Last bike/next bike

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

voodoo_simon

Last bike/next bike

Post by voodoo_simon »

Seems to be some talk around Specialized et al on a downward trend of sales etc*

So, when was you last purcahse and when will your next one be?

Last bikes
-Gravel bike in June ‘21 from the distributor
-Hardtail in Nov ‘19 from a LBS (admittedly I worked there at the time)
and then quite a break back to the previous bikes

Not looking at buying this year but would like a carbon fat bike in 27.5 flavour at some point to replace my ‘13 Mukluk.

*quick sweeping statement asi know this won’t be the case for everyone
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Last bike/next bike

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I recall my last purchase was my Mk1 Stooge frame - I say 'purchase' but Dee actually bought it me as a present. I'm sure it can't have been for my 40th but it was still a good while ago.

I think I've largely reached the point where I view a bike as a bike and realise that no matter what I have, I am the limiting factor and I will enjoy a ride just as much on one of my current bikes as I would sat on top of something new, shiny and expensive.
May the bridges you burn light your way
godivatrailrider

Post by godivatrailrider »

Last Bike Croix De Fer in 2016. It's just been revamped into a more Gravel W**ker guise.
Jones was 2011 iirc
Rooster no idea, 2014 maybe (when the Swift frame cracked )

No plans to buy a new bike, I'm content with what I have.
Last edited by godivatrailrider on Fri Jan 13, 2023 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

These threads don't help us compulsive bike buyers you know! :grin:
Surly steamroller at the end of 2021 for me. I only use it on dry days but it's a hoot - I don't need it but I don't care. It also looks good in my living room during the winter :mrgreen:
I've been contemplating a small SS trail thrasher brought on by jealousy of my mates DMR jump bike and another mates Ragley (hence my wanted add a few weeks ago) instead I rebuilt my old on one inbred with a chain tensioner. I'm still contemplating something along these lines (Karate Monkey or Instigator or lowside) but I've realised I can do a virtual bike build in my head which satisfies my addiction (a bit) without having to spend money...
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Alpkit broken road on cycle to work for my 50 th [first actually brand new bike since I was about 13
Next bike probably an ebike when I turn 65

If you are not shredding gnar and more downhill orientated i dont think "updates" change very much in terms of your riding
faustus

Post by faustus »

Not ever bought a new complete bike, always frame and build with what I have, and parts get upgraded along the way. Got a decent set of parts which haven't changed much and content with 10 speed with no plans to change. Currently slowly clearing excess parts and frames, BUT:

last big purchase: 2021 Unit X frame which i'm pretty happy with
Next big purchase: Increase in cycle 2 work value has tempted me, the only one I really want is the Fairlight Holt, which is coming as a complete build sometime this spring so they say. If that happens i'll be selling more stuff!

EDIT @Lazarus - i've also thought a lot about the broken road due to c2w at Sonder, have you liked it? Doesn't quite tick all my geo/spec boxes in the way the Holt does (don't need or want sliding dropouts or internal cable routing for instance).
firestarter

Post by firestarter »

Last 2017 ramin plus
Next probably never, but I do keep looking at richpips pipedream alice frameset lol
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Last 2017 ramin plus
I knew I'd forgotten one. Yes, last purchase Ramin plus but again, quite a few years ago.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Titus Goldrush from Planet X in late 2020.

No plans to buy another bike for the foreseeable. Happy with that as well :cool:
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Last bike, Specialized Crux which has become my go-to bike. Now I have the Cutthroat, Crux and Canyon Exceed I have no need for anything else.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

My last bike was a Pinnacle Arkose in 2018, a near perfect condition ex-display model from Evans. It was bought to replace my 2004 road bike since I wanted a bit more comfort on the local roads and cycle routes. The only flaw with it has been that the gearing is a bit too high for me, especially for loaded use.
My previous bike to that was a Giant Anthem in 2015 bought new online to replace a '99 hardtail that had to be left behind when I moved back to the UK - a lightweight XC full sus which I bought intending to use on the local trails but as my cycling habits changed has gradually morphed into my bikepacking bike. It's got limited room for frame bags and seatpack, its still not tubeless and its overkill for most bikepacking terrain so it's not the ideal bike but it does me.

I've been pondering my next bike since before covid hit but keep on kicking the can down the road since I can just make what I've got work. In an ideal world to fill in the gaps in capability, I'd replace my now superfluous commuter bike with a steel hardtail for bikepacking / touring that can double up for kid towing on a tag a long. The commuter has only been kept because it's got all the paraphernalia for the trailer that they've now outgrown.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

ve also thought a lot about the broken road due to c2w at Sonder, have you liked it? Doesn't quite tick all my geo/spec boxes in the way the Holt does (don't need or want sliding dropouts or internal cable routing for instance).
Mine is external cable so internal must be a new thing
Do use the sliding dropouts as i use 650b+, 29+ [3 " dropouts as far back as they go]and SS it so very handy

Its just a fine bike, decent geometry and comfy and I use it too pedal all through winter and spend all day on it in summer. Used it with a rigid fork, a lauf and a suspension fork and its great in any set up
I reckon its an incredibly adaptable frame and would even do as a monster cross
As an out and out hardtail its probably not the most aggressive you could ever get but I would recommend it
If you are ever in the north west England area you can have a go if you want
ton

Post by ton »

last bike was bought april last year. a specialized rockhopper. bought to fit a child seat, which child no longer fitted so now not needed.

previously bought a Ti fargo in december 2020 which will hopefully see me until i can no longer ride.

no plans at all to buy another bike.
yourguitarhero

Post by yourguitarhero »

Last bike was a Tern folding bike I got for £50 on FB marketplace a couple of weeks ago. It's to go in the back of my campervan.

Nice wee bike.

Before that it was a full sus ebike. That was about 3 years. I say bought, but in a quite convoluted way it was free.
slarge

Post by slarge »

A 2018 Spesh Epic, 2nd hand but from the bike shop owner... Next bike will be a nice road bike as my existing bike is a 2012 Ribble with 40k miles on. I'd love an SWorks Tarmac but I want it to look super special and their current paint is not what I want. Thinking of custom but then I'm all out of shape as I want a frame warranty that justifies the price tag.
1st world problems and all that
Chrisps

Post by Chrisps »

Last I bought was a Kona Libre in 2020... Hardly ridden it because I just don't get on with skinny tyres and drop bars, so going to sell that.

Previous was a custom Sonder Broken Road frame in 2018, which I love and is used for 90% of my riding

2016 Kona Hei Hei full sus (130/100mm 29er) which I don't ride much, but it's really nice for a fast trail bike

2014 Banshee Rune V2 (160/150mm 650b) which only sees the light of day when I go to the alps or "big" tail centres
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

Last bike a Cannondale Topstone 2018. My other bike is a 2012 Charge Cooker 3.

No plans for any other bikes in mind.

I do keep thinking about a recumbent due to wrist issues, but it's just too much £££. Ideally it'd be a e-recumbent with knee and heart issues too, but that's even more £££.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Current/last bike is the Pinnacle Ramin 3+ which is what gives me the fun (off road) riding. On the road it's a steel frames IndyFab which is lovely (or, Fab) and was my dream bike for a good while. It's a Crown Jewel and I'm unsure what could top it...

Got the Giant road bike sat waiting patiently to be finished and ridden. But it's carbon and a road bike and I suppose I just cantbe bothered getting it sorted for the road!!

Next bike (other than the Giant when it's finally seeing some tarmac... TCR I think it is) is the Santa Cruz Highball which is sat in the loft, again waiting to be built. It's one of only 2 bikes/frames I've ever bought new but it's been waiting patiently to be prepped and ridden for (well, since the middle of Covid).

Which leads me to think/believe that all this, 'next bike, new bike, dream bike' is all a bit pants. So I'm gonna keep reminding myself about what Kieth Bonty once said... About how the best bike for you is the one you currently ride :grin:
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Oh... in answer to the other Q Simon... my last purchases were the Highball in the middle of Covid and then the GIANT was towards the end (cos I just couldn't resist from a mate that was selling it 'like new' for dirt cheap!).
kvragu

Post by kvragu »

I keep to my formula of two-plus-one bikes: one audax, one off-road, and a ratty fixie. The kona unit is the only 'named' bike I have, audax needs a frame transplant, fixie is always in some rotation. One day, I would love either a fairlight faran/croix de fer/spa elan type, or a more dedicated rando bike, but can't see it in the budget anytime soon. IGH is also interesting, but again, budget.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:27 am I will enjoy a ride just as much on one of my current bikes as I would sat on top of something new, shiny and expensive.
That's about the size of it. On last weekend's WE at no point did I even think about the bike. It went up and down and round corners and had some bags lashed to it. However the stories it became part of very much did make me think. So, for me, a thread title of "last story, next story" is more of an attention grabber :smile: . Anyway, there's way too much choice of bikes these days and I can't be bothered with all that. Stick me on a bike and I'll find somewhere to ride it and something interesting will happen no matter what bike it is. Sorry, as you were :smile: . Bike? Oh, er 2007 P7 I think.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

ti Stooge 2018 now being mothballed or just parked up and left.

Trying to justify a flat bar gravel ebike from Crow Cycles.
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
jay91

Post by jay91 »

2nd hand Stanton Sherpa frame in 2020. It dose everything thing I want it to.
Trying to ride bikes.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Last *full* bike was the Croix de Fer in 2016 but I bought a Singular Puffin as a rolling frame later that year and a Spearfish frame in 2018. *Next* bike will be the gravel w*nkerised CdF.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

Its going to take something catastrophic for me to need to replace my ECR because I can't see me ever wanting to replace it. And my road bike gets so little use these days its going to take several lifetimes to wear it out at the current rate. I pray the Supreme Being summons me before I ever need an e-bike.