This year's set-up

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

rivers

This year's set-up

Post by rivers »

My bikepacking set-up is constantly evolving as I test what works and what doesn't for me. So this is this year's set-up
Bike: 46cm Orro Terra C
46/30 chainset, 11-42 cassette, 105 brifters, Deore rear mech, some aftermarket parts to make it all work
40mm Pirelli Cinturato M gravel tyres on fulcrum wheels
Sonder Spitfire bars with a 16° degree flare.
Brand X 105mm dropper post- even with the Tailfin, I still have full range of the dropper
With the exception of the shifters, wheels, and brakes none of this is the stock build.
Bags:
Restrap small handlebar bag/harness/food bag (sleep system, electronics, food)
Custom frame bag from bike-bag UK (hydration bladder, spare tubes)
Tailfin Aeropack (tent, poles, towel, coffee mug and coffee) with 5 litre mini-panniers (spare kit and warm jacket/hat on one side, bamboo base layer for sleeping, spare baselayer top and spare socks with some charging cables and plug on the other). As I'm going with friends one friend is taking a cook set and the other Toiletries. In my hip back, I have a first aid kit, water filter, and some snacks
rudedog

Re: This year's set-up

Post by rudedog »

My set up varies massively depending on the trip :grin:
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

How many months are you planning to be away for? :shock:
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Dont think I carry that much in winter and yes vary it for the trip ranging from I will probably not die with what I have [Sleeping bag , air mat, bivvy bag tools.] all the way through to I could survive sub zero temperature and a day without a supply stop.

I genuinely love the way we all do the same thing , in very different ways, with varying degrees of kit.
rivers

Post by rivers »

It looks a lot more than it is due to the size of my bike. My frame bag can just about fit my 3 litre hydration bladder and 2 x tubes. The handlebar roll is just a sleeping bag and mat. Tent is in the aeropack and the two little panniers have 1 x spare set of kit, bamboo base layer and packable jacket. I could have put them in the seat pack, but I wanted full use of the dropper. I'm only 5'2 so space is limited on the bike. My handle bar bag is rolled 7 times on each side to fit in between the bars.
RIP

Post by RIP »

rivers wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 11:53 am sleep system, electronics, food, hydration bladder, spare tubes, tent, poles, towel, coffee mug and coffee, warm jacket/hat on one side, bamboo base layer for sleeping, spare baselayer top and spare socks with some charging cables and plug on the other, cook set and the other Toiletries. In my hip back, I have a first aid kit, water filter, and some snacks.
Yeah, I'm a bit baffled, awww c'mon guys, give Rivers a break here, isn't all that lot more or less what we all take? Bit of an issue with all that water and wouldn't bother with any spare clothes, but apart from that looks reasonable?
Last edited by RIP on Fri Apr 28, 2023 11:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
RIP

Post by RIP »

rivers wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 5:47 pm 3 litre hydration bladder
So yes 3 litres sounds a little OTT? Nice water filter as mentioned; so unless wandering Gobi Desert, 500ml water bottle plus your filter should do the trick?
Last edited by RIP on Fri Apr 28, 2023 11:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Fargoist

Post by Fargoist »

Yeah same philosophy, without judgement I find it interesting how others do it.

Ticking over another 365 days on this sphere at midnight and as standard bought myself a gift to celebrate, which is a new frame. Needing to get back more into outdoors life including getting some experiences on the bike, in type 1,2 and 3 ways. This means i'm going lighter with the bike and kit to push to go further and for longer. Sticking with bivi bag, sleeping bag, mat and stove kit. Always carry a means to boil water and heat food. Debating whether its carbon fork or suspension, but will keep both. Currently 2 x 9 XT, possibly 2X10 XT soon but in no rush for 1 extra chainring.

Within the first mile of every trip with the loaded bike I feel freedom, let us all feel this way.
rivers

Post by rivers »

Just because it's a 3 litre bladder doesn't mean I fill it to the brim- this time of year I'll put about 1.5 litres in it. But i drink a lot of water (500-750ml on my 12 mile commute). Though last summer during the August heatwave, I was filling it 2-3 times/day. But I don't have the space for another bladder at the moment, so just use the one. My bike and kit storage area is what was a larder in my utility. And my wife doesn't take kindly to my stuff spilling out of the cupboard 3 × bikes, race wheels, road wheels for my gravel bike, winter tyres, turbo, all my bikepacking and camping kit- you get the idea. It's rammed and I'm not the most organised of people.
Spare kit- for one or 2 nights I wouldn't worry, but I'm away for 4. I went for my tent as opposed to bivvy as I want the space. Most nights I'm pinned up against a wall with my 16 month old on top of me. I have 4 nights away so I'm opting for a bit more space than my bivvy can offer.
jameso

Post by jameso »

A 3l bladder / spare large bottle is pretty useful if you fill up late afternoon and drink a bit as you ride, then camp out still have water for dinner and a morning brew. Quite like those folding runner's bottles or the bottle bags that come with Sawyer filters as spare capacity for that reason.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Looks like it works for you. Go have some adventures. That's what this lark is all about anyway.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Rivers, I always take my 3L water bladder almost everywhere. On a short 30 miler today and have it filled to about 1500ml. I think I've almost gone through it all (300 probably went on non-drinking duties etc). Hope you have a nice 4 days away :smile: