Puncture Protection

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Itchynuts

Puncture Protection

Post by Itchynuts »

Has anyone tried Tannus Armour?

There used to be just a tubed version but there is a tubeless version as well now which must be relatively new.
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Puncture Protection

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Will it prevent sidewall tears / gashes? If not, is 'puncture protection' required in a tubeless set up?
May the bridges you burn light your way
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

It does give sidewall protection but only a few mm - hard to tell exactly how much.
My main objection is its not at all cheap at £50 per tyre [ the non tubeless claim a life of 4000 miles]

I can see the "run flat" as an advantage but doubt its that effective off road for much distance and if it was fitted to a bike i would ride it but i would not buy it personally
Itchynuts

Post by Itchynuts »

I was wondering if anyone had fitted/used them. The tubed version particularly.

The sidewall protection is to try to save the rims rather than the tyres as far as I know.

They also mention the ability to run much lower tyre pressures than usual with tubes.

Overall, sounds way too good to be true.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

we are trying to be helpful, though I get why you think its not, and tubeless also allows you to run at lower pressures and is way cheaper .
Good luck getting an answer.
Itchynuts

Post by Itchynuts »

I don't think the comments have been unhelpful.

I wondered if anyone had tried them.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 8:45 am If not, is 'puncture protection' required in a tubeless set up?
Required - definately no.

Does it help - definately yes.
Would you feel a beneficial difference riding eg in Wales - yes.

Itchynuts wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 2:45 pm I wondered if anyone had tried them.
nope, not the Tannus. A friend uses the Tannus Tubeless Liner and swears by it. But then he's not tried anything else.

I've so far only tried CushCore, HuckNorris, Tubolight and Vittoria Air Liner Light.
For a typical bikepacking event like eg HT550 a lightweight tyre and lightweight (<100 g) insert will allow for more comfort, less fatigue and require less attention in rocky sections.
What I find most interesting with inserts is the much higher progression of the tyres. You can ride low pressures for superb small bump compliance and yet no punctures.

As mentioned on here before, riding an insert solved issues I had with an extremely capable HT with it's 27.5 x 2.8" tyre.

With the advent of many different offers of lightweight inserts, I've started to completely rethink the way I use tyres.
u02sgb

Post by u02sgb »

@Alpinum, of the ones you've used what do you rate?

I've been thinking about one for "lightweight rear tyre ht550" like duties. Still not sure though as they look like a right faff to get on.
Boab

Post by Boab »

Itchynuts wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 8:41 am Has anyone tried Tannus Armour?
Yes. I ran the tubed version in the rear wheel of my gravel bike for a bit, as I kept getting pinch flats with the tubeless setup I was running at the time. Didn't stop me from getting a puncture or two, but then a six inch nail, or monster Blackthorn spike will do that. When I switch tyres and ditched the insert, it was like riding a different bike, way more responsive and fun to fling around. Your mileage may vary though, depending on what you ride and where you ride. Personally, I wouldn't buy it again. I think I still have the insert in the shed, DM me your address and I'll send you it to try.
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

u02sgb wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 9:40 am @Alpinum, of the ones you've used what do you rate?

I've been thinking about one for "lightweight rear tyre ht550" like duties. Still not sure though as they look like a right faff to get on.
CushCore was awful to mount.
HuckNorris was quite okay, just a little different to w/o inserts, Tubolight and Vittoria Air Liner Light almost as easy as without.

Depends a bit, HuckNorris for heavy duty stuff on the HT, Vittoria Air Liner Light for eg Maxxis EXO Ikon/Forekaster for the short travel trail bike (I get away with eg Schwalbe Super Ground or Super Trail tyres on that bike w/o inserts) or Super Ground Magic Mary and/or Super Trail Big Betty on the long travel trail bike.

With ~50 g for the Air Liner Light and the way it works for my kind of mountainbiking and looking across the Channel, yes, Vittoria seems most suitable.

Tried said inserts on either 29 x 2.4, 29 x 2.6 or 27.5 x 2.8. No experience on eg 700 x 45 but given how I ride the gravel bike I might benefit from a lightweight insert too. But as Boab say, to a certain amount it dampens a part of what makes offroad riding so exhilarating.
I just end up riding faster to get the same thrill again ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ .
u02sgb

Post by u02sgb »

Thanks, might give the Vittoria's a go then. I followed your cinturatto gravel h recommendation for the gravel bike and was really pleased with them.
Cheers,
Stu.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

u02sgb wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 8:42 pm Thanks, might give the Vittoria's a go then. I followed your cinturatto gravel h recommendation for the gravel bike and was really pleased with them.
Cheers,
Stu.
Lovely, thanks for letting me know.

I just made a few phone calls because I need two new inserts for a new bike. Here's what I found out;
The Vittoria Air Liner Light is (very) hard to get hands on. Not listed in sales yet.
The former Huck Norris size M, which I also use and comes in at ~85 g seems to be replaced by Huck Norris Toast, which now comes im 55 mm and 60 mm; both much heavier than the ones I got some years ago.

Tubolight EVO SL comes closest to the Air Liner Light and (at least in Switzerland) is available. Beside the colour I couldn't tell a difference during installation or riding to the Air Liner Light.
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

In answer to the original question, I've used a Tannus tubeless armour insert in the rear of my enduro bike. I'd read various reviews and decided that I wanted something that felt more normal than a full on insert like Cushcore Pro. The two recommendations seemed to be Cushcore XC and Tannus tubeless armour. I went with the Tannus because it was cheaper. Overall I've not been super impressed, I recently tore the side wall of my rear tyre and hoped the Tannus would get me home as a run flat to save faffing about on the hill (I was riding local trails). It did do this but I wasn't filled with confidence and ended up walking hard surfaces sections and only riding very slowly on grassy bits. After taking the insert out and changing my tyre I didn't bother refitting it again as I didn't feel that it offered enough positive advantage to offset the extra faff.
For comparison, I've previously used the ghetto option of backer rod (Google it) as recommended on some STW threads. I had 40mm diameter rod and managed to squash that into a Maxxis WT tyre, it gave all the advantages of the Tannus at a fraction of the cost and offered true run flat ability. I burped a tyre riding at Comrie Croft one day and didn't even realise anything was wrong. After about five minutes riding I thought that it felt a little bit squirrelly and checked to find zero air in the tyre, it just pumped back up with a mini pump, reseated fine and there was no damage.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Jurassic wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 10:19 pm For comparison, I've previously used the ghetto option of backer rod (Google it) as recommended on some STW threads. I had 40mm diameter rod
What type exactly was it and what weight did they end up being?

Tried such foam tubes as well as pipe insulation ones and must have gotten the wrong ones. Same with old beaten up CCF sleeping mats.
Mostly CCF PE or a CCF PE blend of some sorts.
Either they weighed >200 g or even more to cover a internally 30 mm wide rim and give some protection/support or they were light but offered no protection.
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

Alpinum wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 12:35 pm
Jurassic wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 10:19 pm For comparison, I've previously used the ghetto option of backer rod (Google it) as recommended on some STW threads. I had 40mm diameter rod
What type exactly was it and what weight did they end up being?

Tried such foam tubes as well as pipe insulation ones and must have gotten the wrong ones. Same with old beaten up CCF sleeping mats.
Mostly CCF PE or a CCF PE blend of some sorts.
Either they weighed >200 g or even more to cover a internally 30 mm wide rim and give some protection/support or they were light but offered no protection.
It's a while since I bought it but I think it was this stuff (or similar).
[https://www.dortechdirect.co.uk/sjg-pol ... cular.html]
I bought quite a lot as it was so cheap. The thread on STW mentioned cutting it in half lengthwise with a bread knife but I experimented putting the whole thing in and it fitted in a Maxxis WT tyre (I've used it with an Aggressor, DHR 2 and High Roller 2). I had to add a bit to get the correct length in a 29er but the standard length that I bought is perfect for 27.5 (and I'm currently running a mullet set up so it's spot on). I haven't weighed it, it's probably not particularly light but I'm running a DD casing anyway on the rear so I'm not too bothered. Another fear I had was that it'd absorb sealant but I don't think if does anymore than other inserts that I've used.
It's not something that I'd do on my bikepacking bike but I've been happy with it on my big trail bike and latterly on my ebike.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

^ :-bd
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

Any suggestions for a run flat insert? I have fir the first time in years had a puncture that wouldn’t deal with sealant or worms. Of course it’s the nice new wtb venture. Flint has sliced a flap about 1cm square. I have put a tube in to get home and that’s gone bang within 10 minutes. So far I have walked a few hours but like the idea of a run flat insert that would allow slow progress on a road.

Also suggestions for a 29er version to go with the 29er Mezcals you guys have suggested.

Tia
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Any insert will get you home faster and a bit safer than a flat without.
Without ever tested different options I guess the chunkier the insert, the better it will be for running flat.

From the shape I can imagine Huck Norris, Rimpact, CushCore etc. to work better than the more roundish options.
Quite impressive how fast a skilled rider can go with an insert. One of the reasons they are also used in XCO and XCM races.

Since I (mostly) have all the time of the world to get back home and usually don't die if a tyre fails completely, I opted for the lightest options, which is already worlds better than just an empty tyre.
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

So going the ghetto route with closed Cell Circular Polyethylene Foam Backer Rod, what's the size to tyre ratio I want to look for? With 650x47 tyres in a 23 internal rim, do I want 30, 40, or 50mm rod?

Happy to give it a go at £1.9/m rather than spend £70 per wheel.
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

dlovett wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 1:52 pm So going the ghetto route with closed Cell Circular Polyethylene Foam Backer Rod, what's the size to tyre ratio I want to look for? With 650x47 tyres in a 23 internal rim, do I want 30, 40, or 50mm rod?

Happy to give it a go at £1.9/m rather than spend £70 per wheel.
Not sure for your tyre sizes but for comparison, I bought 40mm for 2.5 WT Maxxis tyres and it's a tight fit but doable. With my set up that does give a pretty decent run flat capability, you know that you have a flat but you're not too concerned about rim damage.