Modifying Drybags

Make your own gear? Talk about it here!

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Alec

Modifying Drybags

Post by Alec »

I want to add some webbing loops to a couple of cheap hard wearing drybags (lomo ones) so I can use them with my aeroe rack so. The loops need to be there for the straps to go through so the bag doesn't migrate sideways ways. I don't want to sew them on as I want the bags to stay dry. Would fabric glue work? Any other ideas?
I don't want to pay for the aeroe ones either as I need 4-5 of them.
Lazarus

Re: Modifying Drybags

Post by Lazarus »

the alpkit front bags line up with the front mount of the aeroe* - is the rear the same ?

* happy to send some pics if you want a look at it

Looks like they only do them in 20 litre now though :shock:

https://alpkit.com/products/airlok-xtra-dual-20-litre
Alec

Post by Alec »

Yes they do line up, but sadly the 20l bags are too big in diameter. I was tempted for the lomo as they only open at one end and are 7.50 each
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

Alec wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 10:50 am I want to add some webbing loops to a couple of cheap hard wearing drybags (lomo ones) so I can use them with my aeroe rack so. The loops need to be there for the straps to go through so the bag doesn't migrate sideways ways. I don't want to sew them on as I want the bags to stay dry. Would fabric glue work? Any other ideas?
https://www.millercare.co.uk/stayput-no ... wQQAvD_BwE

Buy a roll of this stuff (probably available cheaper elsewhere) then cut a rectangle big enough to sit between the rack and the bag. Cinch down the straps, and the job's jobbed.

Works a treat for handlebar harnesses, too (Wildcat lioness, for example)
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I'm following this thread as I've just acquired an Aeroe rack for my fatbike and am also considering drybags. The Aeroe ones are a bit expensive. I've both a 8L and a 13L Alpkit that seem a decent size and shape but they're currently out of stock (and my OCD would kick in if they didn't match :lol: ). Lomo was going to be my next port of call, though I've a couple of smaller bags on their way from SportPursuit at the moment too.
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

belugabob wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 7:33 pm
Alec wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 10:50 am I want to add some webbing loops to a couple of cheap hard wearing drybags (lomo ones) so I can use them with my aeroe rack so. The loops need to be there for the straps to go through so the bag doesn't migrate sideways ways. I don't want to sew them on as I want the bags to stay dry. Would fabric glue work? Any other ideas?
https://www.millercare.co.uk/stayput-no ... wQQAvD_BwE

Buy a roll of this stuff (probably available cheaper elsewhere) then cut a rectangle big enough to sit between the rack and the bag. Cinch down the straps, and the job's jobbed.

Works a treat for handlebar harnesses, too (Wildcat lioness, for example)
In fact, if you can give me the dimensions of the platform, on the aeroe, I'll see if I have an offcut to suit
Alec

Post by Alec »

Thanks for the offer, I think I've got some lying around in the workshop so I'll have a look this weekend and try that idea.
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

:-bd
Alec wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 6:26 pm Thanks for the offer, I think I've got some lying around in the workshop so I'll have a look this weekend and try that idea.
Alec

Post by Alec »

Just an update on this, seen lomo now do tpu drybags, so going to get some of thoes and add loops using some of the tpu and glue I got to repair a packraft.