Putting ‘mountains’ into mountain biking

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

In Reverse

Re: Putting ‘mountains’ into mountain biking

Post by In Reverse »

Alpinum wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:43 pm I remember the eastern descent to be really, really good. *Shrugs*.
Yeah, it's tremendous. There were a couple of better descents on the trip which didn't need quite the same exertion to reach though - the eastern drop off the Meidpass might have been my favourite. The bottom of that is wonderful https://www.strava.com/segments/10457637

The traditional route up Riedmatten is no longer accesible because of a landslide, I didn't know this at the time though so attempted to carry the bike down then back up an almost impassable boulder field following my gpx:

That last 800m of distance took me an hour :lol:

Also,tbf, you are a) considerably stronger and b) much better acclimatised to the mountains then me so I'm allowed to have a moan about this.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I got up Helvelyn three times in my youth, it was definitely 'one to do' and the descent off dollywagon and down into Grizedale was highly entertaining, especially on a rigid 26er! The hike-a-bike up to lower Man was also a key feature of the circuit...

Never really done any since, excepting a memorably sunny day in '96 when me and a mate dragged our bikes to the top of Suilven (and then dragged them down again...)

Ben macduibh back in the winter of '19/20 was a good 'un....

Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

In Reverse wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:43 pm
Alpinum wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:43 pm I remember the eastern descent to be really, really good. *Shrugs*.
Yeah, it's tremendous. There were a couple of better descents on the trip which didn't need quite the same exertion to reach though - the eastern drop off the Meidpass might have been my favourite. The bottom of that is wonderful https://www.strava.com/segments/10457637

The traditional route up Riedmatten is no longer accesible because of a landslide, I didn't know this at the time though so attempted to carry the bike down then back up an almost impassable boulder field following my gpx:

That last 800m of distance took me an hour :lol:

Also,tbf, you are a) considerably stronger and b) much better acclimatised to the mountains then me so I'm allowed to have a moan about this.
Yeah, Meidpass is one of those superstar singletrack. As is Augstbordpass, especially down its W side. There is a lot of what I like to call proper mountain biking on the HHR.
D'oh! Your Riedmatten adventure would have left me with type 3 feelings too, I guess.

Hmm... I'm more used to the Alps (altitude and feeling for the terrain), but from eg our last common ride my memory is that you came directly from a very long ride with back to back distances I never cover, whilst I was fresh and springy. I think we'd get along well, also pace wise, in all sorts of terrain.

The offer still stands. Karl and Pete seemed to have enjoyed it :grin:
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

It felt like going up a mountain for me .... Glorious views from
Just passed the Bike haulage HaB rock steps.
On the way up past Lonscale (fell) to Skiddaw House.day1 North Lakes SpringBreak 22.

For those that are interested. The location. Near the yellow arrow, next the the blue p in the map key, top right. See attached map on North Lakes Spring Break thread [linky].
Ps photo credit Boxelder:Imagetook a picture, looking up the track on a more atmospheric day. Aka murky.
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
Leerowe76

Post by Leerowe76 »

ImageSnowdon by Lee Rowe, on Flickr

Last time up a proper mountain, Snowdon last year.
Most of my riding is spent riding round the Clwyds, Halkyns, LLangollen areas etc
Living On Dreams & Custard Creams
Leerowe76

Post by Leerowe76 »

ledburner wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:41 am It felt like going up a mountain for me .... Glorious views from
Just passed the Bike haulage HaB rock steps.
On the way up past Lonscale (fell) to Skiddaw House.day1 North Lakes SpringBreak 22.

For those that are interested. The location. Near the yellow arrow, next the the blue p in the map key, top right. See attached map on North Lakes Spring Break thread [linky].
Ps photo credit Boxelder:Imagetook a picture, looking up the track on a more atmospheric day. Aka murky.
Rode that section in the opposite direction on last years Jennride, fantastic views/scenery :-bd
Living On Dreams & Custard Creams