MCL Recovery Advice

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

dlovett

MCL Recovery Advice

Post by dlovett »

Anybody here a quack or patient that has damaged a mcl? I slipped and my foot twisted whil my leg stayed straight and local hospital has confirmed through X-ray and inspection that I have a serious sprain of my mcl. Thankfully it’s not a tear or anything worse. They offered some advice to gently use it, but no other treatment.

I have been told to lag if the ibroprphen till day five to give it time to settle and in the mean time it’s just use, Ice rest.

14 days in I can try very light exercise bike if it’s going ok.

I bought a proper knee brace to protect from sideways movement but they recommend against that and we’re keen I move it more.

Very frustrating as my latest 5k estimate was under 26mins and I was looking to see if I could make it this week.

Any suggestions for recovery tips greatly welcomed.

TIA

D
Bearlegged

Re: MCL Recovery Advice

Post by Bearlegged »

I did something very similar, and got a list of exercises from the physio at my GP. Happy to forward them to you if you want to drop me a line with your email address.

(IANATrainedMedicalProfessional)
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

Bearlegged wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 2:24 pm I did something very similar, and got a list of exercises from the physio at my GP. Happy to forward them to you if you want to drop me a line with your email address.

(IANATrainedMedicalProfessional)
Pm incoming many thanks!
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

Six days in and Its slowly starting to get better. I can actually move it slightly in sideways directions, but any kind of twisting is horrific. Normal forward/backward walking motion is now about 50% I'd say. The swelling has partially gone down and I can drive ok now, but getting in and out of the car is still painful, but better than a long walk to the station. Work has got me into a sitting job for a bit rather then a standing one so that helps a bit, but the whole thing is so frustrating as I really want to be running and riding not sitting/lying about stretching it.
Shewie

Post by Shewie »

I had access to some online exercises after I buggered mine up a few years ago, I'll see if I can find them and I'll PM you the link if it's still live
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

Shewie wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:43 pm I had access to some online exercises after I buggered mine up a few years ago, I'll see if I can find them and I'll PM you the link if it's still live
that would be great ta. I've been doing some from Chris's sheet, hopefully yours will be different so I can mix them all up a bit.
Shewie

Post by Shewie »

Pm incoming
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

Wife done hers 2.5 years ago, she said don’t cut corners with what the physio says. She’s riding and skiing again but does have a custom brace for the skiing.
Was about 4 weeks before she got rid of crutches.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

I'd go to a physio and get it checked and make sure you got specific exercises etc for your injury.

Each to their own :wink:
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

Sadly it's NHS and the hospital advise seeing a physio but also warned the waiting time will be longer than the recovery time.

I've spent two hours this afternoon bending it and it's definitely improving. With these kindly supplied sheets I'll pop into the gym tomorrow and try them out on the mats etc.

Hopefully next Sunday ish I might be able to try a light indoor cycle on there machines.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

dlovett wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:26 pm Sadly it's NHS and the hospital advise seeing a physio but also warned the waiting time will be longer than the recovery time.
Just go to a private one?
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

First day back in the gym, on the bike I could go from 12-9 crank position wise but through from 9-12 was painful so I won’t push it yet. Dining some stretching with the rowing machine.

https://youtube.com/shorts/ZZnDAWYrJMM?feature=share
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

The difference in range of movement.

https://youtube.com/shorts/6PghXeeXjCo?feature=share
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

Past 4 weeks now and Most of the time it's ok, just the odd bend can be very painful. Back to gym bike cycling now and lighter weights on my legs and so far so good. Tried running at the beginning of the week and after two pces it was still a big no. Tried again yesterday with a very gentle jog and I managed about 30m till I ran out of space where I was. It seemed ok ish, but I didn't want to push it as I think it's still a bit too soon. Hopefully early next week I can try going from fast walking to slow jogging.