Steerer-top USB chargers - Cinq Vs Cycle2Charge

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

jameso

Steerer-top USB chargers - Cinq Vs Cycle2Charge

Post by jameso »

Cinq Plug 5 Pure, £170ish
Cycle2Charge V3 Plus, £80ish

Anyone had experience of either? They seem pretty similar overall, the Cinq's just a bit more compact.

This is to replace a B+M USB-Werk that's generally been good but the cables seem to be the weak links and contacts can get a bit patchy. I've got USB-Werks on 2 bikes, had 6 years from one and almost 5 from the other so they've been pretty good overall but I'd prefer a modular set up now, with non-proprietary cables and a separate cache battery.

It'd need to go with a small thru charge cache battery, what's the smallest capacity available? Only need enough to smooth out Garmin charging and prevent the auto-off. I can find something around 2,000-3,000mah upwards - good to have the option to take a larger one for other trips but for day rides the USB-Werk's 150mah internal battery does the trick.
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Steerer-top USB chargers - Cinq Vs Cycle2Charge

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I had an early Cycle2chatge and it was fine. I do recall a few folk mentioning theirs ceased to work (likely water ingress) but I also recall that the design was changed to increase weatherproofing ... I think.
May the bridges you burn light your way
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

I've had a Cinq on my tourer/adventure bike since 2014 on and off. Seems pretty solid and it's been through some fairly abysmal conditions.

Do any of them provide enough juice (ampage? I am not a physicist) to charge a battery of the size you're looking at?
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

Zendure do a 5k pass through that's only 110g, how much lighter/smaller do you need?
jameso

Post by jameso »

My USB-Werk only puts out 0.5A max and that will charge a Garmin which I think had a 1000Ah battery in about 2, 2.5hrs on road/gravel terrain. These are 0.7A to 1A at about 20kph.
jameso

Post by jameso »

PaulB2 wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 8:39 pm Zendure do a 5k pass through that's only 110g, how much lighter/smaller do you need?
That's pretty good. Compact is more useful than really light.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

From the looks of it it’s about the size of a joystick - so small but not tiny.