Bivvy a month 2023.

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Raggedstone

Re: Bivvy a month 2023.

Post by Raggedstone »

December was done on the Saturday night of the winter bivvy weekend .
An unexpected period of around 18 hours without rain was forecasted and it being the winter bivvy weekend got me motivated unfortunately my playmates on last year's SWWB were otherwise engaged with various cake related activities . It was very windy so I wasn't sure which way to go I found a door I hadn't been through before
[qurl=https://www.flickr.com/gp/157463993@N07/81757DQgm2]Image[/url]PXL_20231209_222856000 by Kevin Hawker, on Flickr
Magically the wind had stopped so I had a nice ride around the hills to reach a quarry that I had seen on a previous ride as it was on the eastern side of the ridge I thought I would be sheltered from the wind which was the case . I set up my bed and got in at 11 looked up and was greeted by one of those slow motion shooting stars obviously I now had to stay awake to see the next one it never came but the stars were ample compensation . The wind was howling all around which was the only thing I heard all night which was quite surprising as there is usually a lot of animal activity on the hills maybe it was because it was so windy .
ImagePXL_20231209_230008045 by Kevin Hawker, on Flickr
After I had packed a blackbird started singing so normality resumed .
ImagePXL_20231210_073044007 by Kevin Hawker, on Flickr
Coffee and snacks then time to head home . I met a couple walking their dog i said hello and they asked me if I had slept out we had one of those chance conversations that set you up nicely for the day . This was an incredibly brief and the only sight of the sun for the day 20 minutes after I got home my 18 hours were up and the rain returned .
ImagePXL_20231210_082515389 by Kevin Hawker, on Flickr
I had hoped to do all twelve months in the bivvy bag I managed ten and the only two I failed on were the Winter event and the WRT due to some proper Welsh weather :smile:
12 for the year and 60 consecutive months looking forward to doing it all again next year
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

https://www.instagram.com/p/C1E1dz0sD7T ... MzOWQ1OA==

I wasn't feeling great at the start of the month and went down with an occasional infection which took antibiotics to clear. We are going to Wales for a week on Friday so I had a small window to get out. I couldn't make my mind up from a number of options but in the end decided to do a ride along the WPL and Monsal Trail from Matlock and leave the trail near Monsal Head and head up to Litton which I had heard good reports of from Reg and Bearlegged.

I checked out the accommodation on the way and all looked good so I headed to Litton and had a meal. We had a meal before I left home so was expecting to have just snack but I was feeling hungry so had a proper meal, couldn't manage a dessert though, the STP will have to wait for another day.

It rained a little while I was being fed and as I was leaving but it soon stopped and I got back to a shed which although spacious had some stuff in that I moved to sleep. It was warm and dry though so I settled down to reading The Darkness Echoing by Gillian O'Brien. Dealing with death, famine etc it was a good read in a cemetery.

Didn't pack any Christmas decorations, hope I am not disqualified.

Yet again I couldn't sleep. It was windy outside but I was well away from the quiet road and comfortable, too warm if anything. Two short naps was all I managed.

I got up just after 7am packed and was away as it was getting light. A bit early in Bakewell for food so went to Matlock and had a lovely breakfast of eggs, tomato and hash brown on toast with coffee and caught the 1015 train back to Derby.

12/12 and run of 24 months.

Congratulations to all the other folks who have managed, or do so in the remaining time, to finish the year. It is not easy, a lot can go wrong.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Time is rolling on so get your December bivvies in folks, if you aren't done already!
Bonus points for going out xmas eve or xmas day and maximum bonus if you go out on Hogmanay - see the bells in from a ditch! (Point of order, you must be in your bivvy pre midnight to qualify for this years BAM, or get next years started early by getting your head down after the bells)
I'll hold off until the new year for the final tally...
KernowSteve

Post by KernowSteve »

December 12/12 done.
Wasn't really feeling up for a big trip out for this month to be honest, usual Winter cold and sniffles as well as a very lethargic feeling set of legs which is unusual for me. Anyway decided on a trip up the old railway line to some possible spots I've recced on my way through many times in the past.
Loaded up the mountain bike for a trip across the Ferry into England on a very windy and damp kind of night Image.
As the journey progressed and the wind got stronger I began to question the sanity of bivvying out in the woodland now covering the route of the old trackbed.In the days of steam it was all kept cut back to reduce the fire hazard but for the last 60 years or so has been allowed to grow into a lovely woodland trail popular with cyclists and runners. Most of this recent growth is on poor ground or steep cuttings were the railway was carved through the landscape. I decided on a spot under the overbridge at Shaugh Bridge Station. Back in the day this was used to link the railway with Shaugh Prior and various industries found on the Southern edge of the moor. As a bivvy spot its just about perfect, a nice flat smooth surface on the old platform and sheltered from falling trees/debris by the overbridge carrying a country lane across. Image.
A bar of chocolate, some Paracetamol and my hip flask soon got rid of my aches and pains and I settled down for what turned out to be a brilliant nights sleep! Not sure if it was the perfectly level surface, the Winter sleeping bag or maybe just the hip flask and Chocolate but I slept much better than I normally do in a bivvy bag
Woke up later than normal at around 0630 hrs to the sound of Pheasants from the local shoot making a racket. Sounded like the local Fox population were having a bit of a feast! Image.
Breakfast as normal and I was back on the bike by 0745 hrs still in darkness. Gradually got lighter as I made my way back down the trail until I happened across a small tree down across the trail, which vindicated my earlier decision to bivvy under some shelter!
Image.
Had a quick nose around some of the old railway buildings/structures in the daylight, incredible to think what a heavily industrialised area the Plym Valley once was.
Image.
Image.
Image.
Image.
Eventually got to the end/start of the line were there is a short section of preserved railway before it joins up with the current main line at Tavistock Junction.
Image.
Despite my lack of enthusiasm these past couple of weeks it turned out to be a good trip out in the end and a nice end to the year!
Plenty of trips planned for next year, not sure if I'm going to be out every month but hopefully will be.

Happy New Year to Bearboners everywhere!!
Stinginglip

Post by Stinginglip »

The winter bivvy weekend was my planned tap out from my first BaM,the weather had other ideas. Organised a Yorkshire Dales meet-up with a bothy stay in mind. Dates in December are tight family wise, and we both turned up with fire supplies and good intentions.
Never enjoyable setting off when lashing it down,we both probably felt like sacking it off but kept pedalling. Basically, it just got worse, and the wind was what finished us,definitely the strongest tailwind I've rode in... not good offroad/downhill in the dark :shock:
At just over 30 miles in,we came across an open pub. It looked very appealing. They had one double room available. That was that...BaM attempt over :lol:
So I've been putting it off hopefully for some cold dry weather... no chance in Sunny Bolton. Friday just gone was my last chance. Rough weather meant local. Ended up only 4 miles away up on Burnt Edge in the bivvy bag under some low pine trees. It was well sheltered, and the ground was pretty dry, considering all the recent rain. Did get some sleep, but I still prefer the tent, so I might not bother with the bag again.
The ride back was the longer way home but wet from the start. Overall, I still enjoyed it, which, in general, is how I've felt all year. Definitely got me out more..think I've done 14/15 nights since last December. Not decided on continuing the run into the New Year, but certainly not totally against it.
All the best for next year.. I'm signed up for power seekers thingy, so I will see some of you there :-bd
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

So I've been putting it off hopefully for some cold dry weather
Boxing day apparently but was driving to Hull.
It has indeed been grim. ocally and just had too do 360 miles in 15 days to get my annual mileage. Not at all fun with all that wind and rain and got blown off the mast road it was that strong on one ride. Stayed lower after that adventure.

I am.commiting to doing BAM again and must not leave it to last minute which has been my issue ( did about 19 this year but missed one month)
Stinginglip

Post by Stinginglip »

Lazarus wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 3:26 pm
So I've been putting it off hopefully for some cold dry weather
Boxing day apparently but was driving to Hull.
It has indeed been grim. ocally and just had too do 360 miles in 15 days to get my annual mileage. Not at all fun with all that wind and rain and got blown off the mast road it was that strong on one ride. Stayed lower after that adventure.

I am.commiting to doing BAM again and must not leave it to last minute which has been my issue ( did about 19 this year but missed one month)
Well done, John, for hitting the mileage target, especially in our fab local weather. We should try and do a bivvy next year..all the best & more happy trails :-bd
Verena

Post by Verena »

fatbikephil wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 2:58 pm Time is rolling on so get your December bivvies in folks, if you aren't done already!
Bonus points for going out xmas eve or xmas day and maximum bonus if you go out on Hogmanay - see the bells in from a ditch! (Point of order, you must be in your bivvy pre midnight to qualify for this years BAM, or get next years started early by getting your head down after the bells)
Anyone else left it till the very very last minute, like me???

I have hammock and a few motivating treats at the ready, it will be very local, but it will be done. Just about to get myself packed, then a bit of telly, then out and in bed well before midnight.

Happy New Year folks!
RIP

Post by RIP »

Top work Verena, last-minuters are always fun. Don't forget to be asleep by midnight though! :smile:
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
NeilA

Post by NeilA »

Verena wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 8:43 pm
fatbikephil wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 2:58 pm Time is rolling on so get your December bivvies in folks, if you aren't done already!
Anyone else left it till the very very last minute, like me??
I have hammock and a few motivating treats at the ready, it will be very local, but it will be done. Just about to get myself packed, then a bit of telly, then out and in bed well before midnight.
Yes me Verena, a late start, all to be explained should I complete the mission, found two likely local spots to bed in the New Year. Setting off once my guest leaves,
Sponsored by Alpkit
Top buyer from Joe's shop, Weirdos on Bikes
Verena

Post by Verena »

Tucked up and cosy in my hammock, fairy lights up, windy but dry, with a strong blonde Belgian for company ( come on, surely that's been done before?!? :lol: ), not to mention two fresh cream apple turnovers - what a way to see out what has been a very good year :-bd
NeilA

Post by NeilA »

Happy New Year BAM Dec made it, in bed, with owls and deer near, got me supplements, not a bad location here, pics tomorrow ❤️
Sponsored by Alpkit
RIP

Post by RIP »

Verena wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 11:33 pm a strong blonde Belgian for company....... not to mention two fresh cream apple turnovers

:lol:

You get to choose one or the other! What a decision... :smile:
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

NeilA

Post by NeilA »

BAM 31st December 12 of 12, 24 of 24

Post Apocalyptic Des Res in the woods

I knew this months bivvy would likely fall on the last day of the year, especially since a nasty cold had stuck with me for two weeks, including Christmas.
Many cycle days lost with 'WE' looming fast.
Thought I'd test my legs and cycle in search of some local spots I had theories on. Certainly no delusions of an epic trip.
I had visions of a night under a bridge over a disused railway, but found this was filled in.
Nevertheless a few spots caught my fancy with scope for investigation along the tracks.
Darkness loomed and homeward bound I espied a structure in a wood. Never before seen but logged as most suitable for a night out.

I'd received several calls while cycling, but failed to answer on the second occasion. Back home I returned the call to discover a good friend had suffered a harrowing domestic with her daughter. She needed some respite and asked to come over to mine to cook a meal. Now I am supporting my friend and helping to discuss her issues. I suggested she stay the night, with thoughts my BAM succession would end, and realising that helping others in need is probably the only occurrence to stop my BAM from going ahead. Fortunately she felt satisfied things were calm in her world and left for home quite late in the evening.

No time for me to connect all my bike bags, so out with the Osprey Escapist, a cycle specific 25 litre bag (may well have told you about this baby before :wink:) and filled with minimal kit and essential supplements. Left home at 2313 and arrived 20 mins later after stealthily searching for a structure which seemingly had disappeared from the face of the earth :shock: . A quick set up, my platter of delights readied, settled in my sleep bag and messaged the forum in time to beat the midnight hour. It only really dawned on me with 5 mins to go that messages take an eternity to arrive at handover time but the forum showed my message as delivered (although looking today the time said 1258am :-O ) Let the party begin, on offer, Jamesons :d , Peanuts, Green and Blacks Organic Smooth Dark Mint Chocolate and Monty Bojangles Flutter Scotch Butterscotch and Sea Salt Cocoa Dusted Truffles :wink: Accompanied by numerous explosions, several owls and deer.

Sponsored by Alpkit
RIP

Post by RIP »

What a top quality residence there Neil :smile: . I'm particularly impressed by the Hanging Roof Of Death, which presumably added a nice little frisson of fear to the proceedings...

A very professional Last Minuter too :-bd

NeilA

Post by NeilA »

RIP wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 4:41 pm What a top quality residence there Neil :smile: . I'm particularly impressed by the Hanging Roof Of Death, which presumably added a nice little frisson of fear to the proceedings...

:lol: :shock: brilliant stuff Reg :-bd :))
Glad you liking chez nous Reg, been seeking a property which sort of hit the Forum perspective :wink:
Funny you should say about the roof, there was an annoying drip coming from a sodden bulge. Of Chinese water torture proportions!
Fortunately not hovering above my beautifully dry bedding section.
My immediate feeling was to pierce said bulge, found a plastic rod on the floor and attacked it, albeit gently. Then I foresaw a deluge falling to the floor and Tsunami ing my bedding nearby.
So instead found a piece of wall on the floor, laid it an angle to deflect the drip. Job sorted.

I only have to look at dates of my previous BAM's to see how often I last day, but last minute is a new one for me :-)
Sponsored by Alpkit
NeilA

Post by NeilA »

NeilA wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 5:30 pm
RIP wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 4:41 pm What a top quality residence there Neil :smile: . I'm particularly impressed by the Hanging Roof Of Death, which presumably added a nice little frisson of fear to the proceedings...

:lol: :shock: brilliant stuff Reg :-bd :))
Glad you liking chez nous Reg, been seeking a property which sort of hit the Forum perspective :wink:
Funny you should say about the roof, there was an annoying drip coming from a sodden bulge. Of Chinese water torture proportions!
Fortunately not hovering above my beautifully dry bedding section.
My immediate feeling was to pierce said bulge, using a plastic rod lain on the floor I attempted to pierce it, albeit gently. Then I foresaw a deluge falling to the floor and Tsunami ing my bedding nearby.
So instead found a piece of wall on the floor, laid it an angle to deflect the drip. Job sorted.

I only have to look at dates of my previous BAM's to see how often I last day, but last minute is a new one for me :-)
Sponsored by Alpkit
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

12/12!

My second full year & only a couple of months missed in 4 years..

Finished the year off with a night at Mosedale cottage in the Lakes, was a last min decision after the original plan fell-through due to illness..
Was a wet slog in, but a good couple of groups inside.

Due to various commitments i'm not sure if i'm going to continue on through '24, will just see how things go..
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
josh

Post by josh »

23:59 was, without exaggeration, the time I ended up shimmying into my bivvy bag on New Year’s Eve.

It wasn’t meant to be this way, but a serious case of procrastination, followed by an even more serious, and nearly fatal, case of dithering led to me cutting things very close.

I had originally planned to go out on the second weekend of the month – wanting to go out between Christmas and New Year, but being pragmatic about making time (and summoning the motivation) to do so. This got pushed back a couple of times, eventually settling on the 30th. However, this was the day when for a variety of reasons, my case of extreme dithering and overthinking led to me proclaiming that it wasn’t worth going if it was bothering me this much, which led to a bit of a sulk.

As it was, there was a yellow warning for wind, which did in fact materialise and being a sensible person, would have made me cancel any plans I might have stuck to. That left just one more chance – New Year’s Eve.

So, after a nice refreshing walk on New Year’s Eve morning to try out a set of new poles, I came home and packed, ready to head out if the weather (the wind was still a bit iffy) and my head cooperated.

At about 23:30 I headed out, having ushered out some friends we’d had over to play games. I rode out to what has now become my ‘regular’ spot. Trying to avoid getting sprayed with too much crap I rode pretty slowly, but a glance at my watch made me speed up a little – I’d got too complacent thinking my bivvy spot was so close to home and might end up missing the midnight cut off!

With 5 minutes left, I arrived and unpacked my stuff. With a less than a minute to spare I was in my bivvy, watching the fireworks light up the cloudy sky.

In my haste to get set up my exact spot was far from level but, I’d done it! 12/12 BAMs.

I don’t plan to continue with BAM in 2024 – I’ve enjoyed the experience(s) and it’s been great motivation to get out more often, whatever the weather. The main reason I’m not planning to continue is that I want to do other things throughout the year and as much as I’d like to do them in addition to BAM, I’m not always able to and I’d only be setting myself up for failure to attempt both. I’ve written more about my experience(s) & thoughts on my blog in case anyone is interested.

I will keep reading the BAM 2024 stories and see what everyone gets up to this year and may return to it in the future.

Well done to everyone who went and slept in random places throughout the year, whether you made a full 12 months or not.
Verena

Post by Verena »

Oh wow, there's some good stories here of recent BAMs that I haven't managed to read yet... looks top stuff anyway :-bd

This is just a quick one, for evidence, and so as not to hold up the end of year proceedings...

Here's me, hammock in wood, which has since I last used it had the addition of a bit of shelter (which turned out to maybe have its own set of flaws.... lulled into a false sense of dryness I came unprepared...ended up with a rather wet hammock and sleeping bag, thinking maybe it winded itself in from the side, or possibly ran off the roof to the post which I had tied the hammock to and then run down the tape and into the hammock?? I did in fact decamp to the floor in the wee hours of the morning, to stay dry...

Anyway, here's me, in still dry hammock, as mentioned with fairy lights for a change, and treats in hand to celebrate the occasion.

ImageIMG_20231231_222228 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

Morning has broken, as had one of my eggs on the journey....

ImageIMG_20240101_074519 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

And a very pleasant little ride home, in what would turn out to be extremely short lived glorious sunshine, never to be seen again.... ever....

ImageIMG_20240101_085638 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

That's me chuffed to have completed two full years :grin:
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

That was a very good year! (well they all are really)
So as usual my final review and tally:-
I have the following as completing 2023 BAM -

Sean_iow
Verena
jimmy G
RIP
Blackhound
Frog
Bearlegged
Raggedstone
FBPhil
Josh
NeilA
Gecko76
Wotsits
Kernowsteve
Stinginglip

15 which is fairly typical for numbers for the full BAM.

The final quarter seems to have seen more than the usual number of bivvies in sheds, huts, howfs, tunnels, bridges or other salubrious spots so to kick off the awards I'll start with sheds:

Poshest shed - me in October (it's time I awarded myself an award) In fact two sheds as I used one on the BB and one on my official bivvy.
Grottiest shed - Neil A who actually got this in October then aced it in December :-bd - a fine example of how some horrible damp, scuzzie portacabin can seem palatial in the rain...
Extreme hutting award - KernowSteve hanging off the cliffs of Cornwall.
Grimmest, most desperate howf - Geckos tunnel
Largest shed - Reg and Muddypete in November
Best overall shed - Utsis as used by JimmyG
Cave dweller award - Raggestone
Best bridge - Verena
Your all wimps for sleeping in sheds award goes to, Bearlegged, Josh, Sean_iow, Stinginglip and Frogatthefarriers
Josh gets the last minute award for pitching up with seconds to spare!
Wotsits, Raggedstone and Stinginglip get the heroism award for grabbing a BAM on the BB200.
And Ok, Reg gets the award for the best bivvy extravaganza for his and Muddypetes Christmas bivvy!

That's all folks, don't forget BAM badges are available from our host for a small consideration. Hope to see you on the BAM 2024 thread :-bd
gecko76

Post by gecko76 »

I won a prize! Cheers Phil, and well done all.

RIP

Post by RIP »

Nice one Phil, ta for keeping tally :smile: .

Have enjoyed this year. Been some challenging family stuff, and it's been a big help to have a monthly outing to look forward to. Looking back, for me it was a pleasure riding with quite a number of different Boners in different bits of the country:

Jan - Frog, Kev and Muddy-Pete around Dinas Mawddwy, blagging a pub car park bivvy and a top quality breakfast.
Feb - Western Peak District with Kev and Frog, kipping in a wood/caravan/sheep-shed (on a 4' deep wool mattress!) and a graveyard (Most Macabre Spot Award?).
Mar - Daventry area kipping on Roobell7's narrowboat.
Apr - WRT solo, sleeping in a castle and an old office building.
May - local with M-P.
Jun - Ashover area with Kev Blackhound. Yet another graveyard (am into double figures now!)
Jul - local with M-P and a toy owl. Slept in a very dodgy corrugated iron barn.
Aug - kipped on Baron Rothschild's lawn with M-P.
Sep - Forest Of Dean with Verena, Kev, Peter. Slept in Cockshoot Wood (Rudest Spot Award?!), and some visitors centres. Also visited a coal mine.
Sep bonus ball - Lake District with Bob W kipping in a wood.
Oct/Nov/Dec - local woods including Festive Dinner.

97 consecutive. Ridiculously hare-brained but had some amazing adventures.

Thanks to all who put up with me riding with them, great little family we have here! Albeit with more than our fair share of eccentric Uncles and Aunts :smile: .

Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

Thanks for keeping the scores on the doors Phil & well done everyone! :-bd
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

I'll echo those sentiments Phil. Thanks for taking the trouble to sift through all of those reports throughout the year... oh, and for considering me worthy of Best Shed award! :-bd
One day, you’ll wake up and there won't be any more time to do the thing you always wanted to do. Do it now. – Paolo Coelho