Best of luck!
thenorthwind

Re: MTB up - an Everesting journey!

Post by thenorthwind »

Good luck Shaf! :-bd
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Thanks all... On 2200m of elevation (over 25 miles of which 12 or 13 is up). Had a few friends this morning helping with fundraising by making some sort of vid (well, they took lots of pictures and the drone was out). That really helped..

But then also had my young un come up for a few repeats. Came up with his uncle (my younger sibling), who's kids are given the 'right to roam' (nothing wrong with that, he has different philosophy to me who likes to know where the young uns are at all times). Anyway, so whilst the young uns joining me for a few repeats and me being happy to supervise. The 'nanny' exp has left me a bit more drained than expected.

Especially since the DH of this climb (which is starting to hit my legs now a little, not knackered but wary... not weary) is one of those that I've always avoided as it has the potential for life changing injuries. They're gone now and I'll cont, but the mental drain of worry about someone cracking a skull (like I spoke to my young un on the last DH, it's called an 'accident' cos it happens by...).

In a more positive note (not that it wasn't positive as they both walked/rode fanstastically and within limits but with me in supervision and not my bro) I saw a hare. Stood super still and got some shots in thw distance. Then another (younger, 'I'm not btohered' sibling it seemed) walked out from unde rmy very nose!! What would captain in TinTin say!!

Also, kept hearing a ruffling in the undergrowth and finally saw it. A door mouse or some sort of tiny mice. They're all over and cute (and don't comw close). Can be hward but not seen.

To top it all off, the farmer at the top just told me and my young un about the local owls. 2 of em who have babies. The babies come out at dusk to prqcrice flying, so I might well have a life changing exp myself!
ton

Post by ton »

How did you get on Shaf ?
redefined_cycles

So, in a nutshell, I completed my ride but not the intended 6400m orthe full Everest of 8849m. I called it a day at halfway, 4528m of up. 11 hours riding, 27h total time with 3.5 pf that trying to sleep in the field with a builders roo sheet (ta Bob) andy feet in my backpack for warmth. The rest I can only assume was faff or toilet time.

Started at 1130 on Sunday and this was mainly food. Didnt quite run out but took some pure choc of my bro. That probably helped turn and mangle my stomach.

Early on I spotted a hare. Stood really still and took some pics, then its cousin came jumping out past me. It was only 2m away!

The rocks I'd laid at The North Face remained intact, but did little for respite at this 20% jump!

Looking at the view leading to the Death Zone, really had me questioning my life choices. So called (DZ) as you're already struggling for oxygen from the 20% North Face just earlier and then the constant 16% rock garden. Even from the opposite end, coming down, it's where you can really have some pife changing injuries if not super careful.

Incidentally, it's one of the reasons I never include this as a DH on local rides. I always go up it, but thankfully no mishaps in all 51 descents. Also my 8 year old who came for 5 reps on day 1 managed it without incident. Followed my instructions the good lad!

The days were absolutely superb, though this probably led to a bit of heat exhaustion. Heart rate hitting 181 on that 20% section on the Sunday. Lots of hydration and some electolytes tablets meant it came back down to a manageable 150. But the heat on day 2 meant I still became dehydrated due to salt losses and had to lick my own arms for some respite/replacement.

On a different note, when starting to write this I felt something on my belly. Moved it and got stung by a horrible wasp. Now it's sat on the lightbukb and refuses to go. Windows open but it's night and I don't have the luxury of turning off the lights and seeing if it just goes... First world problems.

Rear brake pad wore out again in the morning, but this time (as opposed to the previous time when I'd started training here and couldn't understand why my brakes were suddenly acting up)I caught it quickly and thankfully I'd brought a spare pair. Smaller rear rotor and my trying not to 'endover' at the rock garden probably doesn't help.

I'd gone out with the mindset of a full 9000m. So knowing I'd be out for a long while, some sort of sleeping arrangments were made. Took this builders/roof sheet and my down jacket. Ensured I didn't sleep for long and that I wasn't weighed down with lots of bivy gear. I wrapped myself in it, though it was cold. Cap on head and feet inside backpack. Managed to get 3.5 hours broken into 3 pieces... partly due to needing a wee twice (intentionally inflicted to ensure I did'nt oversleep.

After giving up today at about lunchtime, as it was obviously not doable (safely) by me in this heat, I spied this heron. Tried various strategies of heat management by tying the helmet to the toptube on the way up, but the risk of forgetting on the DH was too steep!

General knackerdness and being out for a total of 27H already meant I called it a day at half an Everest. Can (this gnarly climb) it be done, not sure. But whoever does it would need to put on a superhuman effort. Maybe some more training and I'll try tackling it again. Especially since my actual ride time for the half was only 11 hours (which still doesn't make any sense to me).

Did I lose my head... No, don't think so and when I decided to call it a trail running elder was coming downhill. He agreed, despite having done the Bob Graham Round twice, that climbing this 100 times and down it was mental. Especially the hairy 20% sections where we'd met. Monhe raised for the Afghan Hunger Crisis £950 and counting. Wasp still sat on light bulb!

Image MTB Everesting, what a gorgeous way of whiling away the time.
redefined_cycles

Forgot to mention the 3 deer spotted early morning, this spider and the cute field mice rustling in the under growth. Spider looked rather fierce! Wasp stings hurt!

A more complete report here https://strava.app.link/aKhAZNrkQCb