Dropper posts & Seat bags

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Mart

Dropper posts & Seat bags

Post by Mart »

Had a trawl but couldn’t find an answer to how to mount seat packs to dropper posts.
In my head the bags going to rub on the stantion and damage it. Or the dropper won’t drop either due to bag hitting wheel or the bag attaching will prevent the stantion from sliding.

Is there a solution?
2924 miles per Gallon
fatbikephil

Re: Dropper posts & Seat bags

Post by fatbikephil »

Bit of inner tube / foam bar grip round the seat tube stanchion is the cheap way. a wolftooth valais the posh way. You do have to watch you don't jam the bag into the back wheel - a wolftooth valais acts as a bump stop to stop this. I've a mudguard on so just drop the seat until the bag jams into the top of the mudguard...
Leerowe76

Post by Leerowe76 »

I use a dropper but dont always use it when bike packing but the Wolftooth thingymabob works a treat easy to install & remove and use with an Alpkit seat pack, it allows the dropper to be used but where the seat pack straps onto the Wolftooth on the post maybe only allows for 1/3 of the droppers use but still works okay, hope this helps
Living On Dreams & Custard Creams
rudedog

Post by rudedog »

I've used the 'enduro collar' that comes with reverbs as a cheap alternative to the wolf tooth vallais. I just fit it a couple of inches down on the stanchion and the put electrical tape on the bit of post that's still showing.

You won't want to drop the post the hole way anyway as the seat bag will foul the rear wheel.
yourguitarhero

Post by yourguitarhero »

Topeak make a thingymajiggy called the DP Mount which extends out the back of the seat post o give something else other than the station to mount the dropper to.

Works really well for me. I have a hard tail with a mudguard so the bag never hits the wheel.

You could use an enduro collar too to set how far down the dropper goes if you're hitting the wheel. Bear in mind the suspension compression if you have rear suspension.

Have also seen it done with a second seat post cut off and added further back on the saddle rails.

The Topeak thing is neater though
Karl

Post by Karl »

I've 3d printed a few valais type collars for folk. Give us a shout Mart if you want me to run one off for you to try.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I’ve been using the Topeka DP Mount for well over a year now, it’s ace

Total drop is limited but doesn’t bother me as it still keeps dropper functionality and is better than the pipe insulation I used to use
yourguitarhero

Post by yourguitarhero »

benp1 wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 8:56 am I’ve been using the Topeka DP Mount for well over a year now, it’s ace

Total drop is limited but doesn’t bother me as it still keeps dropper functionality and is better than the pipe insulation I used to use
On my bike, as long as your seat collar clamp isn't in the way I can get full drop as it goes down between the two seats stays.

Quite nice little gizmo really.
Al

Post by Al »

yourguitarhero wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 9:01 am
benp1 wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 8:56 am I’ve been using the Topeka DP Mount for well over a year now, it’s ace

On my bike, as long as your seat collar clamp isn't in the way I can get full drop as it goes down between the two seats stays.

Quite nice little gizmo really.
I modded my Topeak wotsit by chopping the bottom part off and filing smooth. Plenty to strap a bag to but doesn't get in the way. Also added a short length of old foam bar grip. Can add a picture but it's as simple as it sounds.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

On my hardtail I'm limited because it's an externally routed dropper and the dropper cable stops the Topeak mount from being placed right at the top

On my full sus I could do full drop as it's internally routed but I'd limited anyway because of the lack of clearance when the seat has been dropped and the rear travel is towards it's max travel

Internally routed on a hardtail and you'd be onto a winner!
yourguitarhero

Post by yourguitarhero »

The Brand X dropper on my hardtail is an external one, but the cable comes out at the seat tube clamp so it still works ok.

No idea if that helps you at all!