Chester to Ludlow via Snowdonia.

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

godivatrailrider

Chester to Ludlow via Snowdonia.

Post by godivatrailrider »

I'm planning my Summer 'Avoid Wimbledon' trip
Last year I did Fishguard to Ludlow...
This year I fancy getting the train to Chester then collecting 9 BCQ checkpoints over 4 days.
Heading over the top of Wales to Abergele then mostly heading South via Bala, Wayfarers Monument, and wiggling back to Ludlow.
I may need some routing advice...
RIP

Re: Chester to Ludlow via Snowdonia.

Post by RIP »

godivatrailrider wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 12:22 pm heading South via Bala, Wayfarers Monument, and wiggling back to Ludlow.
I reckon you've covered it there, no advice needed :smile: . Just follow your nose with the bits in between :smile: .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
godivatrailrider

:grin:

Anyone know of reasonable spots around Bala ? Lake or town, I need to go to both ends.. so fairly flexible ... campsite or wild is ok.
ootini

Post by ootini »

Only ever used big, family campsites near Bala.
As per Facebook, I've sent you a message on FB messenger re the section from Flint to Dyserth.
godivatrailrider

ootini wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 3:23 pm Only ever used big, family campsites near Bala.
As per Facebook, I've sent you a message on FB messenger re the section from Flint to Dyserth.
Can't see a message anywhere...
ootini

Post by ootini »

PM'd you on here
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Anyone know of reasonable spots around Bala ? Lake or town, I need to go to both ends.. so fairly flexible ... campsite or wild is ok.
Ooh ooh ooh - SH 956328. Into the picnic area / car park and bear right into the trees ... some lovely spots beside the river.
May the bridges you burn light your way
godivatrailrider

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:55 pm
Ooh ooh ooh - SH 956328. Into the picnic area / car park and bear right into the trees ... some lovely spots beside the river.
I’m 99% sure we checked this out to camp in the Van… except there were already 2 vans there in full party mode … we left.
Do you mean going over the bridge and up the fire road a little? Like 50m. Seemed to be a bench or two iirc and then an old house further up the track 🤔
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Do you mean going over the bridge and up the fire road a little? Like 50m. Seemed to be a bench or two iirc and then an old house further up the track
I recall we went over the bridge, turned right then walked through the trees by the side of the river. We didn't have to go very far before we found some nice flat clearings amongst the trees. It is a few years ago, so maybe 'van-life' has caught up with the place although we were out of the way of the carpark where we were.
May the bridges you burn light your way
godivatrailrider

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 10:08 am
Do you mean going over the bridge and up the fire road a little? Like 50m. Seemed to be a bench or two iirc and then an old house further up the track
I recall we went over the bridge, turned right then walked through the trees by the side of the river. We didn't have to go very far before we found some nice flat clearings amongst the trees. It is a few years ago, so maybe 'van-life' has caught up with the place although we were out of the way of the carpark where we were.
Cheers Stu. It's certainly a good option :)
jameso

Post by jameso »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:55 pm
Seconded. Ridden past it a few times and noted how good it was. Only went higher up that road last year to get more of a sunset view.
Last edited by jameso on Thu Mar 23, 2023 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jameso

Post by jameso »

godivatrailrider wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 12:22 pm Heading over the top of Wales to Abergele then mostly heading South via Bala, Wayfarers Monument, and wiggling back to Ludlow.
I may need some routing advice...
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/40662243

I can vouch for this road / tracks mix ride, based on Stuart's BB520 and some of the Offa's Bike plus the Wayfarer's W to E. I edited some of the less successful bits and what I actually rode, this is the post-ride revised version.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/40815531 - this is the original inc the higher track just SE of Bala that I didn't take in the end. I took a flatter alt track to get to the E end of Vyrnwy which was a really good way to go.
godivatrailrider

Many thanks ... I'll compare to my current version of the route. I can see there's certainly some overlap already with a cursory look !
godivatrailrider

It's drawing close ... next week in fact .... and it's now morphed into something different, a circular from and to Chester. After Bala there was only a single BCQ point in Montgomery (which I've subsequently got) for me to collect so I've taken it over Wayfarers and down the Ceiriog valley, picking up 4 BCQ's on the way back to Chester. It means I'm no longer covering any familiar territory. Bonus.
godivatrailrider

This trip went well ! 183 miles and 13,000 including the Wayfarers pass over the Berwyns to the Ceriog Valley
Picked up 13 BCQ points along the way too
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

I am having a poor year on the BCQ’s, well done one your ride. I have only got 4 this year on all on one day before getting ill in the evening. But for the illness I would have got 3 more but even so I need to pull my socks up to get to at least 20 this year.
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

godivatrailrider wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 2:02 pm This trip went well ! 183 miles and 13,000 including the Wayfarers pass over the Berwyns to the Ceriog Valley
Nice, and home in time for the end of the tennis too :lol: :lol:
godivatrailrider

JohnClimber wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 12:25 pm
godivatrailrider wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 2:02 pm This trip went well ! 183 miles and 13,000 including the Wayfarers pass over the Berwyns to the Ceriog Valley
Nice, and home in time for the end of the tennis too :lol: :lol:
Lucky me!
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Interesting, never come across that before.

Sounds like a good way to ‘cobble’ a tour together :-bd
godivatrailrider

Sorry I missed the Question... didn't seem much interest in the thread so I forgot to look.
It's all free, 6 points in every county, there will be a question at a POI, get the answer, photograph the bike at the POI.
I gives me a goal, like WRT, to ride somewhere I wouldn't normally go. Keeps me entertained anyway.