What’s 2023’s Arkose?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

FLV

What’s 2023’s Arkose?

Post by FLV »

A few years ago when someone asked for the best value road/gravel bike (drop bars, 42mm ish tyres) at about 800 to 1300 quid, many of used to say Arkose.

What’s the current go to showing similar value?

Ta
johnnystorm

Re: What’s 2023’s Arkose?

Post by johnnystorm »

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/ragley-trig-bike-ultra-violet

Big price drop on the Ragley Trig.

Also Sonder Caminos reduced and ex-demos being sold off at Alpkit iirc.
jameso

Post by jameso »

That Trig is a brilliant bike for the money :-bd
faustus

Post by faustus »

I think value wise it's the Sonder Camino now. Plenty of build options from budget to bling, and a cracking ride too.
Did big mileage on my old Arkose, fond memories. Always hankered after one of the paint splatter frames, I think the green and splatter SS frame maybe? Great paint job :cool:
jameso

Post by jameso »

faustus wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:25 am I think value wise it's the Sonder Camino now. Plenty of build options from budget to bling, and a cracking ride too.
Did big mileage on my old Arkose, fond memories. Always hankered after one of the paint splatter frames, I think the green and splatter SS frame maybe? Great paint job :cool:
:-bd

I have a colour tube from work on those bikes in my WFH office, saved from going into the skip when the Gatwick office was due shut down. It was done in Kona Explosif pistachio with yellow and grey splatter to begin with just to get the splatter effect right, then changed colours for the 2 bikes. Actually spent time in a paint facility in a factory in Taiwan during a visit to get the technique right. Good times. ... please excuse the Rowley Birkin QC style ramble :grin:
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

In the spirit of recommending wot you got, how about the Genesis Croix de Fer? I bought one late last year and I've barely ridden my other bikes since. It's a lump of a thing but very comfortable with brilliant geometry, more braze-ons than I can count and the only thing I want to change on it are the brakes. Proper modern tourer that'll do everything. Mine is currently sporting front and rear panniers and I've just got back from Tesco with the week's shopping. Lovely bike.
I'm just going outside ...
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

I don't get the Coix de Fer hype, as an owner of one and having done a few thousand miles on it...

It is a robust lump that has broadly just worked admittedly, but I put it together with a known set of components so that's not really surprising....