Travel insurance for cycling

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

woodsmith

Travel insurance for cycling

Post by woodsmith »

Who are you using for travel insurance for your foreign bike trips?
Ideally I'm looking for single trip up to 12 months that can be extended while abroad.
Medical and repatriation only . Don't need cancellation and sleeping in a tent/fleabag hotel usually doesn't cover the anti-theft requirements.
Not riding in competition.
Worldwide ( minus N. America)
Worldwide (inc. N. America)
Ta very much.
voodoo_simon

Re: Travel insurance for cycling

Post by voodoo_simon »

I’ve bought dogtag for travel in the past (many many years ago) but never used them if you get my drift…

And I’m 90% sure I’ve used https://www.sportscoverdirect.com/insur ... insurance/ for the Rovaniemi races, well, bought the insurance but again, not actually used them. Worth checking out
Teaman

Post by Teaman »

I bought a policy from
ABTA Travel Sure back in Oct.
From what I remember it covered mtb’ing up to 2500m. I don’t think it was necessarily the cheapest but it looked like it was fairly good cover. Like you, I was more interested in the health cover than the loss/theft personal effects etc
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

Used a couple over the years, last two were DogTag & Sports Cover Direct. Even though i didn't claim on either, even when i should have one year, I'm not convinced about DogTag. It could be worth doing some research on reviews.

Sports Cover Direct appeared to be much more proffessional, i was able to ring & actually explain to someone exactly what i was intending to do, they even had a look at the event(s) on-line, which meant i was much more reasured that i was taking out adequate cover..

It's a must to read all the small-print whichever provider, i found some of the exclusions made their cover worthless for what i was intending to do..
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!