29+ tyre recommendations

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Swede

29+ tyre recommendations

Post by Swede »

I've no doubt this subject has probably been done to death! If it has please direct me to the thread, if not I'm in need of some replacements for my Chronicles... What have you tried and tested?
fatbikephil

Re: 29+ tyre recommendations

Post by fatbikephil »

Bonty XR2's for me and available most of the time. Lighter than Chronicles, pretty good for all round grip and nearly as robust sidewall wise.
Bonty XR4's for huge grip but a bit heavier than chronicles and somewhat heavy going on a hard surface.
Rangers have better grip than XR2's but weedier sidewalls and require fingers of steel to break them off the bead. Only occasionally available.
Surly Knards cost a bomb and have little tread between the crown and sidewalls so can be a bit iffy on dry gravely trails.

All of the above are full on 3". A few advertised as 29+ all come up short - Vee trax fatties, Vittoria bombolonis and Panaracer ones.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

IME all tyres come up small compared to what is claimed - my 2.8 [650b+]are all 2.6 and my 3" bombolini* are 2.8" [which is about the max my frame would take anyway] mine were under £50 for two [ebay]but did require a tube used first to get them tubeless but set up pretty easily
One ride on them so cannot really advise beyond that
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

I've settled on Chronicle front/XR2 rear for anything other than bone-dry gravel and tarmac. which would then be XR2 on both ends.

Guess I'm going to need something to replace the Chronicle longer-term. ☹
Mart

Post by Mart »

Bonty XR2s work well for me :-bd
2924 miles per Gallon
Swede

Post by Swede »

Thanks guys, my son has XR2's on his Trek and they seem to be pretty good. I think I might go for a mix as one of the Chronicles still has some life in it.
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Knards for me, I never got on with Cronicles up here in the North West of England