Tall Riders Coat Choices

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Escape Goat

Tall Riders Coat Choices

Post by Escape Goat »

Hi

My Gore jacket which I’ve been living in is rather too big for me now. It’s an XL and flaps around like mad now.

I bought a medium and a large Endura MT500 jacket to try the sizes. Medium fits perfect but the arm length is way too short. Like almost two inches. The large is about one and a half inches.

Is anyone 6 foot and wear a medium jacket with a decent arm length they can recommend please?

Thanks

Allen
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Tall Riders Coat Choices

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I know Ben struggles with this.

May the bridges you burn light your way
ton

Post by ton »

Alpkit jackets and jerseys have long sleeves.
their biggest sizes are far too snug for me on the chest/shoulders but their sleeves fit ace.
Dyffers

Post by Dyffers »

You need to embrace roadie jackets if you want tighter fit for longer torso/arms. I've had a few jackets from the likes of r a p h a and castelli that fit me well at 6'2" with a 38" chest, but none are as waterproof as a non-cycling fit Outdry.
ton

Post by ton »

their balance or gravitas jackets should be good for you.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I'm 'medium' (aka scrawny) with arms approaching Orang lengths. Medium paramos are great with nice long sleeves. My medium columbia outdry lightweight ditto and a collection of Keela jackets (heavy to light) also ditto. Gore roadie gtx active jacket also medium, also good sleeve length. (I have too many water proof jackets...) All the above are also plenty long enough back-wise.
PaulE

Post by PaulE »

I'm 6'1 with long arms and find a medium OMM kamelika (probably spelled that wrongly!) fits well for running and biking.

Sportful roadie tops also fit really well, not tried the actual rim jackets but the fiandre ones are ideal.
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

Thanks all. I’ll have a look tomorrow.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Anything Montane? Proper arm length for climbing works for cycling, M fits me well at a bit over 6' / 75kg and their kit is all slim fit.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

jameso wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:18 am Anything Montane? Proper arm length for climbing works for cycling, M fits me well at a bit over 6' / 75kg and their kit is all slim fit.
Rab is also slim and long but then I’m 5’ 7 so everything in the arms fit :lol: One of my friends that’s tall and slim uses Norrona a lot, seems to fit him well
Al

Post by Al »

I'd second what was said about Montane and Rab if you don't want roadie cut.

I'm 6'1 with long arms / skinny and both their mediums usually fit well with long arms.

I've got a event Montane smock for really shitty weather and a Rab pretext shield one for just stuffing in just incase.
Boab

Post by Boab »

I keep reading the post title as Tall Riders Goat Choices... 🤦
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

Boab wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:53 pm I keep reading the post title as Tall Riders Goat Choices... 🤦
hahhaah You're not too far off!

Muc off medium jackets have the same length arms as Gore jackets... maybemaybe.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

As Stu says, I have problems with this. It was a very accurate image, maybe need more hair though :grin:

It's a genuine irritation for me - the stupid assumption that you get taller/longer as you get wider/larger. It's a nonsense. Have problems with both bottom half and top half

I'm 6'3 but have 32" waist and 38/40 chest. That makes me a medium apart from length, I'm then an XL really, sometimes a large.

Waterproof solutions are all compromised. UK and Scandinavian manufacturers generally have a better cut than American ones. Except for Paramo who have nice long sleeves but a really boxy cut.

Roadie cut waterproofs are generally very good. They have slim fitting chests and nice long sleeves. R@pha are good on this. But there's no hood, rarely any pockets on the front, and the cuffs are usually quite narrow so you can't slip them over the top of a waterproof glove. Actually had a really good dhb jacket but it died in the washing machine.

If you want a more outdoorsy jacket then I like Berghaus, Montane and Rab. Climbing jackets typically have good long arms but the cut can be quite short. Rab have just released a cycling range, hoping for good things there.

Have had no real success with MTB jackets, sleeves generally still too short (e.g Endura singletrack and MT500).

However, despite all that, for bikepacking trips I still often wear an Outdry and accept wet hands/wrists. But at least I know that my body will stay dry and I can wear it for a few days on end. I even emailed them asking if I could buy more material or an old jacket to lengthen the sleeves but no joy. I bought a product called Wet Cuffs which is for motorbiking (I ride motorbikes too) but didn't have huge success with them

Bikepacking in cold and wet weather means I use pogies so wrists aren't as much of a problem

These days most of my none-bikepacking riding is no more than 3-4 hours in total so a roadie jacket works pretty well. Although I avoid waterproofs wherever possible and ride in a windproof. I ride with a hip pack so favour packable waterproofs.

My just in case waterproof is a Berghaus Hypersmock. Superlight but sleeves still slightly too short.
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

Thanks for that. Yeah I didn't realise this was going to be an issue for me until I started watching what I ate.

I got a muc off coat delivered today. Very nice coat but even though they say the arm length is the same as my gore XL, the arms are still too short 😂

By the time I've found one it will be summer!
Shewie

Post by Shewie »

Santa brought me one of these, in fact he brought me three in the end. I usually go for large in roadie brands, opened it on Xmas day and it was like a tent on me, sent it back for a medium then again for a small.

It's got a nice long drop back and holds off a shower, sleeves are a good length I think

https://stolengoat.com/product/mens-mtb-enduro-jacket/
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

^^^
So, your choices are keeping off the cakes and no jacket or having cakes and having a jacket….? :???:
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

Must be the case. I do like cake though.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Just get something from Montane... the med Prism and Fireball jackets I have must be 1.5 to 2" longer sleeved than any bike jacket I've owned and they're a slim fit generally. Their sleeve design is so that your wrist stays covered and tucked into a glove as you reach up for a hold. Best outdoor jacket fits I've found.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

Talking of Montane Jackets, does anyone know if the Montane Featherlite is suitably long armed? Trying to decide between a small which would fit chest wise or if I need a medium for the arm length.
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

I’ve found one on Montane. I sold my wheels, almost bought it, then the ebayer changed their mind. Good job I didn’t buy it!!
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Sportspursuit and sport shoes are both good for montane, often heavily reduced
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

Ooh good call!
jameso

Post by jameso »

PaulB2 wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 3:40 pm Talking of Montane Jackets, does anyone know if the Montane Featherlite is suitably long armed? Trying to decide between a small which would fit chest wise or if I need a medium for the arm length.
The down jacket? If so it is, but the M size I bought (MY22) was slightly slimmer than I expected in the body and went back - the waist area was very slim (I'm a 32" waist and it had little space) and felt like a between S and M size Vs the M Prism and Fireball jackets I have.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

I meant the featherlite trail jacket - it's a lightweight windproof - the medium prism I have is quite roomy in the chest and the arms are perfect so I was just curious if the cut was similar.