Are you sure you'll be able to vote in May?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

jameso

Are you sure you'll be able to vote in May?

Post by jameso »

OT but important, time's short on this one, thought it worth sharing on here. Please excuse the repetition if you already know this. It's politics related but something we can act on easily to make a difference.

We now need specified forms of photo ID to vote, including the local elections in May. Some people won't have it and won't realise that they can apply for a certificate online that gives them the ability to vote.

We have one month longer to register (25th April deadline) if this form of ID is needed and people do need to be registered to vote to begin with before applying.

If you've not already done so, please share this information wherever you can so as many people as possible have the chance to vote as normal.
"If you don’t have accepted photo ID (https://www.gov.uk/how-to-vote/photo-id-youll-need), you can apply for a free voter ID document, which is known as a Voter Authority Certificate.
The deadline to apply for a Voter Authority Certificate for the local elections in England on 4 May 2023 is 5pm on Tuesday 25 April 2023."

"You only need to apply for a Voter Authority Certificate if:
you do not have accepted photo ID
you no longer look like the photo on your ID
the name on your photo ID is different to your name on the electoral register"

"The photo on your ID must look like you. You can still use your ID even if it has expired."
https://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/ ... r/voter-id

(while over-60s travel passes are accepted photo ID, young people's equivalents are not accepted)
voodoo_simon

Re: Are you sure you'll be able to vote in May?

Post by voodoo_simon »

jameso wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:52 am (while over-60s travel passes are accepted photo ID, young people's equivalents are not accepted)
I wonder why that is?? Can’t possible think of a reason for this… [angry face]
riderdown

Post by riderdown »

I wonder why that is?? Can’t possible think of a reason for this…
One has more ID verification than the other

To vote in CLP candidate selections you need photo ID and proof of address

It's also already in effect in NI I believe

Whether it's worth the effort is a different question
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

voodoo_simon wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:07 am
I wonder why that is?? Can’t possible think of a reason for this… [angry face]
I had a snide young person's railcard for couple of years tbf. There were very easy to get hold of.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Driving license and provisional would work right!?
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

riderdown wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:20 pm
I wonder why that is?? Can’t possible think of a reason for this…
One has more ID verification than the other

To vote in CLP candidate selections you need photo ID and proof of address

It's also already in effect in NI I believe

Whether it's worth the effort is a different question
I realise that but can’t help thinking that the demograph that has a travel card is *more likely* to vote one way than another. Just a hunch…
Rapideye

Post by Rapideye »

I'm as sceptical as Voodo_Simon, there will be a large number of young people who won't necessarily have a photo ID and in IMO the Govt is playing a numbers game that they'll be less inclined to get one prior to voting and, therefore, won't be able to vote at all. Older people will more likely have a driver's licence, passport or travel card to give them the best chance possible not to be refused the opportunity to vote.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Rapideye wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 4:58 pm I'm as sceptical as Voodo_Simon, there will be a large number of young people who won't necessarily have a photo ID and in IMO the Govt is playing a numbers game that they'll be less inclined to get one prior to voting and, therefore, won't be able to vote at all. Older people will more likely have a driver's licence, passport or travel card to give them the best chance possible not to be refused the opportunity to vote.
Exactly. Which is why the Voter Authority Certificate is something worth publicising, checking with people you know who might need one and not have applied, etc. No idea if it's been well publicised generally - for some reason I doubt there's been any government funded campaigns to promote it but I may be wrong : )
Rapideye

Post by Rapideye »

Jameso, I'd say you're exactly right. I keep up-to-date with current affairs and have no idea of this voter authority certificate. Just had a look at what this is and doesn't ring a bell. I can't remember seeing anything advertised. Another way to discourage the 'wrong' type of people from voting. I just hope that the numerous issues that have occurred over the last 5-6 years encourage people to seek out voting.