Lakeland 200 Writeup

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Hyppy

Lakeland 200 Writeup

Post by Hyppy »

Hello! Long time lurker, finally a member, by way of an introduction, here's my write up of a Lakeland 200 ride a couple of weekends ago.

Lazarus

Re: Lakeland 200 Writeup

Post by Lazarus »

https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/shimano- ... 5mm-46-30/

Lower gearing crank for £30
You finished, had an adventure and learnt a lot but yes you need tougher tyres.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Welcome!

Nice one :-bd I did the Lakeland 200 last year in a minute over 38hrs - did a report somewhere on here if you search. It's far and away the hardest 200km ITT in the country and apart from the sections through the heart of Fisherfield and Torridon is way harder than pretty much anything on the HT550. In a way the LL200 has all the hard stuff of the HT550 in less than a quarter of the distance!

Tools - go round your bike and work out all the sizes of hex keys, etc that it needs. I have all my tools and spares in a "Jerry can" bag at the back end of the top tube so easily got at.

Gearing - I found that the steeper climbs on the HT550 weren't a problem, they were either stand and stomp or get off and walk. It was the long gradual climbs that wore you down especially later on. I had 30:42 as my lowest gear, this was on a rigid HT.

Tyres - yes, as tough as you can get. Also consider something like the CushCore type protectors - sections like the track around Ben Alder and that leading out of Fisherfield have quite a few sharp edged water drainage channels.

Eating - the newer Garmin units can load apps, I've one that's a timer - it beeps every 15mins as a reminder to eat/drink.

Edit - here's the thread from my attempt - viewtopic.php?p=287120#p287120 there's a link in there to the full account on my blog.
Last edited by whitestone on Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

Well done. It is a tough route - easier without luggage, like the sub 20 hr types or if you take 3-4 days. You went for the hardest option :wink:
"‘needless’ out and back got me to Seathwaite" - it's a lovely section of trail with some classic singletrack and helps make the route 200Km.
Garburn descent - has it been resurfaced? It certainly felt looser and sketchier a few weeks ago.
Wolfpack tyres - I got a pair and gave up after two rocky rides in the Lakes (including a puncture descending Garburn). Fixed 5 flats including 3 holes/slashes that I didn't notice happening. Replaced with Specialized tyres - Ground Control and Purgatory, control/Grid casings. I reckon a pair of Ground Control would be ideal for HT550 and at under £30 each, they're a bargain. Not a dissimilar tread to the Wolfpack. T7 is softer rubber than T5
https://www.specialized.com/gb/en/groun ... 475-203432
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Did garburn a few weeks ago and it looked more weathered rather than resurfaced.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Enjoyed that, thanks, and well done on finishing, particularly with all the mechanical issues :-bd

Always good to reflect and learn lessons - no better way to do that than getting out there and trying it.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

:-bd Good one, I enjoyed that, mechanicals are a royal PIA, but do add to the tale :grin:
Hyppy

Post by Hyppy »

Thanks for the replies and the advice, all.

I've sorted gearing, 34:51 now with a 32 ring on the way to try too, switched tyres and stuck inserts in as well. Gave them a good ~8 hour workout today, and they're definitely waterproof if nothing else. :lol:

Re. Garburn, bearing in mind it was dark on this descent but I'm pretty sure the s-bend section had had something done to it: it seemed wider and kinda raked, but then the whole thing changes so much after each and every storm so who knows.
Leerowe76

Post by Leerowe76 »

boxelder wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:39 am Well done. It is a tough route - easier without luggage, like the sub 20 hr types or if you take 3-4 days. You went for the hardest option :wink:
"‘needless’ out and back got me to Seathwaite" - it's a lovely section of trail with some classic singletrack and helps make the route 200Km.
Garburn descent - has it been resurfaced? It certainly felt looser and sketchier a few weeks ago.
Wolfpack tyres - I got a pair and gave up after two rocky rides in the Lakes (including a puncture descending Garburn). Fixed 5 flats including 3 holes/slashes that I didn't notice happening. Replaced with Specialized tyres - Ground Control and Purgatory, control/Grid casings. I reckon a pair of Ground Control would be ideal for HT550 and at under £30 each, they're a bargain. Not a dissimilar tread to the Wolfpack. T7 is softer rubber than T5
https://www.specialized.com/gb/en/groun ... 475-203432
If these have the reinforced sidewall they are indeed a bargain, great write up Pete and a great ride too :-bd
Living On Dreams & Custard Creams
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

If these have the reinforced sidewall they are indeed a bargain
They're the 'Control' casing, so medium tough. The Grid is the reinforced one. I've had no sidewall issues with either.
Leerowe76

Post by Leerowe76 »

Just thinking with it being the Lakes and as rough as it can be may be worth going for the Grid version just for extra protection, seen them at £30 ish also online :-bd

https://www.cyclestore.co.uk/specialize ... AkQAvD_BwE
Living On Dreams & Custard Creams