First timer bikepacker

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Mounty

First timer bikepacker

Post by Mounty »

Hi,

Just signed up to the forum as I am keen to get in my first bikepacking trip. I have all sorts of kit, biking, walking, camping etc.

Can you guys show me a few photo's of your bike set up and kit etc please?

I have an assortment of dry bags & an alpkit backpack, but I am interested to see pics of what people are using. only planning a short(ish) and local trip just to give it a go and test the set up.

Any advice & pointers would be great! :-)

Cheers.
ianfitz

Re: First timer bikepacker

Post by ianfitz »

Hi mounty. There are a few older threads with many a picture on, it's worth a search to find them.

There's also a very long thread on STW called sick as a dog so show me your bikepacking set ups. There's loads of pictures there.

You've picked a good time to start; If you don't take to it in this weàther then it's not for you!

Enjoy
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

If you've already got some drybags then that's your basic luggage sorted out*. 13l is common on the bars, secure it with straps and it shouldn't budge. Pack your light / bulky stuff in it.

8l is ideal for the rear strapped to the seatpost / seat rails.

Most folk are happier without a pack but it's a personal thing. I'd suggest not carrying too much in one though, certainly not in this weather.

You'll find that no two set-ups are ever the same and personal set-ups will change with conditions, etc. IMO your mindset is just as important as your gear. Develop a belief that 'just in case' doesn't exist and that 'multi use' is the Holy Grail and you'll be on the right track.

*Once the bug bites you'll be shopping for something else. ;)
May the bridges you burn light your way
pushbikemike

Post by pushbikemike »

Hello Mounty. Welcome to the forum. I have just finished a bivi a month for the last year. This is how my bike set looks now:

Peebles to East Calder bivi ride. July 2013: The bike by pushbikemike, on Flickr

When i started i strapped dry bags to the bike and had cheap frame bag from ebay and a rucksack. As has been said above personal set ups can vary. I prefer not to carry a rucksack and i carry a lot less now although still more than others from the forum ;)

I have found it addictive, met lots of like minded folk, ridden excellent trails and discovered the black art of hammocking along the way. :D

Use what you have to begin with and after each trip have a think about the things you didnt use.

Mike
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Here you go Mounty ... I've just packed for a 3 day / 2 nighter and this is what it looks like. I'm not the tidiest packer but you'll get an idea.

Everything required's there:

8l on front in Wildcat Mountain Lion - Golite quilt, Synmat UL 7, Exped pump bag, arm warmers, OMM smock + gloves and pole.

5l on back in Wildcat Tiger - BPWD Pyra net and pegs, emergency gear (first aid stuff, etc), cooking gear, Sea to Summit 20l silnylon emergency backpack (handy for raids on the Spar) + helmet.

Custom sized Bikepack fuel tank under saddle - Tools, spares and fuel.

That's pretty much it. I might add a second water bottle to the other fork leg as a nod towards the warm weather but anything else will get stuffed in jersey pockets. Some folk would at least require one change of clothes but I'm northern, so it's not required ;)

May the bridges you burn light your way
pushbikemike

Post by pushbikemike »

Everything required's there:

8l on front in Wildcat Mountain Lion - Golite quilt, Synmat UL 7, Exped pump bag, arm warmers, OMM smock + gloves and pole.

5l on back in Wildcat Tiger - BPWD Pyra net and pegs, emergency gear (first aid stuff, etc), cooking gear, Sea to Summit 20l silnylon emergency backpack (handy for raids on the Spar) + helmet.

Custom sized Bikepack fuel tank under saddle - Tools, spares and fuel.
Nice looking set up. Looks alot less than mine. And i was only out for one night. :oops:
I ended up altering the velcro straps on my Bikepack fuel tank to fit round the Wildcat Tiger.
Dan_K

Post by Dan_K »

Not even a whiff rain cover. Love this time of year...
Mounty

Post by Mounty »

Loving it.....my Hunka bag has just arrived!! :-)