Rebellion way -first trip!

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Rockbus

Rebellion way -first trip!

Post by Rockbus »

Planning on doing rebellion way in Norfolk over Easter.
Will be my first trip and warm up for WRT!

Might be pushing it but plan to do in 3 days.

If anyone has done it would welcome some tips and in particular any wild camping suggestions around the 110 and 220k mark.
Rapideye

Re: Rebellion way -first trip!

Post by Rapideye »

Hi, I live near Aylsham so have a little bit of knowledge of the areas around there. Not that I've done the route myself. Are you starting in Norwich? If not where?
Rockbus

Post by Rockbus »

Rapideye wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:25 pm Hi, I live near Aylsham so have a little bit of knowledge of the areas around there. Not that I've done the route myself. Are you starting in Norwich? If not where?
Yep starting at Norwich. Will actually be finishing at aylsham as thats where we are holidaying for the week. Although might do last leg to Norwich later in week
Rapideye

Post by Rapideye »

Ok, so you'll be further south than I'm familiar with but as a rough guide (that I'm sure you're aware of already), you've got Thetford Forest before you hit Peddars Way. I have been given a decent spot around Wells-Next-The Sea previously that I've walked around quite a bit but not camped at yet. If you look at both of these areas (and I'm sure you have) it'll be clear enough where you can head for as both have big wooded areas. Assuming you went from Norwich to Thetford for the 1st night, getting to Wells might be a bit too far based on your anticipated kms. Sorry I can't be more help.
Rapideye

Post by Rapideye »

Of course, if need any tips for your time around Aylsham, let me know. For the section from Aylsham to Norwich, you also have a trail from Aylsham to Reepham to Norwich which you could loop back on if you finished the Rebellion Way. It's about 22 miles easy riding.
Boab

Post by Boab »

I've bivvied in Thorpe Forest, just off the byway and one of the waymarked trails, this would be shortly before you get to Thetford. Note that the route takes you passed the Tesco in Thetford, which you could use for breakfast / toilet stop, or you could divert to the Forest Holiday's lodge and breakfast there. There's also bits of forest between Thetford and Swaffham, so plenty of opportunity for bivvy spots. Not sure about anywhere for a bivvy further East than the Peddar's Way, but am hoping to ride it later in the year, so should probably find out.
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
Rockbus

Post by Rockbus »

Well I did it! Must admit my lack of preparation made it a very tough ride. Probably not helped by doing c85 miles day one and therefore managed Norwich to Aylsham in 2.5 days.
The wild camping was fine as plenty of spots but seemed to have to go ages between food stops so should’ve planned that better.
Also, as someone warned me, Norfolk isn’t quit as flat as I thought!

Perhaps should’ve taken it easier on my first trip as nearly put me off the whole thing…thankfully weather was good
Verena

Post by Verena »

I'm glad you said "nearly" then!
Rapideye

Post by Rapideye »

Well done, Rockbus. Any write up planned? I'd be especially interested in where you ended up camping in the end. As it is so close to me, I feel I should do it. But would need to do it in 3 days on a mountain bike and I'm not fast (I also don't think I've got the time in the near future) As I suggested to you before I think I'd need to get to Thetford for the 1st night, then all up Peddars way the next day to then be able to get home in day 3. I might be able to do this ok but I do tend to be over ambitious. I also haven't been going out much either, so legs will struggle.
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

I hope to do the route this summer if time allows. I would be getting the train across and have not studied the route closely enough on which station makes most sense for me.
godivatrailrider

Post by godivatrailrider »

Rockbus wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 11:19 am Well I did it! Must admit my lack of preparation made it a very tough ride. Probably not helped by doing c85 miles day one and therefore managed Norwich to Aylsham in 2.5 days.
The wild camping was fine as plenty of spots but seemed to have to go ages between food stops so should’ve planned that better.
Also, as someone warned me, Norfolk isn’t quit as flat as I thought!

Perhaps should’ve taken it easier on my first trip as nearly put me off the whole thing…thankfully weather was good
Well done. It might have been me warning about Norfolk being somewhat hillier than I expected !
I think getting the distances right is all part of the learning curve. It's different off road and kitted up. Water & food are more often an issue than I thought they'd be, especially as I tend to plan my routes away from the beaten track. It's all in the planning.
WRT is WAAAAAY hillier than Norfolk :lol: I wouldn't plan an 85mile day ever, even 60 is a big day for me, but in Wales .... 35miles is on the tough side, as there will likely be 4000' climbing in there too.
Don't be over ambitious, just plan it enjoy it.
Rockbus

Post by Rockbus »

It might have been me warning about Norfolk being somewhat hillier than I expected
[/quote]
Your warning was definitely appreciated and there were quite a few times where I was swearing to myself about how right you were!

I guess the first trip is always going to be a learning experience (although expect that is true for every trip).

I'm doing the WRT so that's going to be yet another opportunity to learn... will be part of the lonely hearts group so hopefully that might help me to limit some of my mistakes to a degree!!!
godivatrailrider

Post by godivatrailrider »

Rockbus wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:47 pm
I'm doing the WRT so that's going to be yet another opportunity to learn... will be part of the lonely hearts group so hopefully that might help me to limit some of my mistakes to a degree!!!
Probably a wise move :-bd
It's a fab event, very social. If you see a tramp in a Very Pink / Blue 'Ludlow Trailrider' top, say Hi.... it's me !