A budget GPS tracker that might help a few

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

JohnClimber

A budget GPS tracker that might help a few

Post by JohnClimber »

Cycling/walking Trackers are really useful, life saving, but if you don't feel you will ever need to call for help in a remote area.
If you don't want to share yourself on any trackleaders website.
But you want to send a cost effective tracker home for your other half and family members to know that you are safe while in a phone signal area, this might be helpful.
It has a blue tooth search area function if you are out of phone signal area but can't find your way back to your secret bivi spot it will work with that as well.......

I've just bought the Tractive Dog tracker for Molly when we are out and about walking and running with her off the lead.

It costs less than £50 with a subscription of just a fiver a month, a long battery life it might be the answer for some riders or family members. Maybe even a tracker for your bik if you can hide it somewhere out of sight when in town.

It sends a signal from every 60 mins or 30 mins, or 15mins of every 5 mins to help extend the battery life.
It has a live function that does drain the battery on the unit by getting the Tractive to send out a signal every 2 to 3 seconds to help find your wayward dog.

It's USB charging so easy off a power bank on longer trips.

It has a strap to fix if to straps, it's lightweight, small and the mapping function on the software is brilliant.

It won't be the answer for most, but it may be the answer for some.

But in all reality, it's just a post to share a cute picture of Molly (wearing it)

Last edited by JohnClimber on Tue Feb 21, 2023 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leerowe76

Re: A budget GPS tracker that might help a few

Post by Leerowe76 »

With the stories that pop up here and there of dogs going missing when out walking/hiking in rural areas I think its great :-bd
Living On Dreams & Custard Creams
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

By the look on it's face, I don't think John's pup agrees - no more sneaking off into the undergrowth for him!
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Her 😉
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

The real downer to these devices, is downloading the trace from your trail hound, seeing just how much ground they cover (compared to you, on your bike) then feeling a bit inadequate

:wink:

Cute pooch, BTW
rudedog

Post by rudedog »

If it needs a phone service/signal to work, why wouldn’t you just use a phone instead?
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

I just use the beacon feature on Strava for that sort of thing (the reason, along with route planning, I pay for it). Cheaper than that device plus subscription for a human with a phone.

I have a fastfind 220 PLB for out of signal emergency on a remote/distance trip. It's been a while since I've done one of them though :cry: Reminds me I'd best check the battery. Old work bought this one, but an new one will be down to me.
RIP

Post by RIP »

I got back from No Sheep 'Til Buxton and Mrs Perrin gleefully showed me exactly what I'd been up to with 'Life360' on her phone, including how long we were in the pub. Luckily it didn't tell her how much we spent.

Just now a little message popped up on her phone saying that my phone had only 8% battery life. It's never done that before.

I can't be doing with all that. My folks never had any of it when I used to bugger off on my trike round the estate aged 4, but I'm still just about here. In fact maybe I'm still here because they never had any of this stuff, which is something to ponder on.
Last edited by RIP on Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Freedom is something I've always held very dear Reg, so that ^ genuinely scares me.
May the bridges you burn light your way
RIP

Post by RIP »

Am right with you there.

<digression>

The other thing that annoyed me about this Life360 spyware is that whenever I was travelling it assumed I was driving a car. Actually this assumption also pisses me off when it appears in guides or articles: "place X is only Y minutes/hours drive away".

Amusingly when I was on the train it claimed that I was "driving at 100mph+". Surprisingly I didn't get a letter this week from the cops accusing me of speeding :smile: .

</digression>
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
riderdown

Post by riderdown »

I can't be doing with all that. My folks never had any of it when I used to bugger off on my trike round the estate aged 4, but I'm still just about here. In fact maybe I'm still here because they never had any of this stuff, which is something to ponder on.
More just showing your age and where you are from

In the last week a man tried to snatch a 4 year old from the local park in broad daylight
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

In addition to John's Tractive, Pawfit is another option. It used to be about £35 and had no monthly fees. £10 on a PAYG o2 sim never ran out in the time we used it with Ku. The app allowed you to share it's live tracking with people via a web page etc, also had variable tracking times etc to save the battery. It's the size of a box of matches and was also usb chargeable. Obviously you are dependant upon cell phone service.

Another cheap/free option if an Apple Air tag, as it piggy backs off of other people's iphones. A passing car, or other walker/biker with an iphone and service would ping your location the the apple id/map, but again it relies upon somebody having an iphone with service being near you.

JohnClimber wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 9:25 pm Cycling/walking Trackers are really useful, life saving, but if you don't feel you will ever need to call for help in a remote area.
If you don't want to share yourself on any trackleaders website.
But you want to send a cost effective tracker home for your other half and family members to know that you are safe while in a phone signal area, this might be helpful.
It has a blue tooth search area function if you are out of phone signal area but can't find your way back to your secret bivi spot it will work with that as well.......

I've just bought the Tractive Dog tracker for Molly when we are out and about walking and running with her off the lead.

It costs less than £50 with a subscription of just a fiver a month, a long battery life it might be the answer for some riders or family members. Maybe even a tracker for your bik if you can hide it somewhere out of sight when in town.

It sends a signal from every 60 mins or 30 mins, or 15mins of every 5 mins to help extend the battery life.
It has a live function that does drain the battery on the unit by getting the Tractive to send out a signal every 2 to 3 seconds to help find your wayward dog.

It's USB charging so easy off a power bank on longer trips.

It has a strap to fix if to straps, it's lightweight, small and the mapping function on the software is brilliant.

It won't be the answer for most, but it may be the answer for some.

But in all reality, it's just a post to share a cute picture of Molly (wearing it)

AndreR

Post by AndreR »

Ray Bradbury published 1953!!

chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/http://www.sediment.uni-goettingen.de/s ... rderer.pdf
If at first you don't succeed you're running about average!

Introverts Unite! We are here, we are uncomfortable and we want to go home.