Waterproof Socks

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

petemaz

Waterproof Socks

Post by petemaz »

Hello all. I'm after some new waterproof socks, looking for any experiences or advice pls. In the past I've had sealskinz (didn't really rate them) and goretex socks (loved but foolishly sold on).

I'm looking at the following: Geckowear, Shower's Pass or Dexshell... Anyone recommend one over the others?

Thanks as always 🙂
voodoo_simon

Re: Waterproof Socks

Post by voodoo_simon »

Just been on a two hour ride with Dexshell (which is better than sealskins from experience), soaking wet feet by the end. Was raining, so the water soaked through my tights and into the socks! Even had waterproof boots on too, so the main weakness is the massive hole at the top!

I really use my dexshells in the between seasons when normal socks are too cold but it’s not cold enough for my winter (Bontrager OMW) boots and it works well for this (ie more at keeping the wind out rather than being waterproof)

In short - I think of waterproof socks as being windproof socks and then I’m not disappointed
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I was a bit underwhelmed by Dexshell - like sealskinz they sometimes stay waterproof for ages and sometimes they fail quite quickly but generally worse than sealskins.
Not washing and never putting on the radiator helps but my dexshell gloves failed straight away.....

Placcy bags seem to be a better value option....
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

My experience is also that they dont really work and I think they work best when its warm ish and you have summer shoes/non waterproof shoes/boots.

In winter, when its wet, you need serious overshoes/gaiters over serious waterproof boots and its still going to get in from the hole , eventually.
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

I use the Dexshell Wading Socks. They've been :-bd They're full knee-height so you look a bit of a bell wearing them but my pair are watertight and toasty warm.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I found Dexshell to be okay. Obviously the gaping hole in the top can be an issue but hey it's more of a design flaw of the human body I suppose. I've also found their thermal version produce a lovely micro-climate meaning that when water does get inside, your feet still remain pretty warm. :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

+1 for knee-length
My long Sealskinz have been great but finally succumbed to old age.
Got some new ones as a present recently - first ride in them yesterday and I had one soggy sock underneath. It was pretty aquatic, and I did have to dab in a puddle that was deeper than expected, but still a bit concerned they're not as good as the last pair.
Whatever you get, looking after them makes them last longer - wash in water only or pure soap, and don't wring them out.
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

Do these kind of socks require you to up one size on footwear?
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Shouldn't do. Both Dexshell and sealskins do different thicknesses. The one pair of dexshell I have which have lasted are very thin, with a bamboo liner. Also got some very thick ones and my knee length sealskins are medium thickness.
petemaz

Post by petemaz »

Thanks all for the replies 👍