Bivvy a month 2023.

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Stinginglip

Re: Bivvy a month 2023.

Post by Stinginglip »

Cheers Phil for the year's final review. Happy with making the last 15, wasn't easy but definitely enjoyable. Thanks for all the inspirational reports from everyone who had a crack this year.
I now can't go anywhere without scoping potential bivvy spots and hopefully that will lead me into being more daring for 2024 :-bd
Verena

Post by Verena »

Stinginglip wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 8:45 pm
I now can't go anywhere without scoping potential bivvy spots and hopefully that will lead me into being more daring for 2024 :-bd
Same here Martin :lol: , I always have a mental list way longer than there are months....

Challenge is to think carefully about who you're with at the time, before saying out loud "that would make an excellent bivvy spot that" :cool:
RIP

Post by RIP »

Verena wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 11:00 am
Same here Martin :lol: , I always have a mental list way longer than there are months....

Challenge is to think carefully about who you're with at the time, before saying out loud "that would make an excellent bivvy spot that" :cool:
Aye you've now completed the SpotRadar(RegTM) installation procedure and it will run continously in the background :grin:
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
gecko76

Post by gecko76 »

It's remarkable, isn't it. 'Yep, I could totally sleep there' when viewing a car park, bush, cairn, bridge, bus shelter, uprooted tree, abandoned portakabin etc. It's like narcoleptic parkour.
RIP

Post by RIP »

gecko76 wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 12:48 pm narcoleptic parkour
Ooh that's a good one. Not to be confused with necrophiliac parkour though :???: .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
gecko76

Post by gecko76 »

:o :YMSICK:
Stinginglip

Post by Stinginglip »

RIP wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 1:50 pm
gecko76 wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 12:48 pm narcoleptic parkour
Ooh that's a good one. Not to be confused with necrophiliac parkour though :???: .
I'll need to look that one up Reg :lol:
Stinginglip

Post by Stinginglip »

RIP wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 11:33 am
Verena wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 11:00 am

Aye you've now completed the SpotRadar(RegTM) installation procedure and it will run continously in the background :grin:
I've slipped up and mentioned spots whilst walking with the missus..the look she gave me is all I needed to keep my mouth shut from now on :lol:
Last edited by Stinginglip on Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
NeilA

Post by NeilA »

Thank you Phil for a cracking register of 2023 BAM finishers and the coveted awards ceremony.
The perfect end to a long year.
Love it :X
Sponsored by Alpkit
Top buyer from Joe's shop, Weirdos on Bikes
JoseMcTavish

Post by JoseMcTavish »

Sorry folks, I'm very late to the game but thought I'd add myself to the list! :grin:
It was a mad year, with very little free time to even browse the forums but I did manage some big rides and a whole set of BAMs at least. I only managed to get up to March posted initially so here's my catch up:

April

Took part in TransEngland (Very tough!) which was a through the night job without stops, so got my bivy later on with a local ride out to Durris Forest to see if I could get a nice sunrise view before riding in to work.

First tarpless bivy of the year

The view obliged nicely

Enjoyed the sunshine before dropping into the mist along Deeside

May

Wanted to go a bit further again, so headed out past Banchory and kipped in the forest next to the back road past Knockburn Loch before a pleasant road ride into work again.

That time of year when it never gets properly dark

Dry and quiet on the way back to town

June

Had TransScotland at the start of the month, but managed to do it right the way through, so no overnight bivy (4th fastest!). I had also finally finished the build of the Titus Silk Road I got on sale the previous year, so decided to give it its inaugural BAM ride right at the end of the month. I headed for the wind farm in Fetteresso Forest, but the weather was getting wetter the higher I got, so I went up and over before dropping into thick forestry to get some weather protection for the night.

Deep in the trees with a casually slung tarp

Morning turned out nice at least

July

On holiday in Nethy Bridge with very patchy weather, but managed to get out on the one dry night and found myself a cosy little hut in the the hills, which was more tempting than my planned summit bivy. Even enjoyed the increasingly soggy ride back to the cottage through some of my favourite bits of Abernethy.

Beautiful evening out past Dorback

Plush accommodation

August

Another down to the wire BAM, riding up to the wind farm at Meikle Carewe to try and get that sunrise hit I craved before rolling in to work again.

Back on the ground for this one

The sunrise obliged nicely

September

At the last minute I got myself signed up for Scotduro, which is a ride down the Badger Divide with timed segments that you can race on and add up at the end. I joined my mate Jon, who was keen to have a friend along, with the format meaning we could ride together for most of the time and just split up over the segments at our own pace. Our bivy spot was the shelter on Corrour Station to keep out of the wind - we were also sadly too late to get dinner at the Station House, which was the low point! It was a very tough ride, but I ended up 2nd fastest overall, which attribute solely to my choice of doing it on the Silk Road rather than a gravel bike.

The now and future fastest time I will ever ride up the Corrieyairack Pass - evil segment choice!

Halfway point accommodation - photo doesn't convey the incredibly loud noise emanating from the information board inside

Some lovely views further south in areas I don't normally ride

October

Atrocious weather and no free time resulted in a very close to home bivy in Countesswells Forest

Soggy forest

November

Very late 11pm start on the last night of the month to get an even closer to home BAM at the far end of the local park at -6, which was a great chance to test out my birthday gift underquilt. Cosy as anything, so the quilt is a winner!

Tucked up cosy in the trees

Nice chilly sunrise coming, but had to head back for work

December

Managed to get out post-Christmas, the night after a storm blew over a 30m tree at the end of our garden - if it had been blowing the other way, I might not be typing this. Got the mudguards fitted to the road bike and picked a forestry spot at random after riding for an hour.

Precautionary tarp for the odd rain flurry

Easy ride home on wet roads

So that was the calendar year completed for my 4th full set of BAMs. I'll be back this year and hope to get better at posting again!
gecko76

Post by gecko76 »

Great stuff, and great pictures.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Well done Jose, last minute posting of bivvy pics prize as usual for you :grin:
Will we see you in '24?
JoseMcTavish

Post by JoseMcTavish »

Cheers, yep - I hope to post with a little more consistency this year!