French Medical Cert Sign Off?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

GregMay

French Medical Cert Sign Off?

Post by GregMay »

I've an entry for CCC this summer. Big ultra race, smaller version of UTMB

First time I've had to go and get a medical certificate for any race, but appears to be the norm in France. Has to be signed off by a doctor.

Anyone had to get this done before? Just call GP and ask for appointment?
Bearlegged

Re: French Medical Cert Sign Off?

Post by Bearlegged »

That's how I did it. I get the impression that many GPs don't like doing it, as it's a slightly meaningless note (more "there are no obvious pre-existing conditions", rather than "this person is physically fit and able to do this event").
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

We did it for the French Divide a few years ago. Seemingly has to be done for any organised activity in France. Our GP provided the letter (for £40!) that just said "I know of no reason why X cannot do this event".

Didn't even need an appointment, we just turned up at the surgery, explained what we wanted and were told that they'd be in touch.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

whitestone wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 10:29 am We did it for the French Divide a few years ago. Seemingly has to be done for any organised activity in France. Our GP provided the letter (for £40!) that just said "I know of no reason why X cannot do this event".

Didn't even need an appointment, we just turned up at the surgery, explained what we wanted and were told that they'd be in touch.
This is a specific form that needs to be signed. Slightly different I guess.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

My one for Trans Balkans seems to require a stamp... which it's not getting as my doctor has never seen such a thing.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Could always sign it yourself, doubt they actually cross reference it on the day although it’s probably not worth the risk with all the training/flights etc

There was a thread in this last year I think over at STW forum if you dare step that way…

Edit - if something does go wrong, my idea could invalidate your insurance
Last edited by voodoo_simon on Thu Apr 27, 2023 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

Had to do this a couple of times, has just a box ticking exercise. Somebody else off here (who will remain nameless) signed his own something along the lines of Dr W White ☠️

My GP surgery signed mine, but I had to mither them a fair bit. Might even have a blank letter if you need one Greg..
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
jameso

Post by jameso »

Seems to be something insurers are asking for, it's a condition of an insurance policy I've been offered for the TNR - hence following with interest RE ease of obtaining / content etc
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

voodoo_simon wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 2:01 pm
There was a thread in this last year I think over at STW forum if you dare step that way…
I flounced from that hole many years ago.
postierich

Post by postierich »

Not French but done it for several Italian rides. My Doctor will not sign mine because of health issues so leaves me with only one option!
gairym

Post by gairym »

I got one waaaaay back when and then I Photoshop it every year and use it as/when needed.

It's a hoop that needs jumping through but I'll be damned if I'm repeatedly paying to do it.
rollindoughnut

Post by rollindoughnut »

I needed one last year. Rang my surgery and the office team got a doctor to sign the template I'd provided. Bought them a box of chocolates as a thank you.
rufus748

Post by rufus748 »

Wotsits wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 2:22 pm Had to do this a couple of times, has just a box ticking exercise. Somebody else off here (who will remain nameless) signed his own something along the lines of Dr W White ☠️

My GP surgery signed mine, but I had to mither them a fair bit. Might even have a blank letter if you need one Greg..
I believe it was "Dr. Saul Goodman"...
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

I was told 6 weeks. I need it done in 4. So went and found a person to pay.

Will keep and amend in future if I need it again.
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

I had a mate that was a GP that signed off a few for me for french sportiv rides. When he died I just signed my own, nobody checks.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Sure, but if something goes wrong, it's a very good reason for my insurance to say no to paying for a helicopter ride in the French Alps. Not willing to take that chance. Already had one paid out by insurance years ago, I do not need a 25k hole in my pocket :)