 pm Thanks for the updates Shaf.
Why not just try and do as much as you can? No numbers whilst you're at it. Just the feeling. Once you feel sub standard, just dig deeper. Then again. And again. And again. And again. And again. And again. Etc.
Until you can't hold yourself on the bike anymore.
Just a thought...
redefined_cycles wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 6:26 pm Well, firstly it's still uber-tough but mainly it's the height at which Advanced Base Camp sits. ABC apparently being the highest hike on earth for which crampons and climbing gear isn't needed :smile: Anyway... some pics!!
You can hike up Aconcagua (6961 m), without crampons during the warmer season. I was above 6500 m twice in the Atacama (way north of Aconcagua) without crampons (early summer). I carried a 200 g ice axe and micro spikes, but besides using the axe to build a platform for the tent and chop ice to melt, I never used it.

If you go by your alternative numbers, you might want to do 7 more laps :wink:
Thanks Gian. So, yes, about going all out with the legs that'll hopefully be on an extreme training ride at some point. But time is limited and there's a few rides that'll need some proper recovery before the next, so trying to co-ordinate the periods between them properly. Partly also due to time commitments elsewhere/family and stuff.

Before I go off on a tangent. Current training and conditioning of the legs (wihtin the short time periods I sometimes have) is riding a big ring (34) and wearing the backpack. On the big training test days - which I'll aim for half or more the total 6400m but without exhausting myself totally - I'll be putting on a 30t and leaving the pack off the back. Minimised weight etc etc.

Something else I was gonna state but I forget... erm... Oh, yes. Doing a proper mtb climb. My podcasting research (mainly the Everesting podcast)
has also confimred that there's really not many folks that have attempted a proper mtb Everesting (though there are a few on YT). This chap has done 10 (mainly road but a couple gravel) and he's super informative/humble IMHO.

https://open.spotify.com/episode/74iFBQ ... jhvImn61-A
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

redefined_cycles wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 2:08 pm
Hopefully you're all sorted now Duncan. Feel free to send out the link/gpx as far and wide as you can. As I'm hoping to get it properly trodden and looking/staying good/groomed for generations to come.

Let me know if you still need the link but hopefully Jon managed to get it across to you (thanks v much John) :-bd
yep all good thanks, hopefully next time I am up North I'll try to give it a blast.
redefined_cycles

Actually... Wow :o
riderdown

Post by riderdown »

I'd stop mentioning it otherwise BB200 might get an interesting route
redefined_cycles

riderdown wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 3:40 pm I'd stop mentioning it otherwise BB200 might get an interesting route
You mean to stop mentioning the Everesting progress :smile: . I try not to update too often but I think there is a few interested watchers. Plus it helps me rationalise the training/progress. Hopefully Stus route won't be affected as he hardly ever ventures over here :-bd
riderdown

Post by riderdown »

I meant cycling up a real mountain

The everesting up and down a track is par for the course
redefined_cycles

I meant cycling up a real mountain

The everesting up and down a track is par for the course
Aha. Yes. Very true. Doesn't Stu include plenty of them anyway. I juat remember last year [edit - I meant the year before] going up and up and up. Felt like an age and I definitely couldn't ride it up :o Hopefully Stu doesn't make a '2014 course'. :sad:
redefined_cycles

Without fear of being seen as the village idiot, I'll update the thread :-bd So last few days have been spent without training. Though some core exercises been done at home (in my free time :o ) and I'll soon save up and have an updated pull up bar!

Today, without prejudice, I got the other slippy rear tyre up back. A lovely Mezcal in 2.6 width. Gave myself a but of a talking to. Dodged yet another set of heavy extended-fall rain, and got myself on the climb.

Little monkey wanted to come along, now that he's seen the trail and managed a walk/ride up three times (with dad pushing at some key sections), but I had to put down my foot. Don't want to be seen as a mtb-abuser and also want him to keep loving the mountain biking.

Him, braving the rain the other day and making it look easy. Head to toe in waterproofs and only wanted to go home after the second climb cos his digits were cold. Naturally I made him do another, for the road!

This is me after 2.5 slimy ascents. I'll say there slimy uphill and scary-greasy on the down. This rest was well earned as it's a slip, slip, ride ride. Then every so often the slip goes out of sync and a have to dab. 0.5 uphill miles, with the slipping are being converted to probably 0.53 miles.

Nothing to see here, but I will say that The North Face was painful before, but today it's almost feeling impossible. Managed probably just the one without slipping out. Each ascent of the full length of climb needing a fresh line - for mental health needs.

Do feel like an idiot, but that's what I also see the proper Everest climbers... £40k of life saving minimal to make it happen. With the fear (for some who are fearless, lets call it 'risk') of death being very real on every step of the journey. At least mine isn't meaning I'm out of £40k in pocket and at least, InshaAllah it really benefits the needy.

Maybe some people will stand back and see Afghanistan for what it is - a 40 year long situation of systematic abuse of its people. First by Russia, then by the disgusting war lords (I usually don't curse but these lot were something else - may Allah hold them to account), then by the American war machine with lots of help by (many of, but not all) the western (double standards) media channels.

I digress... So in conclusion. It's painful. Slippery. Stressful (which is the teaining part for the other rides as I can't see them being more of a brain-train than thia). Painful (at times).

Worst of all, since I started the training I've actually put on 4kg :shock: I doubt much of it is muscle, but one can hope!!

Oh well... Best get back to work (I mean, 'slippering-ing').

PS. The Magic Mary will be here soon enough so hopefully wverything can 'Stick Like &&*t'.
redefined_cycles

Right, so, whilst the body is still a hurting I may as well report summat. Was gonna put in the 'todays ride' thread but it was purely training for this attempt. So here goes and I shall keep it brief. I actually took a timeline of pics so hopefully that'll help.

Firstly, I've not ridden/trained for almost a week but other more pressing matters (like, working and paying the bills) have been taken care of. So everything is in appropriate proportions, though I'll probably struggle on the day for the Advanced Base Camp attempt (6400m not 8849 which is the new/current height of Everest).

A mate who'd messaged after walking up it, 'how will you manage'. Don't know was my response and a God Willing type of reply was returned. I also swnt him the official start of the climb as he wasn't sure - he'll be helping with the fundraising so good to know!

People that might have been following the thread (not many, I know :smile: ) may have recognised this. Named by myself many weeks ago as, 'The North Face'. Cos it's probably the hardest section of the climb and as far as I know, The North Face is always reserved for the hardest side of the mountain. I always struggle mentally and well as physically when I here.

This also reminds me of why I'd stayed away a bit more this week. The rain for the past 10 days meant this impossible (for me) climb was made ever more 'inappropriate'. Slipped at the North Face on my first ascent so took that pic, remounted and continued - for some more slipping further up. A bit more psi removed from the tyre which was already down to 14psi before I left home.

Next ascent with the lowered psi and it did it again. So a more accurate pic of exactly where the tyre was losing footing. In my eyes, there is no better option to get up this section so I just needed to work it out. Add to that, even though the lowered psi - probably a pressure of about 13 by now - was better for grip, it meant that on the downhill just a moment ago I felt like I'd blown the tyre.

Looked underfoot and it was all intact, so them rocks were obviously giving this a hard time. This might sound a bit daft, but, kinda perfect for an Everesting (or thereabouts) attempt as it's not a smooth road to the top. Albeit alot more gnarly (and impossible) than what I am trying to do.

Any-how, this shows the other side of the tyre of where I'd lost grip. If only that Magic Mary would have fit as it's known to dig into anything. Mind had almost been made up by now that I'll be going for a 3.0 width tyre soon enough. Currently on a 2.8!

So far both ascents had been slippery and I'd had to dab. Then lots of energy trying to remount. Here was the next sections of where the tyre lost grip. Just after a 20% gradient so I'm not complaining too much. Just needed to work harder, like they say in the parachute regiment apparently.

Glad to report that they were the only 2 attempts where I'd had to dab. By not using the second to lowest gear right from the start of the climb, I had enough energy to manage The North Face by the time it arrived. Now my tyre wasn't gonna dig in at all, but what I did find is that I just needed to get enough momentum to roll over the problem area.

Next two ascents and I managed to get over The North Face as well as the 20% section and beyond. Wasn't easy, but it's all still wet. Needed to get home, though I did have plenty more climb in me I believe

Did the final ascent a bit slower again so as not to smash the rear rim against the rocks. Said hello to this stray cow (Karl aends his regards) and finished the ride.

Decided to go a different route home, so as to have an easy time but also miss too much tarmac. This here was is being reconstructed by the farmer who we met a few weeks ago on a local walk with the family. Looking good :-bd
redefined_cycles

So, for completeness of information, I'm all set for next week. Not to be confused for 'all ready' or 'all prepared'. Just gonna tell myself I'm able, over and over and keep taking it steady away. An attempt afterall and £500 (or so) has already been raised for the hunger crisis developing in Afghanistan.

Some iron horse (or bicycle) notes.

Dropped to a 30t chainring but been training on a 34. So that should help.

Rear tyre, finally settled on a 3.0 Chronicle and it seems to be gripping nicely. Down to about 12psi.

Lets see how I go as my final weeks training plan is as below:

Final Week Training Plan

lots of sleep.

2 rides of 3 hours.

Target of an Everesting means the final third I'll be tired - aim to put little effort in first 3000m... Bit more in next 3000m. Final 3000m I must put it all.

Reduce solid foods - 2 x carbohydrates = body able to absorb 90g of carb/H [edit so will aim for fructose; minimal glucose and liquid foods]

3H Sunday.

3H Tues

30 mins Wednesday & taper off.

Big ride Sunday IA...

Electrolytes; bullet proof coffee x 3; 30t gearing + 3 inch rear tyre.

Charge lights front and rear!
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

I wish you the best of luck, hopefully all will go well.
redefined_cycles

Thanks Duncan. I'm gonna will myself up each climb. Lots of smiling and talking to myself words of positivity. Liquid diet (or soft mushy) as much as I can afford and the lower gear must be working. I'm almost unable to ride it on a flat as I just spin out even in the highest ratio.

Another thing I'll be doing is, that each climb I slip out on. I'll just walk a few metres to the next appropriate area to get back on/leverage. No heroics of trying to ride every inch of every climb. That was on the training but this will give me lots of HAB exp for the upcoming 'everyones favourite ride'.
riderdown

Post by riderdown »

That was on the training but this will give me lots of HAB exp for the upcoming 'everyones favourite ride'.
I'd add hoisting a fully laiden bike over a 5 bar gate at the top each time if you are training for that
redefined_cycles

That was on the training but this will give me lots of HAB exp for the upcoming 'everyones favourite ride'.
I'd add hoisting a fully laiden bike over a 5 bar gate at the top each time if you are training for that
Nope... not training for that :lol: Nor for riding through turnips (not sure how it can be done to be honest). Really glad I took the plunge though cos without this minimal training for Sundays ride, I'd be well behind for the Oct ride. Now at least I may have a few nickels in the bank!
redefined_cycles

Big day tomorrow and the next. This morning had me thinking about calming the nerves (like you do) so had one last but of training thing left. Contacted a headlight restorer and voila...

Can ride in peace now knowing I have clear lenses for the foreseeable future. Will do an upgrade clearcoat with 3M wipes as suggested by the detailer :-bd
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

When you doing it, might be a bit warm