Cairngorms Looping

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

samwise

Cairngorms Looping

Post by samwise »

I thought I would share a few words, some photos and a video of my recent trip up to the Cairngorms to ride the inner & outer loops with two friends Matt & Matt! We decided to ride this over 5 days so we could take out time and enjoy the scenery.

Day 1 - After a sleepless night on the sleeper train, we had a full Scottish at the Blair Atholl Arms and headed off for a day of beautiful weather and terrain!

The singletrack section along Loch an Duin was a personal highlight of the day.

We pitched up outside Drakes Bothy for the night.

Day 2 - Things got interesting. An easy start to the day out to Loch Morlich with some breakfast and a resupply at the Pine Marten then it was back on the singletrack and solid few hours of hike a bike through rain, sleet & snow. We stopped at the Fords of Avon refuge to get some shelter from the wind, make some hot chocolate and try to prepare ourselves for the final push to Bob Scott's bothy.

We arrived at the bothy around 8pm and chatted to a couple of Dutch guys who also had a fun day hiking :lol: At midnight another bikepacker arrived looking extremely wet and glad to be out of the rain.

Day 3 saw more hiking over some boggy terrain (thanks to the previous days rain) to get over into Glen Feshie. We had the option here to take the eroded footpath, or cross the Feshie 3 times. We went for the river crossing option but when we reached the second crossing with no safe way across, we made the decision to retreat to the footpath.

However......in our crossing back over the Feshie we had a small incident involving an Ortlieb QR fork pack getting knocked from the mount and waving goodbye as it sailed down the river. They float very well.....

Once we were back on dry land we realised that the bag contained our main stove (luckily we had a spare) but unfortunately both of our gas canisters. Our lunch plan of a warm rehydrated meal was floating down the Feshie and our lesson learned that the spare gas might be better carried in a different bag!

Onto the foothpath, with a few eroded sections to deal with.....and then onto Ruigh Aiteachain bothy to eat some snacks and esacpe the rain before heading into Aviemore. The last section of road was very welcome at this point and we made it in time to grab some gas! We stayed at Oakwood campsite just outside Aviemore and the burger van there was also very welcome! :grin:

Day 4 - A pleasant day back on the outer loop. Lovely trails through Abernethy forest, hot soup in Tomintoul and of course a few more river crossings.

A final stretch of singletrack by Loch Builg then lead into a stunning decent into Braemar. We stayed at Rucksacks bunkhouse were the owner Kate went above and beyond to make sure we had everything we needed and could dry out all of our kit for the final day.

Day 5 - Covering some of the same ground along the River Dee before we were back on the singletrack heading towards Glen Tilt. Perhaps we should have carried on here instead of following the ITT route, as we had another hard afternoon in the wet and boggy conditions.

We made it back to the Blair Atholl bar by 6pm with a few hours to enjoy a well deserved pint and some food before heading back on the sleeper train.

I've put together a few clips of the trip here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqY-vvom_ek

Thanks for reading/looking!
Sam
thenorthwind

Re: Cairngorms Looping

Post by thenorthwind »

Looks like you got the full Scottish experience :-bd

Nice pics!
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

:-bd
A good winter assault on the route :grin:
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I did the eroded footpath section in the dark, probably best as then you cant see the drop :lol:

As for the ITT route off Glen Tilt... unless you're doing an ITT I'd recommend continuing down Glen Tilt*

* I've not ridden the continuation section but there's no way it could be worse than the climb/push up to Fealar Lodge :roll:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
samwise

Post by samwise »

fatbikephil wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 1:10 pm :-bd
A good winter assault on the route :grin:
No midges! Pick your poison? :lol:
sean_iow wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 1:32 pm I did the eroded footpath section in the dark, probably best as then you cant see the drop :lol:

As for the ITT route off Glen Tilt... unless you're doing an ITT I'd recommend continuing down Glen Tilt*

* I've not ridden the continuation section but there's no way it could be worse than the climb/push up to Fealar Lodge :roll:
Yep! The track at the lodge could not come soon enough! The boggy singletrack section across the tops before heading back down past Loch Moraig was also a grind!
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

sean_iow wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 1:32 pm * I've not ridden the continuation section but there's no way it could be worse than the climb/push up to Fealar Lodge :roll:
Shortly after the loop crosses the Tilt and heads up to Fealar Lodge you get a bit of singletrack (much easier than the stuff you've just done) for about a km then it's a decent vehicle track all the way down the glen. Mostly gently downhill but there's a few sizeable climbs here and there.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Looks great/cold and wet. Video is noce too, I especially like red bike Matt's cheery disposition.
samwise

Post by samwise »

Bearlegged wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 3:05 pm Looks great/cold and wet. Video is noce too, I especially like red bike Matt's cheery disposition.
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

Good effort. I enjoyed that