Anyone take binoculars on their trips?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Anyone take binoculars on their trips?

Post by redefined_cycles »

My Praktica (well,the name sounds like that... maybe starts with an N... I forget!) 8 x 21 binoculars are now on the last legs. I blame the little one. Tookem out the other day to see if I could spy some birds and realised (after some reading) that they come in waterproof versions and some are gas filled to reduce poor focus/condensation issues.

Just wondering if anyone else takes out binoculars for them days when a bird of prey or similar is about but in the distance... Or it's just flown away after spotting you. Could also be good for hill watching too (yes, I'm easily please and always look over at Black Hill once at a good height).

I'm thinking something by Hawke seems a reasonable pirchase. Being small and compact but also reports of them being on a par with the likes of Zeiss and (I think) Lieca... etc etc

Any info is good info I suppose but I think I'll have to learn how to store em properly in my packs this time round...
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Anyone take binoculars on their trips?

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Tempted sometimes by a small monocular, mainly for scouting distance paths on the hillside or potential overnight spots ... saves trudging 3 miles only to discover it's boggy :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Optics are expensive. Set your budget first, then choose the bins

The Hawke ones won't be as good as Leicas but they'll still be good and a lot cheaper. I have cheap ones and expensive (Leica) ones, the best ones are the ones you have with you. I now leave a set in the van all the time. I rarely take mine bikepacking due to space available but usually take some when I'm on foot. Really good for looking for where a trail goes too

I found a monocular less use and tend to carry it less. I have two, an 8x20 one somewhere but its a cheap Bushnell one and not very good. Also have a Zeiss 5x10 one, its actually surprisingly good (although it's pricey), more useful that its size implies. Maybe I should carry it more!
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Most of the major camera manufacturers also produce binoculars (and other optic based kit like microscopes). We've a pair of 8 x24 Pentax binoculars which are decent enough for bird watching. You are only ever going to get so small before they don't fit to your eyes!

Like most things you get what you pay for but there'll be a price below which it simply isn't worth it but I couldn't tell you what that is. The nearest model in the current line up to what we've got is about £80 - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pentax-61804-U ... 00U89VBWY/ but there are models from Olympus and Nikon at around the £50 mark. For occasional use (and to limit losses from errant little fingers) I'd stick around that sort of figure - you don't want a pair of two grand Zeiss binoculars being left in the garden!
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

Funny you mention bins as I was just thinking I should take mine on the planned BAM tonight to a bird hide on Montrose basin.

Stupidly, the small ones have just gone to the garage in the car :roll:

I'll just have to make space the beefier pair. None of ours are fancy , bigger pair are 42mm x 8, smaller ones in the car are 32mm x8

Forecast -4c tonight :-bd
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I bought a 10-25x42 scope off Amazon - it's an 'Orion' so nothing flash although its' optics are actually pretty good. The zoom is useless without a tripod but it works Ok at 10x. That said I think a pair of binocs are easier to use and not much more bulky. I've an ancient pair of 8x25 prakticas and they are easier to use than the scope. But (when I remember) they are good thing to have with you for bird, animal, hill and trail spotting!
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

Our bigger ones (8x42mm) are Hawke and are perfectly good enough quality for our bird and general wildlife watching use. :-bd

I've friends who are full on birders, twitchers even, with the newest Swarovski bins which I've tried and are fantastic, especially in low light and poor contrast, but at more than the cost of my bike I'll never be buying any :lol:
redefined_cycles

are fantastic, especially in low light and poor contrast, but at more than the cost of my bike I'll never be buying any :lol:
:lol: That's what I'm trying to avoid. Taking the little man out fortnightly on Peaks walks so summat cheaper but good is definitely needed...

Budget I think around the £180 but if £80 is just as good, then why not. I assumed 10 x are harder to manage with bikepacking hands...
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

more than the cost of my bike
Nothing I own [ except the house*] meets that criteria

* still technically the banks
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

10x seem to be the new favourite with birders rather than the historical 8x. I guess it depends on your needs, what you want to carry, and budget. I'd definitely avoid any bins with a 'zoom'.
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

Lazarus wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 12:14 pm
more than the cost of my bike
Nothing I own [ except the house*] meets that criteria

* still technically the banks
Don't own a house, but the car (2010 zafira) is probably only just pipping the bike in current value :lol:
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Mum and Dad have a pair of RSPB branded bins which are good and weren't that dear. Not sure who actually makes them.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

I know the PLP bloke likes the Nocs Zoom Tube which he uses for birding (twitching, twitchering?) but it looks pricy in the UK.
Johnallan

Post by Johnallan »

I don't pretend to know anything about optics. However, I do sometimes take some small bins with me on the bike. They're a pair of 8x25s off amazon and make small things look bigger and cost about 50 quid. They work for me and I'm not scared to carry them incase they get damaged. That's about it really :smile:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Celestron-7134 ... d_rp_0_2_t
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

I got a 10x25 monocular for Christmas - an inspired present from my mum, given I'd thought about looking for one, but never even voiced it. It's pretty compact, but weighs "not nothing" (actually, box says 5.6oz to be more precise, so, what, 150g ish). I wouldn't take it on every bike trip, but it's nice to have with in the hills. Just looked it up, and it's this one: https://www.wexphotovideo.com/vortex-so ... ar-1677033 Seems decent to me, but I have nothing to compare it with.
redefined_cycles

Maybe I need a monocular afterall. Can't remember why I thought it's not as good for certaij things (totally forgotten the discussion on some site exolaining why it's for a specific thing that's not actually bird/hill watching!).
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Yeah, I assume there's some drawbacks otherwise binoculars wouldn't be so prevalent, presumably depth perception, and maybe ability to focus, but if weight and size are of high concern, it seems a big win.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Depth perception and field of vision are the big losses - trust me i only have one working eye
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

The problem with monoculars is the same as with 'scopes in that the field of view is pretty narrow so you can sometimes have trouble keying in on your 'target'. It's somewhat amplified with monoculars as by their nature they have a small objective lens (like the 25mm one mentioned above), spotting scopes often have 42-60mm objective lenses.

Totally depends on your intended use. A monocular could be perfectly fine for having something handy and small on your for the odd occasion you want to look at something that takes your interest.
redefined_cycles

I reckon 8 x 25 or 8 x 32 is what I'll be going for then. Not as if I'll be carrying em on any ITT type 'thingies' anyway. Sciatica has taught me alot about just going for a nice liesurely ride (but I'm starting to count my gate stoppage time again :-bd ).
josh

Post by josh »

I have a set of Nikon Prostaff 7s 10x30 (which were about £160) which are a of a nice size and quality, waterproof too. They have a few different models at different price points.

Or, the RSPB range (which are Viking binoculars rebranded) are good value too. We have a set of the Puffin ones, which are 8x32 and about £70. The Nikons are sharper and better in worse conditions, but at half the price the RPSB ones are very good value and a lighter build.

I'm yet to actually take them with me bikepacking though. I've considered it, but the trips I've been on so far haven't lent themselves to bird watching. I'll probably take them at some point though. Successful bird watching tends to require sitting and waiting, rather than trying to get the binoculars out after seeing something, which is probably what would happen if I took them bikepacking.
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

All packed, 8x42 bins too, for an overnight on the Montrose basin. Due to get to -4c, but dry.

redefined_cycles

Successful bird watching tends to require sitting and waiting, rather than trying to get the binoculars out after seeing something.
What about sitting and watching with the stove on and maybe a brewed coffee at hand... I usually end up pulling iut the phone just after spotting em and then they're gone!! I'll have to start this method of sitting and waiting...
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

I got the bairns a couple of these monoculars as a stocking filler. Nowt special, but do a surprisingly decent job of making far away things a bit more visible.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/children- ... R-p-187431
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

redefined_cycles wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 2:57 pm
Successful bird watching tends to require sitting and waiting, rather than trying to get the binoculars out after seeing something.
What about sitting and watching with the stove on and maybe a brewed coffee at hand... I usually end up pulling iut the phone just after spotting em and then they're gone!! I'll have to start this method of sitting and waiting...
I have plenty of hot chocolate packed, even some real liquid milk as the penthouse suite means no tent/tarp/bivi/hammock required.