Wheel adjuster / Chain tensioner

Make your own gear? Talk about it here!

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

fatbikephil

Wheel adjuster / Chain tensioner

Post by fatbikephil »

I bought a couple of DMR chain tugs for a bike I'm building (for a friend *cough*) which has a 12mm through axle. First up was to drill the tugs out to 12 mm which took a bit of faffing as the stud needed to be ground back where it screws into the alloy body. Next up only one will fit as the axle doesn't extend beyond the drop out on the non DS. You don't really need one on this side but it makes getting the wheel aligned easier.

So got a 6mm stainless penny washer, filed down an M6 hex bolt and welded it onto said washer (expert welders look away)

Ready to go although a bit rough....

New non DS

DS.

A lot of work for a small gain but Surly Snuggnuts are out of stock everywhere.... (and £40)
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Wheel adjuster / Chain tensioner

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

It's the mother of invention :-bd BTW I might have a Tugnut lurking in the workshop if you'd like me to delve.
May the bridges you burn light your way
fatbikephil

Re: Wheel adjuster / Chain tensioner

Post by fatbikephil »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 8:09 pm It's the mother of invention :-bd BTW I might have a Tugnut lurking in the workshop if you'd like me to delve.
Cheers Stu - I don't think a tugnutt would work as it's for 10mm axles instead of 12. I guess I could drill it but I think this lash up will work.