OMM Core - any experiences?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

JackT

OMM Core - any experiences?

Post by JackT »

Has anyone used OMM Core clothing?

It's a layer of very lightweight woven insulation (Primaloft Next) without the usual nylon lining and outer. A sandwich without the bread.

As most of us already carry some kind of waterproof/windproof outer garment, it would seem to be a sensible way of adding insulation without carrying extra layers of windproofing. Might be good for sleeping too - as well as hoodie and a jacket, I see OMM make tights and a bag liner from the same material.

Virtues: lightweight, packable, breathable
Cons: not windproof, possibly fragile

If you've used it, I'd be be interested in what you make of it. Cheers.
substandard

Re: OMM Core - any experiences?

Post by substandard »

I have an omm rotor vest - primaloft, really rate it for some extra summer warmth on rides going into the night,

The core range looks interesting, not seen that before
benp1

Post by benp1 »

OMM Core is their take on similar products using Polartec Alpha (the direct/raw variant)

Reviews report that it's not quite as good as Polartec Alpha, although still pretty good

I switched my sleeping base layer from a normal base layer to a Macpac Nitro (a very well regarded top made of Polartec Alpha Direct) because it's warmer, dries quicker and yet is lighter than my base layer. Also doubles up as a riding mid layer if I'm desperate

You won't be disappointed with OMM Core stuff, but Alpha is still a bit better I think. I have a few Polartec Alpha tops, 4 I think, but don't have anything from the OMM core range though so am not making a direct comparison
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

I have a core vest and hoodie. I rate them both highly. Longevity....not so sure. But for the weight, they are quite warm. I've used them for winter running under a windproof, and as a take a long layer on rides and runs.

However, they don't have much in the way of stretch about them, so be aware that if you're trying to pour yourself into a size you may not be, it probably won't happen :)
JackT

Post by JackT »

Thanks - very useful info. Polartec Alpha seems no longer widely used, wonder why? Macpac Nitro only available in a women's version.

Am looking for something to boost warmth while riding overnight on long audaxes, down to 3-5 degrees. I have an Endura insulated gilet which is great in many ways being a gilet lacks arms. Guess I could just add some thermal arm warmers. My Prism jacket is plenty warm but tends to be too hot and sweaty to ride in for hour after hour, and is bulky in the bag during the day. I was thinking an Alpha type insulation layer might be a good alternative good under a thin windproof or waterproof shell.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Got 2 Core Hoodies 2 years ago in size L. Tight fitting, short sleeves, short torso for 182 cm, ape like figure with broad shoulders and ~85 kg. Waiting for availability in CH of the Core+ in XL since I really like the regular Core. As Greg stated, they don't stretch. Tore a hole along a seam on one of mine in the early stages and didn't fix it, since it didn't get any worse. Used and washed them many times, seem to take quite some beating... more than I expected. Love it under Rab Boreas smock or wind/rain shell in cool weather. Superb midlayer, bulky for it's weight but can be compressed to a very small package. Have become my most used fleeces.

Shame there's not more about made with Alpha Direct in Europe.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

2 other options

Rab Alpha Flash. I have one of these, I really like it. There are stretchy bits under the arms, they don't dry as quick as the Alpha but haven't found it a major issue in normal use

Senchi designs top. These are made in a batch and released so tricky to get hold of. You might get lucky though, supposed to be good

I think Haglofs do one too?
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

I've worn my vest on cold audaxes right to skin - does an excellent job of shifting water outwards so that when I stop, I get less chilly.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

What you stopping for :wink:
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Control stamps ;)