new touring gears ???

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ton

new touring gears ???

Post by ton »

letting my rohloff set up go. finding it very hard to change gears with my fused wrist.
so i want a new set up for the fargo. reliability is foremost, and low gears.
what you using /

any idea's greatly appreciated.
Lazarus

Re: new touring gears ???

Post by Lazarus »

12 speed SRAM axs is about £400 new .
Never used but may suit you ?
due

Post by due »

For loaded touring I use any old 2x MTB kit, currently: XT 40/28 front, Deore 11-40 rear with an SLX mech (10 speed)

Shifting is from Dura Ace bar end friction shifters mounted on some thumb adapters from SJS

Reliable and low. That said I'd also have no qualms touring with Di2 if ease of shifting was a requirement
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

Could you change it to left hand operation? Or fit trigger shifters?
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

One of the electronic groupsets should see you good Tony. Most let you add secondary buttons so you aren't restricted to the standard positions. Other than the wireless SRAM options I doubt there's much between them, the main difference is where the batteries go.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
firestarter

Post by firestarter »

I've just fitted deore 11 to my 29er it was cheap for the bits cassette is 11-51 and oval 32t up front so nice and low but obviously that's a trigger shifter, have you tried a co motion shifter the one I had on the shand was much easier to twist than the standard shifter
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'm wondering in this case whether a good old mountain bike triple would be appropriate?

There we go, a nice Deore 10 speed triple: https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shi ... prod161603
May the bridges you burn light your way
javatime

Post by javatime »

Very cheap deals on Microsoft Advent 10 speed on Wiggle, huge cassette etc. Not sure if you can operate trigger shifters with your hand ?
ton

Post by ton »

i can operate rapidfire triggers with my thumbs no problem. it is the grip and twist i am struggling with.

think i am going to go 2x10. got a shopping list on crc which is mainly deore stuff. it has proven ok in the past.
seem all the microshift stuff but unsure of it longterm. (anyone use it ?).
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 5:26 pm I'm wondering in this case whether a good old mountain bike triple would be appropriate?

There we go, a nice Deore 10 speed triple: https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shi ... prod161603
It's been many years since I rode 3x or even 2x (except for a couple of test rides), but one of the aha moments was finding that with 1x I shifted less. Less in general, but also meaning less right hand shifting.
woodsmith wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 3:56 pm Could you change it to left hand operation? Or fit trigger shifters?
Ton, if you're still happy with the Rohloff (besides the grip shifter), the above would also be my suggestion.
If you're thinking of using a cassette, I can highly recommend the SRAM Eagle AXS stuff. Have a total of three bikes with it, all of them went through heat, freezing cold, water, muck, multi day trips of different sorts and ran reliably. Over the years I collected quite an amount of wrist injuries, causing pain in my thumb on long rides with lots of shifting from the many ups and downs, despite tricks like thinner, slicker cables etc. AXS completely solved this issue.