2023 - Plans, rides and things to look forward to

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

slarge

2023 - Plans, rides and things to look forward to

Post by slarge »

Around this time every year we have a thread about things we want to do in the coming year, whether that's events, rides, targets, or just stuff.

So here goes for 2023:

-New Zealand (already booked) to see daughter. Lots of south island sightseeing and maybe a bike race...
- BB Winter Event - cos it's traditional. Might make it a road ride this year with some easy off road and use the CX bike.
- Solstice Sprint - 1000km in a weekend but it starts in Warwick about 10km from where I live so it would be rude not to....
- GB Duro
- a couple of Sportives - an excuse to use the old steel road bikes
- more MTB rides- my skills are in decline so a bit of refreshing is needed
- Italy holiday with the better half.
- Scotland holiday with the better half
- some more veloviewer squares - maybe 32x32
- keep my Pilates and circuit training going

Not sure what else.
What plans do you all have?
woodsmith

Re: 2023 - Plans, rides and things to look forward to

Post by woodsmith »

At the risk of jinking things I'm hoping to start over on my world tour that was aborted after only a couple of weeks due to covid. The route through central Asia is a wash-out at the moment so in late Feb I'm off to Morocco to ride the Atlas Mountain Race route from 2019 then the Route of Caravans from Bikepacking.com plus some other stuff of my own devizing to Fez or maybe even Tangier. Hop across the straights to Spain for the Altravesur and the Spanish Divide to Bilboa. Back home for a bit then fly to the States. BC Trail in Canada to GDMBR to the border, then Western Wildlands route, Baja Divide next winter and possibly further south after that.
Or some other unforseen f##k up in the world order will happen and I'll be stuck riding around the UK for another year...
Dyffers

Post by Dyffers »

Paris Brest Paris in August. Qualifier rides + extras January to June.
Dorset Divide with a couple of mates in July.
Trying to deconflict a 400km audax with the WRT weekend so I can bring my 10tr old on his first multidayer.
Get the Caterham up to Scotland in the summer.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

BB winter event - given the amount of rain at the moment I might hire a canoe! :lol:
NYM300 or whatever it's going to be called.
BB200
Probably some tour down south, maybe the Old Chalk Way or the rufty tufty variation of it.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
jameso

Post by jameso »

That sounds amazing Woodsmith.. A friend of mine has been riding RTW in sections in between stints earning in the UK, he just started out in Chile this time, headed south. We keep in touch weekly via whatsapp and I do question my life choices a little. Out of interest what's the general issue in the way of travel in central Asia these days?

2023 then.
I've had invites to join 2 rides that were partly inspired from the TNR so I'm going to make an effort to go along. Also want to do the Ride to the Sun Scotland summer solstice event, that looks fun. Social riding has been lacking in recent years and I miss it. I also lack motivation to make my own overseas travel plans these days. It's not a negative feeling, I'm happy that I've ridden enough other places to have got past the need to go a long way to be interested by riding, it's a good contented sort of feeling. It's more about the experience, spontaneity etc at the moment so I'm very happy with Wales and the SW to explore from my door these days. My old steel Jones will stay permanently kitted out and ready to go for road or off-road trips whenever the forecast and time make a trip look like a goer. More loaded miles, better fitness, that'd do me for '23.

I'd like to get back to big ride conditioning and get my back sorted for long road rides through the hills. I can't imagine doing the TINAT right now and that's a shame. It's running again this year and I'd like to ride it (with some sleep this time), or if not, the Bryan Chapman route solo in the way I loved to do 300/400s solo - get the urge mid week, set off early Sat am and just do it. Not too much planning, high chance of emotional challenge before getting back home : )
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

jameso wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 12:57 pm . Out of interest what's the general issue in the way of travel in central Asia these days?

Azerbaijan still hasn't opened its land border crossings post covid, Tajikistan and Kyrgystan have been having a bit of a border clash and the chances of a transit visa through Russia to get from Kazakhstan to Mongolia are zero I imagine. Plus many of those former Soviet republics are flooded with draft dodging Russians who might not view someone British that favourably.
Johnallan

Post by Johnallan »

Some inspirational stuff here :grin:

I've put my name forward for the Transcontinental Race and it's terrifying. Way more than I've ever committed to and it's currently occupying most of my (admittedly small) daily thought capacity. I can't process any more plan's until I find out if I've got a place. Until then, just riding bikes as normal :-bd
jameso

Post by jameso »

woodsmith wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 1:12 pm
jameso wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 12:57 pm . Out of interest what's the general issue in the way of travel in central Asia these days?

Azerbaijan still hasn't opened its land border crossings post covid, Tajikistan and Kyrgystan have been having a bit of a border clash and the chances of a transit visa through Russia to get from Kazakhstan to Mongolia are zero I imagine. Plus many of those former Soviet republics are flooded with draft dodging Russians who might not view someone British that favourably.
Does sound challenging and hadn't considered the point about the Russians you may meet.
yourguitarhero

Post by yourguitarhero »

Doing the Trossachs loop over a long weekend in April with some pals.

Other than that I'm quitting work at the end of April so will probably just get on the bike and start riding
FLV

Post by FLV »

Always enjoy these threads, I often follow suit with planning lots of fun things. Quite often tho I don’t follow through with some.

So, for 2023 my goal is actually to relieve some of the stress and pressure from my daily life.

I’ll be staying off strava, won’t be pressuring myself to ride 5,6,7 days a week.
I will ride when I fancy it, rather than when I think I should.
Selling / gifting as much of my stuff as possible and only keeping what I actually need.
Pursuing a couple of different, non cycling hobbies that have been on the back seat for for too long.

A different period for me, will see how it feels I guess.
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

There's defo some major rides planned by some of you, fair play :-bd
I'll keep mine a bit more down to earth for us mere mortals...

BB Winter event.
And basically see how it goes. I managed 18 nights out in 2022 so it would be nice to be in the 20's...
As I'll be turning 50 in November it would be great to do something multiday wise during the year as I can get a pass quite easily.
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 5

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

In for the HT group start and planning on doing roughly what I did last year, less the blow up on day one. Maximises eating establishment patronage, allows a decent kip every night and gets it done in a reasonable time frame - 5 and a half to 6 days, all being well.
Hope to do the Loch Lomond and Trossachs Loop group start if its not too close to the HT
Would like to do the NYM300 as it's near my folks place so easy to get to
Will go for the BB300 again but definitely sleep this time! Will also spend a week in Wales to avoid having to drive straight home afterwards
Nowt much bikepacking wise although I would like to do the GNT from where it passes close to my house to John O' Groats, but I've said that for the last four years....
I'll get started on BAM but not feeling pressure to do it this year
Other than that my usual bike rides, mostly local with a few jaunts up north.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

I just want to get to the end of the year without being killed. Sorry for the negativity but two near death experiences in one road ride today. And before you start I love riding on the road and why shouldn't I?

Oh and finish my new guidebook ;-)
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'm crap at this game so won't jinx anything by opening my mouth but I do enjoy hearing what those more disciplined and organised have planned :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

jameso wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 12:57 pm Also want to do the Ride to the Sun Scotland summer solstice event, that looks fun.
Done it a couple of times and would highly recommend. I'm due another go, so maybe this year. Would be nice to ride to and/or from the start/finish too.
jameso wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 12:57 pmI also lack motivation to make my own overseas travel plans these days. It's not a negative feeling, I'm happy that I've ridden enough other places to have got past the need to go a long way to be interested by riding, it's a good contented sort of feeling.
I feel the same at the moment. A combination of Covid lockdowns and reluctance to fly for environmental reasons. I've mooted a few overseas trips, and in some ways am really keen to get out of the country for a bit, but obviously not enough to turn them into concrete plans.
yourguitarhero wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 1:59 pm Other than that I'm quitting work at the end of April so will probably just get on the bike and start riding
:-bd Good plan, best of luck!

Not much in the calendar for 2023, but...
Got a MTB weekend in the Tweed valley with friends planned for Jan
Also a week around Torridon in April
Having said what I said before, would like to visit two friends currently living in Oslo and Gothenburg, and might work in some riding
Maybe put together a "parcours" of ITTs and groups starts with a view to convincing Alan Goldsmith I could get round the HT550 next year
Probably some audax as part of that, and maybe start a RRTY (having had the last one interrupted by lockdowns), and maybe an SR (having only missed out the 600 this year)
But also more local riding in Northumberland (maybe plan some rides for my, largely road/gravel, club for a bit of fun and some company)
BB300 maybe? :???:

There's a lot of 'mights' and 'maybes' in there which is arguably not the way to set yourself goals, but that's fine with me, it's not a bloody business plan :cool:
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Lost the cycling mojo a bit over recent months so a few things to target will be good:
  • Probably only one big trip this year - hoping to do Sea to Peak in France. https://erminig.cc/epreuves/la-sea-to-peak/
  • Had a mech in BB300 last year so hope for better luck in that this year
  • Hopefully a bunch of other UK ITTs - NYM300, Jenn Ride etc
  • Bought a half decent road bike this year and have ridden it just once so maybe a long road event or two.
jameso

Post by jameso »

There's a lot of 'mights' and 'maybes' in there which is arguably not the way to set yourself goals, but that's fine with me, it's not a bloody business plan :cool:
100% :-bd
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Nice one Steven...

1. BAM (and in fact I might order my badge from a couple of years ago too).

2. Lots of mountain biking with a decent amount with my little one.

3. Commute by bike to work... But I'll have to work out a plan pf where to go for work.

4. Way of the Roses and also a winter NorthPeaks100.

5. Clear out and organise the bikes/shed etc and obviously Bearbones200.
gairym

Post by gairym »

I have a bunch of things I have in mind for next year but only two that I feel I really need to do.

- It's the 10th edition of the Tuscany Trail and it'll be my 9th year in attendance (so annoyed I missed the 1st year).

- I always like to do a 3-4 day version/variation on the Veneto Gravel event route mid-Spring (something like my 6th or 7th year in a row of doing this).

Other than those two usual suspects (which look exotic but only possible due to low cost/no flight proximity) I'll be trying to achieve a few other things too.....

- I've got a couple of weddings in the UK and so I'm hoping to do some Welsh riding (Trail centre and bikepacking) with some old buddies.

- Ride my bouncy bike with friends and the kids a LOT continuing the general upwards trend of getting better and better even though I'm getting older and crapper.

- Use my gravel bikes (with slicks on) to do more long distance road riding as I miss long hot days covering big Kms by myself.

- Just get out more, more overnighters, more short escapes, more day trips, more epic adventures, more fun, more silly ideas that end up being great experiences, more short one hour fitness rides and so on.....
Loki

Post by Loki »

Right now, just riding/learning to ride again, I am at ground zero regarding fitness so putting that back together, I am hoping to get out for a bivvy night this spring, anything more than this is a bonus.
Simon K
There is only one God.......GODZILLA! And he rides a fat bike.
Fat cyclist, fat bike rider, bike packer, photographer, coffee junkie. Brain tumour survivor.

https://www.instagram.com/beardythebikepacker/
https://beardythebikepacker.blogspot.com
metalheart

Post by metalheart »

I started this year with a frozen shoulder (dodgy injection most likely) which made cycling impossible for the first 1/3rd of the year at least (and stopped all mtb for 6 months). I then had my work situation finally catch up with me leaving me ‘zombified ‘ and being signed off for 6 weeks. Least cycling in years and no bivying (my one planned one got called off to the freezing forecast....).

So if I could have just a ‘normal’ pre-pandemic type year in ‘23 that would be appreciated, thanks.

My Camino plans have been put on the next year, sometime, maybe never list for now.... :cry:
Give the dirt a little room.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

I’m going to continue with my (not quite so) winter project
viewtopic.php?t=22677

Was looking at the Gloious Gravel events too but I’m not much for riding with others :| but seems like a good way to pencil in some rides in areas I might not normally ride. I’ll sit on the fence for this for the time being
Leerowe76

Post by Leerowe76 »

NYM300
YD300 bit more of a leisurely
BB200
Proper attempt of BAM
plotting a route of North Wales castles currently unsure which path to take on this tho mtb or roadie
Offas Dyke path Chepstow >> Prestatyn over 3 days
Return of the Mach ride - Machynlleth to home (Chester) which is a damn good day out
Maybe a few of ITT routes given time etc
Some kind of family hol/break, But like Mike Tyson said "everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face" so lets see what happens :lol:
Sure theres more I've missed as there is lots to do all over the place
Wouldn't mind a go at a few Audax too but my love for the road bike isn't what it used to be

Edited - Can't not have the WRT thrown in so yeah WRT for sure as its a great event :-bd
Last edited by Leerowe76 on Sat Dec 31, 2022 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Living On Dreams & Custard Creams
rudedog

Post by rudedog »

I'm planning the badger divide in May, hopefully with friends but possibly solo.
Rockbus

Post by Rockbus »

Just signed up for the Calder divide.
At present first organised gravel ride ever but hoping to do a few more before then as well