Fast 29er Tyres

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

dlovett

Fast 29er Tyres

Post by dlovett »

Looking for suggestions on a Fast and light 29er tyre round the 2.1-2.35 size. To be used for ITT's so fast and low rolling resistance on the roads and able to handle most other terrain. I know that along with low cost is the holy grail...

After having used WTB Byways in a 650 and been amazed at how grippy and capable they are for a tyre with no aparent grips on them, I was thinking about the Schwalbe G-One series. Last time I rode a itt the fast kids were on them on their cut throats I recall. I've alway found Schwalbes to be great in 26"

Looking at the chart I was thinking about the G-One Allround in 29x2.25 evo. as the r and rs aren't 29.

Any other suggestions welcomed?
slarge

Re: Fast 29er Tyres

Post by slarge »

The go to tyres are either Vittorio Mezcals or Maxxis Ikons in my book. Both excellent
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I found the G-One to be far slower than I imagined it would be. Race Kings were always a favourite but almost impossible to seal tubeless and no longer made ... I'll shut up.
May the bridges you burn light your way
substandard

Post by substandard »

Used vittoria terreno 29x2.1 to good effect on last years cotswolds200, was first back, basically a slick.

Bontrager xr2 or mezcal are my go to when a little more grip is required.
ton

Post by ton »

specialized ground control 2.35. seriously light, and fast when tubeless.
riderdown

Post by riderdown »

My mezcals did well last year's BB200
Mark E

Post by Mark E »

Ikons or Racing Ralphs get my vote.
Al

Post by Al »

Maxxis ardent race 2.2s roll nicely and still have a bit of cornering grip compared to an ikon on the front which is constantly trying to kill you if it sees wet grass.
yourguitarhero

Post by yourguitarhero »

I like Vittoria tyres.

I have Terreno Dry 2.1"s on my rigid 29er. Great tyres, tough, light, fast and easy tubeless.
They're my summer ones.

Swap over to a Vittoria Peyote on the rear and a Gato on the front if it's not going to be too dry. The Gato is interesting, a wet weather XC tyre: https://www.pinkbike.com/news/vittoria- ... -2017.html
A bit more "Great Britain" than "Utah"
jameso

Post by jameso »

After having used WTB Byways in a 650 and been amazed at how grippy and capable they are for a tyre with no aparent grips on them
If you're happy on a Byway (I am) you'll love the Terreno Dry 2.25 (I do). Proper fast tyres on and off-road, as long as you're not on wet grass or anything steep and loose they're good. The compound has more grip overall than a Byway also. Happy on them in Wales last year for a week-long 50-50 terrain trip.

I used to use Nanos and Geax Saguros as fast XC tyres and the Mezcal is the current equivalent. They all buzz a little on tarmac though and that bugs me if I'm going to be on road for a reasonable time.

G-One Allround lacks a real cornering edge, that always bothers me on an MTB tyre. If you're caught out in the wet there's no directional control/bias when they slide.
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

Thanks guys some great suggestions there for me to look into.

Cheers.
Kuman

Post by Kuman »

Maybe Gravel King SK Plus 700x50mm ? They will roll super fast on everything, probably not ideal for mud.
I have just put Pirelli Cinturato Gravel M 700x45mm on 29mm internal rims and they come up 2inches wide (this is to go on Stooge Rambler that I'm building).
Instagram (mainly bike stuff) https://www.instagram.com/dizzy_cyclist/
flyingpig

Post by flyingpig »

riderdown wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:47 pm My mezcals did well last year's BB200
Mine too
phy7tes

Post by phy7tes »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:29 pm Race Kings were always a favourite but almost impossible to seal tubeless and no longer made ... I'll shut up.
I bought a set of 2.2 inch race king protections last year. No probs with tubeless and very fast. No punctures yet either. Bit sketchy as a front tyre if loose/muddy but I just adjust my riding to suit.
substandard

Post by substandard »

Set a new fastest known time (fkt) for the kemble round on 29x3.0” bonty xr2 yesterday. But fat tyres are slow… right?

The thawed mud had me on my arse a couple of times though, really sticky stuff in places