Tent seam sealing service

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ootini

Tent seam sealing service

Post by ootini »

Hi all,

So my SMD Skyscape leaked a little through the seams during the rain of the WRT, which leads me to believe, it needs the seams sealing.
Not one to want ruin my beloved tent, are there any businesses, preferably in the North Wales region, that provide this as a service? I get the feeling if I try doing this myself I'm likely to bollock it right up.

Thanks
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Tent seam sealing service

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Never come across one other than when offered by the manufacturer at point of sale.

In truth it's not difficult though - thin down the sealant (white spirit) and brush well into the seams. There's no need to form a 'bead' of sealer as it's the stitch holes where it'll leak, so it's those you're trying to seal.
May the bridges you burn light your way
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Not sure anyone does it but here's a video on how to do it with talk about using masking tape to limit the spread at about 4:40 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O82HNJNNiwE
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
ootini

Post by ootini »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 8:51 pm Never come across one other than when offered by the manufacturer at point of sale.

In truth it's not difficult though - thin down the sealant (white spirit) and brush well into the seams. There's no need to form a 'bead' of sealer as it's the stitch holes where it'll leak, so it's those you're trying to seal.
Cheers Stu. Apparently, according to ULOG, SMD don't even offer the service anymore. I might have to buy a tube and see what carnage I can wreak on my tent.

Thanks
ootini

Post by ootini »

whitestone wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 8:54 pm Not sure anyone does it but here's a video on how to do it with talk about using masking tape to limit the spread at about 4:40 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O82HNJNNiwE
Very handy. Thanks
ctznsmith

Post by ctznsmith »

Be prepared for it taking a very long time to stop being 'tacky'.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

A bit of chalk dust will help prevent the seams from sticking to themselves / each other.
May the bridges you burn light your way
ootini

Post by ootini »

Cheers all. The seam sealer should be arriving today.