Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Richpips

Sleeping Bag -40c. 😁

Post by Richpips »

burty

Re: Sleeping Bag -40c. 😁

Post by burty »

there is a bloke on youtube ,channel called kent survival has been using it for a few weeks now .
apparently it very good, warm ,no condensation , dont know the weight or how it packs down though
The Cumbrian

Post by The Cumbrian »

burty wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 7:43 am there is a bloke on youtube ,channel called kent survival has been using it for a few weeks now .
apparently it very good, warm ,no condensation , dont know the weight or how it packs down though
Weighing just 1810g, the Biigloo Aerogel sleeping bag is a stunningly warm sleeping bag at an incredibly lightweight. It’s also one you’ll probably never find anywhere else.
35l pack size too.

It's neither lightweight or compact.
“I want to see the wild country again before I die, and the Mountains..."
Bilbo Baggins.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

It's actually got some secret nasa tech that allows it to be both a -40c and -40F limit. 1800g for a minus 40c limit isn't too heavy (?) As my Tundra is a -5c limit with 400g (or is it 600g) of down. Weight is 970g. This is almost 10 times as warm but only double the weight :smile:

With Kickstarter stuff, if the project doesn't take off or go into production. What actually happens with the money people invested. Do the owners of the project keep whats left after the overheads and we get nowt?

Just wondering...
Shewie

Post by Shewie »

redefined_cycles wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 8:49 am With Kickstarter stuff, if the project doesn't take off or go into production. What actually happens with the money people invested. Do the owners of the project keep whats left after the overheads and we get nowt?

Just wondering...
I got caught out once Shaf, it was supposed to be the world's smallest mobile phone. It was all very shady and never went into production despite the funds being invested, it was a long time ago but I think we got about 70% of our cash back.

Haven't touched kickstarter since
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

I have a mate walked to the North Pole and had bag made especially. The first version had the vapour barrier (or whatever) in the wrong place, so their sweat wasn't evaporated, and froze. It got worse each night, until they had rigid icy cocoons. The second edition worked well though.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/brit ... 53900.html
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

The Cumbrian wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 7:49 am
burty wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 7:43 am there is a bloke on youtube ,channel called kent survival has been using it for a few weeks now .
Weighing just 1810g, the Biigloo Aerogel sleeping bag is a stunningly warm sleeping bag at an incredibly lightweight. It’s also one you’ll probably never find anywhere else.
35l pack size too.

It's neither lightweight or compact.
I’d say that was pretty good for it’s weight, think my -25c bag is about that sort of weight
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

The hardened cynic in me wonders why, if it's been around since the '40's, no-one else has tried it for a sleeping bag or other outdoor kit....
My -30 Alpkit bag (Cheers Rich!) weighs 1500gs....

I guess the benefit will be durability and water resistance.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

redefined_cycles wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 8:49 am It's actually got some secret nasa tech that allows it to be both a -40c and -40F limit.
Shaf, I'm assuming that's a subtle joke :wink:
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
redefined_cycles

whitestone wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:07 pm
redefined_cycles wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 8:49 am It's actually got some secret nasa tech that allows it to be both a -40c and -40F limit.
Yeah... How'd they make such a blundered statement. It's written all over the site that the limit is -40c and -40 farenheit. I actually had to google it to make sure I wasn't missing anything... Am I :???:
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

redefined_cycles wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:18 pm
Yeah... How'd they make such a blundered statement. It's written all over the site that the limit is -40c and -40 farenheit. I actually had to google it to make sure I wasn't missing anything... Am I :???:
Convert -40c into f…
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

voodoo_simon wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:33 pm
Convert -40c into f…
:lol:
redefined_cycles

Convert -40c into f…
Exactly. Isn't it something like -105F with -40F translating to about -5 or +4. Whats wrong with them?

(Edit: maybe their google wasn't working when they made the quick starter... or maybe they don't realise theyre different units.. confusing thing being that the other numbers aren't translated exactly from F to C but still wrong! :???: ).
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

redefined_cycles wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:42 pm
Convert -40c into f…
Exactly. Isn't it something like -105F with -40F translating to about -5 or +4. Whats wrong with them?

(Edit: maybe their google wasn't working when they made the quick starter... or maybe they don't realise theyre different units.. confusing thing being that the other numbers aren't translated exactly from F to C but still wrong! :???: ).
OK sorry for winding you up but thanks to the weirdness of the Fahrenheit scale, -40c = -40f..... Hence some kind French person inventing the Celsius scale as it's much easier to fathom :grin:
redefined_cycles

fatbikephil wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:48 pm
redefined_cycles wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:42 pm
Convert -40c into f…

OK sorry for winding you up but thanks to the weirdness of the Fahrenheit scale, -40c = -40f..... Hence some kind French person inventing the Celsius scale as it's much easier to fathom :grin:
Who'd have thought. I always thought they were all thick. I'm getting a takeaway (from German Donner Kebab on Just Eat type place). Turns out I'm thick afterall :lol:
redefined_cycles

Bob, no I never knew. Especially since the google converter kept giving me a linear scale and translating -40 to -105. https://flytrippers.com/40f-or-40c-which-one-is-colder/ but I know now. The point at which the intersect - who'd have thought :smile:
Shewie

Post by Shewie »

I watched a YouTube vid about these bags a few weeks ago, Gareth & Zoe I think, they weren't very kind in the review despite their preference for budget kit.

It packed down to the size of the moon from memory
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

redefined_cycles wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 12:05 am Bob, no I never knew. Especially since the google converter kept giving me a linear scale and translating -40 to -105. https://flytrippers.com/40f-or-40c-which-one-is-colder/ but I know now. The point at which the intersect - who'd have thought :smile:
Shaf, both are linear scales but have different gradients so the lines must cross at some point. Not sure what converter you are looking at but searching for "celcius to fahrenheit" gives the Google converter which gives -40 being the same on both scales. C => F is (C / 5 * 9) + 32 so

-40 / 5 = -8
-8 * 9 = -72
-72 + 32 = -40

It's not surprising that Andy from Kent Survival found the bag warm, there's no way he'd get close to its claimed rating in Kent!
redefined_cycles

Thanks Bob...

Maybe it's got something to do with my browser
Maybe I need to start measuring temps in farenheit for a while to try and get the scale in my head (in case I'm ever forced to go to the US).
Shewie

Post by Shewie »

I think you're missing the minus Shaf
redefined_cycles

Shewie wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 10:22 am I think you're missing the minus Shaf
No... I did that originally aswell. Let me try again (you might be right).

...... Yes, you're right. I did add the minus but it removes it for me. Now I insisted and it gave me the correct reading. Why can't they just seal farenheit and the rest of the imperial scales, and chuck em in the sea (keeping miles though obviously).

Every day is a school day!
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

redefined_cycles wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 10:20 am Thanks Bob...

Maybe it's got something to do with my browser
You are converting +40C not -40C
redefined_cycles wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 10:20 am
Maybe I need to start measuring temps in farenheit for a while to try and get the scale in my head (in case I'm ever forced to go to the US).
NO! Never do that. Fahrenheit is a kludge of a temperature scale and needs to be confined to history.
redefined_cycles

Fahrenheit is a kludge of a temperature scale and needs to be confined to history.
Plus it doesn't/wouldn't agree with my dyslexia anyway. The bloody F...
psling

Post by psling »

redefined_cycles wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 10:40 am Why can't they just seal farenheit and the rest of the imperial scales, and chuck em in the sea (keeping miles though obviously).
Would that be nautical miles or land miles Shaf...? :grin: :wink:
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
redefined_cycles

psling wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 2:02 pm
redefined_cycles wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 10:40 am Why can't they just seal farenheit and the rest of the imperial scales, and chuck em in the sea (keeping miles though obviously).
Would that be nautical miles or land miles Shaf...? :grin: :wink:
Nah, just land miles Peter... I tried some of them airplane simulation games and wanted to pull my hair out (except for Air Wolf on the Amstrad obviously)... For ref I have my Wahoo (not paid by em, but they're ace... on the v2 ROAM now :grin: customer service ain't like Alpshit either as they'd sent me a 40% discount code for a worn unit that wasn't my original purchase - I digress l, sorry) set up as metres for elevation but miles for (land) distance.

Fahrenheit... glad everyone elses hates it as much as me!