Budget Baselayers

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

dlovett

Budget Baselayers

Post by dlovett »

After recommendations for a full sleeve baselayer to be worn when running and cycling. I have a decathlon one that is polyester and it works well but I find it a bit warm unless it’s very cold. Ideally at the £25 or less end of the market as I want to get a couple of them.

TIA
PeterC

Re: Budget Baselayers

Post by PeterC »

Since you mentioned Decathlon!
I have two merino baselayers from their Forclaz (trekking) range. Longsleeve v neck and a short sleeve crew neck. Very comfy and not too warm. About 25 and 20 GBP respectively iirc. At the moment here they both seem to be reduced a bit, may not be case in UK of course.
P
RIP

Post by RIP »

Plenty of bamboo fans on Here, including me. Got loads, tops and leggings (and pants, and socks) ((and balaclavas and glove liners)) (((and.... etc etc))). Wear for days on end and no pong, good moisture transport, no itching at all, cool but warm (yes really :wink:)...

"bamboo base long sleeve":

https://www.google.com/search?q=bambo ... Q_25:0

Ten quid there at Mountain Warehouse - you could have three for your budget. Wear all of 'em at the same time in winter like I do!
Last edited by RIP on Sun Feb 05, 2023 12:34 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

RIP wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 12:03 pm Plenty of bamboo fans on Here, including me. Got loads, tops and leggings (and pants, and socks) ((and balaclavas and glove liners)) (((and.... etc etc))). Wear for days on end and no pong, good moisture transport, cool but warm (yes really :wink:)...

"bamboo base long sleeve"

https://www.google.com/search?q=bambo ... Q_25:0

Ten quid there at Mountain Warehouse - you could have three for your budget. Wear all of 'em at the same time in winter!
But can Pandas eat them? I feel that you'd be the man in-the-know :lol:
RIP

Post by RIP »

Good point, I forgot to mention that. Another benefit, when worn out take 'em to the zoo for the pandas to recycle into panda poo!
Last edited by RIP on Sun Feb 05, 2023 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

RIP

Post by RIP »

About the only bamboo clothing I don't have is shoes. Just had a look and these are close - wool ones! Carbon negative etc etc....

https://www.allbirds.co.uk/products/me ... -11

Bamboo and sugar-cane shoes! https://www.forbes.com/sites/joseph ... 1062e90

Sorry, back to the tops.....

Shewie

Post by Shewie »

The Higher State stuff from sportsshoes is okay for the money, I've got several of their poly tops for hiking in warmer weather, the rest of the time I use merino layers.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Shewie wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 1:20 pm The Higher State stuff from sportsshoes is okay for the money, I've got several of their poly tops for hiking in warmer weather, the rest of the time I use merino layers.
But which merino base layers are affordable these days. My Embers Merino has finally given up (ripped down the arm from wear/tear) and generally shoddy now. But can't afford to go look and buy the more expensive stuff as it doesn't seem to be on sale much!...
ton

Post by ton »

Shewie

Post by Shewie »

redefined_cycles wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 1:37 pm
Shewie wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 1:20 pm The Higher State stuff from sportsshoes is okay for the money, I've got several of their poly tops for hiking in warmer weather, the rest of the time I use merino layers.
But which merino base layers are affordable these days. My Embers Merino has finally given up (ripped down the arm from wear/tear) and generally shoddy now. But can't afford to go look and buy the more expensive stuff as it doesn't seem to be on sale much!...
It's not cheap but a good investment IMHO,

There's usually some good deals on SP for isobaa and super natural
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

I've got one of these https://www.sportpursuit.com/catalog/pr ... /id/964058 5 years ago that I use for winter/autumn running and the occasional cycle - normally underneath a rain jacket or a bearbones bamboo top depending on likelihood of rain. It's slightly over budget but it seems to be lasting well - its been used once or twice a week for the last 3 winters and sporadically for the rest of the year.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Shewie wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 1:55 pm
redefined_cycles wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 1:37 pm
It's not cheap but a good investment IMHO,

There's usually some good deals on SP for isobaa and super natural
Whats not cheap but good please Rich... You means, Isobaa or Super Natural pff SP
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

As usual, some excellent tips many thanks.

I have ordered a couple of the Mountain Warehouse ones as they have a branch close to my parents for free postage and returns. Also my fav t-shirt of all time is my bamboo barebones one, so more bamboo would be great. The PlanetX and Higher State look great value too and are a back up incase the MW ones don't fit well.

Thanks again for all the great suggestions.