I made pogies

Make your own gear? Talk about it here!

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

josh

I made pogies

Post by josh »

I'm far from the most accomplished MYOGer, but I enjoy the process.

My hands get cold easily when riding in cold weather and while I wear windproof gloves I find that they aren't really windproof. I also wanted to avoid wearing thicker, insulated gloves as I find them cumbersome. So, pogies seemed like a useful solution to keep the wind off my hands even more, but without adding bulk.

There's loads of options around to buy and I might end up doing so, but I'd previously bought some green ripstop nylon to use as a groundsheet but it proved way too slippery so I thought at least try making some – I wanted thin ones anyway. I'd seen a guide for making pogies on bikepacking.com, so this is loosely inspired by that, but simpler and without anything actually being measured.

I made a couple of mockups out of an old bedsheet (I find having scrap fabric like this super useful to test ideas). The first one was too small, so I just scaled it up a bit for the second then I marked and cut a couple of shapes out of the nylon.

Given that I wasn't too fussy about the neatness, I didn't make a template or anything, I just kind of winged it with each shape.

To hold the fabric in place while I ran it through the machine I taped it down with some washi tape as it's super slippery and annoying otherwise.

I found some elastic and a couple of toggles (I'll try and find a couple more, so that the bar hole can have them too, it's a bit of a faff having to have the elastic tight already) I'd wombled from somewhere and they were done. They also just about fit on a pair of curly bars for my road bike, so that's a bonus.

They'll be mostly waterproof and functionally windproof thanks to the material, and pack down super small when not needed.

ledburner

Re: I made pogies

Post by ledburner »

:-bd
josh wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 12:35 pm I'm far from the most accomplished MYOGer, but I enjoy the process.

My hands get cold easily when riding in cold weather and while I wear windproof gloves I find that they aren't really windproof. I also wanted to avoid wearing thicker, insulated gloves as I find them cumbersome. So, pogies seemed like a useful solution to keep the wind off my hands even more, but without adding bulk.

There's loads of options around to buy and I might end up doing so, but I'd previously bought some green ripstop nylon to use as a groundsheet but it proved way too slippery so I thought at least try making some – I wanted thin ones anyway. I'd seen a guide for making pogies on bikepacking.com, so this is loosely inspired by that, but simpler and without anything actually being measured.

I made a couple of mockups out of an old bedsheet (I find having scrap fabric like this super useful to test ideas). The first one was too small, so I just scaled it up a bit for the second then I marked and cut a couple of shapes out of the nylon.

Given that I wasn't too fussy about the neatness, I didn't make a template or anything, I just kind of winged it with each shape.

To hold the fabric in place while I ran it through the machine I taped it down with some washi tape as it's super slippery and annoying otherwise.

I found some elastic and a couple of toggles (I'll try and find a couple more, so that the bar hole can have them too, it's a bit of a faff having to have the elastic tight already) I'd wombled from somewhere and they were done. They also just about fit on a pair of curly bars for my road bike, so that's a bonus.

They'll be mostly waterproof and functionally windproof thanks to the material, and pack down super small when not needed.

I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
josh

Post by josh »

Just used these on a quick ride into town and they are exactly what I needed – they kept the wind & sleet off my gloves. It was around freezing and just one extra sheet of fabric meant I was warm with just 'normal' windproof mtb gloves on underneath.

Also I found that having the 'bar hole' already cinched helped solve the issue of how to get the arm holes to go up my arms once I'd already got one hand in (which initially had me thinking they were going to be useless or useful for one hand only!) – I put them on my hands & arms like mitts first, then stretched the bar hole over the bars from the inside.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Excellent work :-bd

Bonus points for use of the term "wombling" which I haven't heard in this context for a few years :grin:
josh wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 3:21 pm Also I found that having the 'bar hole' already cinched helped solve the issue of how to get the arm holes to go up my arms once I'd already got one hand in (which initially had me thinking they were going to be useless or useful for one hand only!) – I put them on my hands & arms like mitts first, then stretched the bar hole over the bars from the inside.
I also have this problem with my Alpkit ones... and I don't think your technique would work sadly. I'm wondering what happens if you have to take your hands out, e.g. to signal, too? I added some plastic to mine to stiffen them, but think I could improve it.

Have you added anything to attach them to the end of the bar? That's something that seems to help with them being pushed down - the fancier ones having an integrated bar end plug.
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

Have you added anything to attach them to the end of the bar? That's something that seems to help with them being pushed down - the fancier ones having an integrated bar end plug.
I used a plastic snap button screw on the bars but it's be suggested magnets will do the same.
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Good work. Something a bit different but tailored for the individual :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
josh

Post by josh »

thenorthwind wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:13 pm what happens if you have to take your hands out, e.g. to signal

Have you added anything to attach them to the end of the bar?
I avoided doing so as much as possible and accepted I’d get cold hands for a bit until I can stop to get it back on properly. I can get my hand in there a bit while it’s on the bars, so it’d do for a while.

Nothing attaching it to the bar, just the elastic on the hole. The whole thing is just one piece of nylon, two lengths of elastic and a toggle. Not advanced at all.

I’m not skilled enough to do anything more involved and I just wanted the most basic version to keep the wind off.