North Yorkshire Moors 300, July 1/2

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

boxelder

North Yorkshire Moors 300, July 1/2

Post by boxelder »

Entries are open: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/the-yorksh ... 2C2NemNGAM

Really looking forward to the cramp and discomfort this will inescapably induce.......
riderdown

Re: North Yorkshire Moors 300, July 1/2

Post by riderdown »

Entered, better start riding a bike
Leerowe76

Post by Leerowe76 »

Could be tricky as its the wife's birthday that weekend, but I'm working on it :wink:
Living On Dreams & Custard Creams
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Cheers Andy, I'd have missed that otherwise. I'm in :-bd
Stinginglip

Post by Stinginglip »

Gutted..date is a clash with the missus doing the national 3 peaks, kid & dog sitting it is then. :roll:
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Just had a squint at the route - looks a good mix of stuff, inc. a descent of Rosedale chimney and a mere 6500m of climbing.... Also two passes of the Wainstones for a quick bit of mid ride bouldering :-bd
Boab

Post by Boab »

fatbikephil wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:05 pm .. a descent of Rosedale chimney ...
*cough* ascent... *cough*

That bit where you cross the B1257, in both directions... :Face with Peeking Eye:
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Boab wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 11:56 am
fatbikephil wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:05 pm .. a descent of Rosedale chimney ...
*cough* ascent... *cough*

That bit where you cross the B1257, in both directions... :Face with Peeking Eye:
Ah. Wasn't actually sure which way it went. Oh well, looks like a double arrow hill on both sides of the valley so not much difference in real terms.... I'll be pushing it in any case!
Boab

Post by Boab »

Even though this has been in the calendar since it was first announced. I'm getting the evils as it our daughter "prom" on the Saturday. Plus we're off on holiday a couple of days later, so it's the full guilt trip "What if you break a leg...?"... 😐
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Phil, on the Strava link if you run your mouse over the elevation profile there's a dot that moves along the course :wink:

I've a feeling it's going to need some tweaking...

At km42 he's got the route going up from Huthwaite Green and over Carlton Bank which is a footpath (it's part of the Cleveland Way), the options are to head north (we did this last year on our trip round there) and then back up the road to Carlton Bank or head south into Scugdale and up through Barker's Crags and past the remains of the TV mast on Bilsdale Moor.

Dropping down to the sea (and back up) at Robin Hood's Bay might be interesting :lol:

I know Rosedale Chimney is "iconic" but there's a brilliant BW that runs from the White Horse pub a third of the way up the Chimney down to Lastingham that I thought he'd include rather than just head over the moors. There's also a good BW from the top of the Chimney past Ana's Cross, just about zero pedalling from the cross down to the moor gate at Lastingham.

The tracks over the moors are really good in the dry (or when frozen) but a nightmare if wet.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

You'll be fine Boab, just walk all the downhills :grin:
Bob - get onto Stuart, he's generally open to route improvement suggestions. I seem to recall both the YD300 and 200's had a couple of footpath sections which Stuart seemed unaware of - he reckoned his autorouting mapping software must have defaulted to these.

It'll be dust dry at the end of June :mrgreen:
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

I know Rosedale Chimney is "iconic" but there's a brilliant BW that runs from the White Horse pub a third of the way up the Chimney down to Lastingham that I thought he'd include rather than just head over the moors. There's also a good BW from the top of the Chimney past Ana's Cross, just about zero pedalling from the cross down to the moor gate at Lastingham.
That track past Ana Cross isn't bridleway for the top bit. The obvious way is on an estate track and has become a bit of a access conflict hotspot I believe. I had some contact with the main landowner around there and he seems a massive Juan Kerr - he was in the news a while ago for giving a hunt sab a good thrashing with his riding crop. There's a bit in the Book of Trespass about him too. Needless to say, he doesn't welcome cycle events.
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

Looking at the draft route, it looks like the first re-supply/services will be around 100Km - co-op in Castleton, open til 10pm. Not much by way of food shops beyond there, though pubs/cafes regularly. Somebody will turn the wrong way at one of those crossings/meetings, likely me :|
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

There's a bakery in Hutton-le-Hole, doesn't open until 9am on Sunday mornings, might be 10am can't remember now. There's a few shops just, i.e. less than 100m or so, off route here and there - there's one in Rosedale Abbey for instance.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
ton

Post by ton »

anyone doing this? i know a couple having a go. and having a go myself i think, or at least having a go at the distance with my own variation of the route possibly.
Boab

Post by Boab »

I'm doing it. Was waiting for the final route before trying to spot resupply options.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Yes I'll be there Ton, on that old garden gate again :grin:
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

Me and a couple of mates. What's the midge situation round there?
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Finalised route out - 300k dead on and 6000m of climbing. Still a few footpaths on it though....
Boab

Post by Boab »

fatbikephil wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 10:30 pm Finalised route out - 300k dead on and 6000m of climbing. Still a few footpaths on it though....
̶F̶o̶r̶ ̶t̶h̶o̶s̶e̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶u̶s̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶r̶e̶f̶u̶s̶e̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶h̶a̶v̶e̶ ̶a̶n̶y̶t̶h̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶d̶o̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶e̶v̶i̶l̶ ̶t̶e̶c̶h̶ ̶c̶o̶m̶p̶a̶n̶y̶ ̶#̶1̶,̶ ̶a̶n̶y̶ ̶c̶h̶a̶n̶c̶e̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶s̶o̶m̶e̶o̶n̶e̶ ̶D̶M̶'̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶m̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶G̶P̶X̶.̶.̶.̶?̶

Found it on Ride With GPS...
Boab

Post by Boab »

Where are folks spending he Friday night...? Does Thirsk have an equivalent to the Wynnstay...? Cause buggered if I'm paying £90 for the Premier Inn.
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

Was going to camp there is one by the racecourse. Then discovered we have relatives 35mins away so invited myself there.
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

Stealthy van kip for me I reckon. Got Friday off, so no rushing like for YD300 last year.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Staying at my folks who are about an hour up the road so will see you on the morning :-bd
Boab

Post by Boab »

Might book a pitch a High Paradise Farm for the night, only half an hour away and I know what to expect.