Tent and sleeping bag recommendations

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Rockbus

Tent and sleeping bag recommendations

Post by Rockbus »

Hi
Looking to invest in new tent and sleeping bag to finally start my bikepacking adventures!
Currently thinking about olpro voyager as seems decent value at £120.

https://olproshop.com/voyager-lightweig ... rson-tent/

Appreciate any thoughts on it and if better alternatives at that sort of price.

I’m also after a new sleeping bag as current one isn’t warm enough, any recommendations for a 3 or poss 4 seasons one that is compact. Preferably under £100 if that is possible?
Thanks
whitestone

Re: Tent and sleeping bag recommendations

Post by whitestone »

That tent is a bit on the heavy side at 2.2kg. Its packed dimensions are also fairly big especially if you were to try and mount it between drop bars (you haven't said but it's something that needs to be thought about) You also haven't said if it's just for yourself or you would be using it with a partner and therefore can share the weight. Some people like to do the "number of people" + 1 to give extra room when camping. If it's just for yourself there's the Alpkit Soloist at around the same price point.

Sleeping bags are definitely: "cheap, light, quality - pick any two". For under £100 you are almost certainly going to be going down the synthetic road. No problem with that but they do tend to pack a bit bulkier when compared to a down bag of the same temp rating. Some are allergic to down so can't use down bags. It's worth pointing out that many synthetic fillings don't like to be compressed on a regular basis as it breaks down the filaments leading to loss of insulation - not sure about the latest fillings. Note that 3 season etc doesn't really mean much plus bags these days should be temp rated according to EN-13537/ISO-23537 (same spec just different organisations), three season in the Scottish Highlands is somewhat different to southern England. Have a look in the classifieds to see if anyone is selling on a bag.

There's two strategies for getting a bag:

1. get a really cheap one to see how you get on with bikepacking, etc. then save up to get a decent one later on if you want to keep on doing it.
2. Get a good one straight away. The cost lessens over time (7 years ago I paid £125 for a down quilt, I've done nearly 200 nights in it). If it isn't for you you are likely to get a good price for it selling it on.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

With regard to sleeping bags all that Bob says is true but every now and then a deal can be found and this here, is this years https://rockrun.com/collections/sleepin ... 5452895413 You really aren't going to find anything nearly as good for double that.

If you want something that bit warmer and don't mind a bit more weight / bulk, then there's this too: https://rockrun.com/collections/sleepin ... 5274670261

For a tent, I'd be tempted to have a look about and see if I could find a SH Lunar Solo or Lanshan 1.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Rockbus

Post by Rockbus »

Thanks, just coming back on couple qs from that.
Yes it is just for me but I like the idea of bit more space than the coffin type 1 person ones but guess that results in more weight.
Other thing I liked about olpro one is you pitch outer canvas first which is always my preferred type as better when pitching in wet.

The rockrun bag looks a bargain!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

The rockrun bag looks a bargain!
For the spec they really are.
Boab

Post by Boab »

Rockbus wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 2:35 pm Yes it is just for me but I like the idea of bit more space than the coffin type 1 person ones but guess that results in more weight.
Other thing I liked about olpro one is you pitch outer canvas first which is always my preferred type as better when pitching in wet.
Tents like the Lunar Solo and its Chinese knock off, the Lanshan 1 Pro, are single skin, so no worries on that front. I've found my Lanshan is a total condensation generator, if not pitched well. To be honest though, it's been a pretty great investment even with the condensation and the realistic next move would be some sort of Dyneema exotica*. I picked mine up second hand off here, although you can easily get them off eBay.

If you haven't already, then you should check out the selection on Ultralight Outdoor Gear, which will at least give you an idea of what's available and how much you can be expected to part with.

* Zpacks Plex Solo or a Durston X-Mid Pro 1, 💸💸💸💸💸
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

I like the idea of bit more space than the coffin type 1 person ones but guess that results in more weight
Its not camping so you are likely to crawl in , late at night tired, go to sleep wake up and get moving. I doubt I have ever spent more than an hour awake in mine in one camp. Enough space to get dressed is all I require [ you can just about carefully make a brew in mine]. Basically its a shelter rather than a camping tent

I agree about Flysheet first - this is after all the UK - Trekker stealth owner but they are about £200
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Boab wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 4:38 pm
Rockbus wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 2:35 pm Yes it is just for me but I like the idea of bit more space than the coffin type 1 person ones but guess that results in more weight.
Tents like the Lunar Solo and its Chinese knock off, the Lanshan 1 Pro, are single skin, so no worries on that front. I've found my Lanshan is a total condensation generator, if not pitched well. To be honest though, it's been a pretty great investment even with the condensation and the realistic next move would be some sort of Dyneema exotica*. I picked mine up second hand off here, although you can easily get them off eBay.

If you haven't already, then you should check out the selection on Ultralight Outdoor Gear, which will at least give you an idea of what's available and how much you can be expected to part with.

* Zpacks Plex Solo or a Durston X-Mid Pro 1, 💸💸💸💸💸
I'm really liking my v1 of the Durston 1p Bob. Just about stood up to a storm in the back garden aswell (well, howling winds and a bad pitch). It's hopefully the last tent I buy...
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Dibs when you sell it Shaf :wink: :lol:
Boab

Post by Boab »

Lazarus wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 6:05 pm Dibs when you sell it Shaf :wink: :lol:
Damn, beaten to it... 🤣
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
Rockbus

Post by Rockbus »

Well, definitely not going for olpro one now
Stumbled across this one which is lighter but still roomy, worryingly few reviews though!
https://www.snowleader.co.uk/sintesi-2- ... 2tEALw_wcB

Or possibly one of these
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/trekking- ... mc=8545744

https://alpkit.com/products/soloist

I’d really like the vango f10 but they’re all at £280+ at moment when think have been nearer 200

Advice welcome!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'm assuming the Decathlon one pitches inner first?

Soloist seems to have lots of fans but none that you've linked to are what I'd call 'roomy'. A bit better than a damp coffin I'll grant you but no real fun to spend much time inside.
Rockbus

Post by Rockbus »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:12 pm I'm assuming the Decathlon one pitches inner first?

Soloist seems to have lots of fans but none that you've linked to are what I'd call 'roomy'. A bit better than a damp coffin I'll grant you but no real fun to spend much time inside.
Yeah it is inner first which I’m not crazy about. At moment I’m thinking at this price I need to sacrifice space for less weight. Guess I’m only going to sleep in it when not riding
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

You can make a summer or autumn bag work in winter with layers, liners etc. You can't make a winter bag lighter or less bulky. Buy the best bag or quilt you can that will do the average temps you'll be out in most often (bearing in mind whether you sleep hot or cold) as it'll be easiest to use most of the time. Take a blanket, extra jacket, fleece liner etc for the extreme weather.

Also, a good mat is a better early investment than the bag. A good mat will compensate for an average bag but even a really good bag won't make up for an ineffective mat.

IMO and YMMV :cool:
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

He is not wrong though a poor r value for your mat cannot be overcome by a good sleeping bag. I learnt this the cold hard way. Thermarest are the best exped are more competitively priced.

I like a sol escape bivvy* to upgrade a bag and it also allows you to get in wet and muddy without having to worry about the state of your bag

* Claims to be ok on its own to 10 degrees but I won't be the one to test this ambitious claim.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Boab wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 7:01 pm
Lazarus wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 6:05 pm Dibs when you sell it Shaf :wink: :lol:
Damn, beaten to it... 🤣
No... I have my stuff sat inside it whilst I fix up the outhouse. It's holding up brilliantly and when I open the zip to gaze through the mesh, the books and bobs all smile at me approvingly. Not selling this month yet :grin:

Plus.. there's always a reason I sell my gear. Genuine reasons, honest!
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Thermarest are the best .......
IYO :wink:
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

For once I might just be with the majority view :lol:
Stinginglip

Post by Stinginglip »

I've used my Lanshan 1 twice now,it replaced a coffin style OEX which I just couldn't cope with anymore. It's got a inner mesh tent so I've not had issues with condensation but it is heavier than the single skin pro version. You need a pole..Stu sorted that for me and I've added different pegs and an extra guide line on the door so I can pitch it higher so there's more porch room for cooking and getting changed. For the cost v weight v room I couldn't find anything better value. :-bd
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Everyone will tell you something different.......

I'll be no different.

But after years of trying gear my go to kit now is

Tent
6 Moons Luna Solo
Using a Bear Bones Pole
This is more of a tarp tent, so can be opened to the nice elements or closed off to midges and the the bad elements.

Sleeping bag for the best nights sleep that I've ever had is this one for 8 months of the year in the UK
https://www.bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk/ ... untry-bed/
rudedog

Post by rudedog »

Vango have just released a bikepacking friendly (poles pack to 30cm) and fairly light tent (trail weight of 1.49kg)

With an RRP of £155, it’s pretty budget friendly too

https://www.vango.co.uk/gb/camping-equi ... t-100.html

Not available until the end of April though

The Wild country zephyros 1 compact (also has short 30cm poles) is currently on offer for £150 (normally £220) and weighs just over 1.5kg

https://hillanddaleoutdoors.co.uk/produ ... twQAvD_BwE

They also have the 2 man version for £185 which has a weight of 1.8 kg
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

JohnClimber wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 1:30 pm Everyone will tell you something different.......

I'll be no different.

But after years of trying gear...
Pretty much this. Most of us can't afford to try everything so tend to go with what's been tried (and continues to be used) by others. Do we end up with "the perfect bit of gear"? Of course not! But we do tend to end up with something that is at least good enough for the majority of our personal use, mainly I suspect because we then just stop looking as any potential "gains" aren't worth the cost/risk.

Occasionally something does come along that upsets the status quo, the best example I can think of at the moment is the Durston X-mid tent - look at online reviews and the biggest downside anyone can come up with is that it's nearly impossible to get one.

Generally if you search this site the following camps (sic) tend to appear:

Sleeping mats - Exped or Thermarest NeoAir

Sleeping bags - Cumulus quilts, PHD bags for the wealthy, Mountain Gear Lamina for the synthetic

tents: go into two categories - tents and tarps.

Just as an example we've the following:

Exped Hyperlite Synmats
Cumulus 150 & 350 quilts
PHD Minim 200 sleeping bag
Trekkertent cuben fibre 2.5m x 1.5m tarp
Alpkit Rig3.5 tarp
Alpkit Rig7 tarp
Three homemade tarps for hammocking
Wild Country Lasercomp tent
Big Agnes Copper Spur UL 2 tent
kvragu

Post by kvragu »

JohnClimber wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 1:30 pm

But after years of trying gear...

Cumulus 150 & 350 quilts

[/quote]

How do you feel about the usecase of the 150? I always felt kinda tempted by it, but then again seems kinda thin?
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Given that I've used it for over 170 nights I would probably say that I get on with it!

I'm a warm sleeper so that helps I suppose but I find it true to the stated temp rating. I got it to act as a second layer over my PHD bag for the winter months and I've used that combo down to -6C which is good enough for most year round use here in the UK - Scottish winter I'd want a bit more. I've the original model which is a bit narrower than the current one.
kvragu

Post by kvragu »

I've got one of their big comforters as a 3 season 0-5 C thing, I guess on paper it should cover the 5-15C range...