"Can we make bikes sustainable again?" article

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

RIP

"Can we make bikes sustainable again?" article

Post by RIP »

A long but interesting article. Glad my bikes are steel then - FAR less impact than ally :-bd .

https://solar.lowtechmagazine.com/2023/ ... again.html

Summary: "In conclusion, there are several reasons why bicycles have become less sustainable: the switch from steel to aluminium and other more energy-intensive materials, the scaling up of the bicycle manufacturing industry, increasing incompatibility and decreasing quality of components, the growing success of electric bicycles".

"Scientists have calculated the lifetime carbon emissions of a steel bike at 35 kg CO2, compared to 212 kg CO2 for an aluminium bicycle".

But: “The problem here is capitalism; it’s not the bikes.” Ah well, there we go...

"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Dyffers

Re: "Can we make bikes sustainable again?" article

Post by Dyffers »

Are people who buy steel bicycles [frames] forced to use them for no less than 20000km before they are allowed to buy another?
RIP

Post by RIP »

:smile: A mileage that probably wouldn't trouble most of us here though...
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'm surprised electric isn't rated worse / higher given what it takes to produce them and the fact they need charging? Or am I reading the figures wrong?
May the bridges you burn light your way
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Not wholly convinced by that although as Stu says it's not that clear what they are trying to say.
Plus 118g of CO2 emission for the whole life of a bike (i.e. the worst case on that list) is bugger all... Obviously if millions of people by an ally e-bike then don't use it; then that is a bad thing but I can't realistically see that happening. And the '200+' for a car is somewhat erroneous. Sorry I've been reading far too many analysis tables recently...
PaulE

Post by PaulE »

fatbikephil wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:28 pm Not wholly convinced by that although as Stu says it's not that clear what they are trying to say.
Plus 118g of CO2 emission for the whole life of a bike (i.e. the worst case on that list) is bugger all... Obviously if millions of people by an ally e-bike then don't use it; then that is a bad thing but I can't realistically see that happening. And the '200+' for a car is somewhat erroneous. Sorry I've been reading far too many analysis tables recently...
Isn't that 118g/km?
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Ah yes, eyes wide shut as usual....
Although that makes it even less believable - 118g Co2 per km seems very high, even for an e-bike.....
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

In the graph it too says "**life expectancy expressed in kilometres".
I became curious and read the provided link. I couldn't find what expectancies are... did I miss something?

The text puts the numbers into perspective. The author is just a fan of old steel frames and thinks disc brakes are the demise of axle standards. Without having to agree to everything, worth reading :-bd thanks for sharing Mr. Perrin

My perspective:
I've ridden and still ride steel, titanium and carbon frames. So far the most damaged frame material has been steel in my case. My (4) different types of MTBs all come with discs, all have the same axle dimensions. :wink:
RIP

Post by RIP »

Aye, I was a bit baffled in parts I must admit, but thought it was a fairly interesting talking point :smile: .
alpinum wrote: The author is just a fan of old steel frames and thinks disc brakes are the demise of axle standards
:wink:

Obviously I'm just put out that he doesn't mention 3x9 or tubed tyres being far more 'sustainable' as well :wink: .

johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:01 pm I'm surprised electric isn't rated worse / higher given what it takes to produce them and the fact they need charging? Or am I reading the figures wrong?
When Trek did their report I did see it mentioned that there was a decent argument that a bike running 50/50 on "green electricity" had a lower impact than a normal bike solely powered by big macs... :lol:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

"green electricity"
Uhm but where do you start and stop with that - do we consider the power required to produce turbines, panels etc or the impact of cutting forests and burning wood at Drax? I'm pretty sure there's no such thing as 'green electricity' :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 2:11 pm
"green electricity"
Uhm but where do you start and stop with that - do we consider the power required to produce turbines, panels etc or the impact of cutting forests and burning wood at Drax? I'm pretty sure there's no such thing as 'green electricity' :wink:
Oh absolutely. The problem I see with all these articles is that there are so many variables as to make it almost pointless. If you commute 100 miles a week on a carbon bike or eBike you're doing better than someone who buys a steel bike and just lets it sit idle in their shed and drives in instead.

I guess if it's just "shall I buy x or y for my commute" then it might be useful.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

RIP wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 9:41 am Aye, I was a bit baffled in parts I must admit, but thought it was a fairly interesting talking point :smile: .
alpinum wrote: The author is just a fan of old steel frames and thinks disc brakes are the demise of axle standards
:wink:

Obviously I'm just put out that he doesn't mention 3x9 or tubed tyres being far more 'sustainable' as well :wink: .
:grin:
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

johnnystorm wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 1:35 pm When Trek did their report I did see it mentioned that there was a decent argument that a bike running 50/50 on "green electricity" had a lower impact than a normal bike solely powered by big macs... :lol:
Less confirmation bias in Trek's report..?