Bear Bones In April

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Theblarney

Bear Bones In April

Post by Theblarney »

Hi,

I've only got two days signed off with the misses so planned a 90 mile version of the route.

I've seen plenty of videos on YouTube etc but doesn't really give a representation of what the terrain is like and I am wondering if it will be mostly ok for a Gravel bike with 40mm tyres or not really?

Thanks
redefined_cycles

Re: Bear Bones In April

Post by redefined_cycles »

I'd not do any of the (one's I've attempted so far, which is 3) BB200 routes on a gravel bike. But have seen it done with Wotsits and a few more. They seemed to enjoy it too :o I actually even saw em both zoom down the World Cup DH course as I struggled with my 3 inch tires worried it was too steep and slippery :sad:

So... Depends I guess... I reckon they had about 35mm tires on what looked like adapted road bikes (whats the other name for em again :grin: ).
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I assume that you mean the BB200? There are actually several routes (see the routes section of this site) so it would be useful if you said which one you were looking at. Most of them have short(ish) sections that you might want to avoid to prevent a domestic :wink: :lol:

Like any upland area the BWs are a mixture of gravel forestry like tracks, rough farm tracks, decent BWs and some that haven't seen the passage of a wheel (or foot) for decades. Some are fine in most conditions, others need a week or two of drying weather to be anywhere near pleasant.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Boab

Post by Boab »

Theblarney wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 5:54 pm Hi,

I've only got two days signed off with the misses so planned a 90 mile version of the route.

I've seen plenty of videos on YouTube etc but doesn't really give a representation of what the terrain is like and I am wondering if it will be mostly ok for a Gravel bike with 40mm tyres or not really?
Welcome to the forum, which route are you referring to...? In all likelihood, there will be parts of any of the routes listed in the Routes section (up in the menu bar), where you'll wish you were on a different bike. I rode some of the 2020 BB200 (my bottom bracket failed after 80KM) on my NS RAG+, which had 45mm tyres on. some bits I had to go slowly and wished I was on a MTB, other bits I wished I was on a skinny tyred road bike. You'll be fine*...

* For some value of fine.
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Do you mean the WRT? That's in April this year.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Theblarney

Post by Theblarney »

Sorry for not being a little clearer..

I’ve taken the BB200 and adapted it to be 90 miles and starting in Rhayader.

My plan was to work in the Claerddu Bothy and to split off at the image I attached and work my way back to Rhayader from there.
Attachments
8A31DF92-3876-431B-A38E-0D490D8B64AB.jpeg
8A31DF92-3876-431B-A38E-0D490D8B64AB.jpeg (179.08 KiB) Viewed 902 times
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Still not *that* clear, sorry.

There are ten different BB200 routes (plus a variant that appeared on bikepacking.com). Not all of them go through Rhaeadr - last year's did but in the opposite direction to what you are planning. Which of the routes on this page - https://www.bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk/routes/ are you basing your route on?
godivatrailrider

Post by godivatrailrider »

It's the one off the Bikepacking.com site.
The blarney was pointed here from Wales Bikepacking / Bikepacking Wales :-bd

https://bikepacking.com/routes/bear-bon ... mid-wales/
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

You haven't got what you're planning to do on OS have you? It's difficult to see what you're wanting to do from the image above.

There's some places around there you really don't want to go :wink:
Theblarney

Post by Theblarney »

As godivatrailrider mentioned, its loosly based on the route on the Bikepacking.com website but below is the route I have worked out so far.

I really appreciate all the help so far, Im going to be on a Mason ISO 29" so I will be fine but I just wanted to make sure that the other guy im cycling with on his gravel bike wont be swearing at me all the way around.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/42239584

I have probably made this way harder, sorry guys. I want to do more bikepacking in 2023 and my ultimate goal for this trip was to get 2 days cycling around mid wales with an overnight stay in a bothy..
Theblarney

Post by Theblarney »

whitestone wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:08 am Still not *that* clear, sorry.

There are ten different BB200 routes (plus a variant that appeared on bikepacking.com). Not all of them go through Rhaeadr - last year's did but in the opposite direction to what you are planning. Which of the routes on this page - https://www.bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk/routes/ are you basing your route on?
Sorry until recently I just assumed there was just the one BB200 route, ive taken a look at the routes page and can see that's definitely not the case :smile:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Okay, I've downloaded it and taken a look on OS.

Generally, it'll be fine because the 'bad' bits you'll be pushing anyway. Carnau is likely to be boggy on top in April and once above the clouds there's no real track. :wink:

I suppose the worst bit for a gravel bike might be the descent off Rhos Saith-mean but it's short lived, so will soon be over. Y Glog Fawr descent will likely also prove a little interesting - it is steep in places.

Otherwise, make sure he fits tyres with a reasonable amount of tread. If the ground's wet, then some grip will be most welcome in places.
Theblarney

Post by Theblarney »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:19 am Okay, I've downloaded it and taken a look on OS.

Generally, it'll be fine because the 'bad' bits you'll be pushing anyway. Carnau is likely to be boggy on top in April and once above the clouds there's no real track. :wink:

I suppose the worst bit for a gravel bike might be the descent off Rhos Saith-mean but it's short lived, so will soon be over. Y Glog Fawr descent will likely also prove a little interesting - it is steep in places.

Otherwise, make sure he fits tyres with a reasonable amount of tread. If the ground's wet, then some grip will be most welcome in places.
Thank you.

I just took a look at the 2018 route and that is also an interesting route as it passes right by a bothy, would that be more suited to a gravel bike do you think?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I just took a look at the 2018 route and that is also an interesting route as it passes right by a bothy, would that be more suited to a gravel bike do you think?
In truth, none are suitable for a gravel bike and yet they all are. The question isn't really 'is the route suitable for a gravel bike' but 'am I capable of riding a gravel bike over that route'. I know that sounds twattish but it isn't meant to be :wink:

I reckon (and others may have a different opinion) that 2016 is perhaps the most gravel friendly route of all.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Theblarney wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:54 am so I will be fine but I just wanted to make sure that the other guy im cycling with on his gravel bike wont be swearing at me all the way around.
If you and him don't swear then you're not on a BB200 and need to check your gps. Most people do swear but you don't wanna be the target of the poor language. Best way is to ensure you have an unadulterated route (try the 2014 version!?) and tell your mate it's Stu that made it. That's who most people do the wearing at midride :grin:
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:12 am
In truth, none are suitable for a gravel bike and yet they all are. The question isn't really 'is the route suitable for a gravel bike' but 'am I capable of riding a gravel bike over that route'. I know that sounds twattish but it isn't meant to be :wink:

I reckon (and others may have a different opinion) that 2016 is perhaps the most gravel friendly route of all.
I have no lasting memories [*] of 2021 edition, so can't have been too bad
Other than fantastic weather

[*] caveat being i was one a hard tail mountain bike.
Did a BB200 on a gravel, twice i think, saw the error in my ways and bought an epic. :lol:
Never again
godivatrailrider

The Blarney, you've stumbled upon the single best Bikepacking community in the UK here.
What you really need to do is get yourself signed up for WRT ( Welsh Ride Thing) at the end of April ... the best introduction to mid Wales BP in the calendar
RIP

Post by RIP »

godivatrailrider wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 2:47 pm The Blarney, you've stumbled upon the single best Bikepacking community in the world here.
FTFY :-bd
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
RIP

Post by RIP »

TheBlarney, eh...

I wonder what would mystically happen if one was to kiss one of those big stones in Stu's yard? My suspicion is it would confer that rare, but renowned, ability to talk complete bollocks whilst in the company of other bikepackers :-bd .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

When did you kiss it ?
:lol:
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Lazarus wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 4:06 pm When did you kiss it ?
Kiss it?

More like full blown coitus in Reg’s case 😂

OP one resource that can help is geograph.org it’s a site that aims to have one photo per OS grid square. There’s no guarantee that a square will have an image or that it’s of use - shots of old farm machinery tend to be preferred to what the track looks like.
godivatrailrider

RIP wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 3:01 pm
godivatrailrider wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 2:47 pm The Blarney, you've stumbled upon the single best Bikepacking community in the world here.
FTFY :-bd
:-bd :grin:
RIP

Post by RIP »

Cheeky! :smile: But a fair point, actually I do it every time I come to an event hence the talking becoming increasingly bollockified as the years pass.

RIP

Post by RIP »

whitestone wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 4:20 pm
Kiss it?

More like full blown coitus in Reg’s case 😂
Gawd, I knew I shouldn't have drawn attention to it!

Poor MrB is now realising what an enormous rabbit hole (Bear lair?) he's stumbled into.

Actually it's more of a black hole isn't it. Once entangled in the BBB gravitational field there's no escape. And as you get nearer and nearer to the event horizon (Bear Bones Towers) you get strung out into an infinitely long piece of spaghetti.