Nice Barnfind

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Leerowe76

Nice Barnfind

Post by Leerowe76 »

While trawling through Ebay on the nightshift I came across this 94 Marin Pine barnfind, just thought I'd share as I do love a nice retro MTB

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/115730246895 ... %3A2047675
Living On Dreams & Custard Creams
errol

Re: Nice Barnfind

Post by errol »

Very nice.

Not sure about the asking price though?
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Liking that :-bd Always had a soft spot for Marin but never actually owned one, hard to find dealers for them locally

Seem to remember my dad getting a bearvalley around that sort of time period of the advert to replace his grey/neon yellow palisade
godivatrailrider

Post by godivatrailrider »

voodoo_simon wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:20 am Liking that :-bd Always had a soft spot for Marin but never actually owned one, hard to find dealers for them locally

Seem to remember my dad getting a bearvalley around that sort of time period of the advert to replace his grey/neon yellow palisade
I still have a Bear Valley .... I bought it nearly new, not sure why as it's WAY too small for me, but nearly everyone in my family has used it over the years. It was just one of those bike that 'just worked' really well.
Simple but super reliable.
My 23 yr old daughter didn't want it any more so I had it back off her. I've owned it since about '94
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

I still regularly ride a '94 Kona Kilauea and that was around £800 at time. Quite a mark-up on original price and a few tech changes since then. Suspect the seller will struggle to get that sort of money.
I still enjoy riding mine in gravel type situations.
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

I've got an early 90's Marin Eldridge Grade, it's still got the original tyres!!
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I recall those things were pretty horrible - the rear manitous made it weigh a ton and the suspension quality wasn't great; plus the pivot bearings wore horribly quickly.....
In fact those gen of manitous were also pretty crap - my mates wore through the coating on the stanchions after not much time...

Given that it is as shipped and unbuilt it's worth top dollar but really not sure how much of a collectors scene there is for mountainbikes as the retro bike gang are very much into riding them. So it may be 'worth' £2.5k but that doesn't mean someone will pay that.

I suspect the original Marins would actually be worth more as they were a key milestone in bike development - much like spesh a few years before and Kona about the same time.
firestarter

Post by firestarter »

Might polish up my 1995 kona cinder cone lol