Winter Event GR.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

Winter Event GR.

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Have now left the building. If you don't receive yours than do apply the usual and if that fails, give me a shout. :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
RIP

Re: Winter Event GR.

Post by RIP »

Was hoping for one in a river rather than on a river bank. Wetsuit back into the loft then.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Was hoping for one in a river rather than on a river bank. Wetsuit back into the loft then.
I'm sure you can manage to fall in either unaided or not :wink:
slarge

Post by slarge »

Haven't seen much posted about this. Who's in, who's out, and where are people planning to go?

I'm in, and am thinking of a mainly road ride with a bothy, but a bothy far from the grid refs.
Probably solo unless someone wants to tag along.
Was considering actually cooking as well rather than pub food, but that might be pushing my boundaries a little.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Steve, I think everyone else is going with John :wink:
slarge

Post by slarge »

Cheers Stu, so as crowds are definitely a thing of the past I'll just crack on with my solo Billy no mates plan. On my own.
jesusjohn

Post by jesusjohn »

Slarge - are you after a riding buddy? My riding buddy bailed on me

Of course - I might yet still bail (its a 9 hour round trip drive for me), or we might not find a common ground on ability/range/speed, or you/I might just decide its nicer to be alone with the wildlife, and of the above or other reasons.

I don't know the area, never been to the middle of Wales and I'm scanning maps and looking at options. And right now I don't feel 100% but getting better every day (running nose from normal xmas cold still).

John.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Probably off up round Dinas Mawddwy, 50/50 road/offroad.

Friday eve Wynnstay, beers, bed, LBM school, brew/toast, talk bollocks, no faffing; then maybe steep hill, view, ford, wet feet, cafe, pub, tussocks, fall into Dyfi, cafe, slate quarry, view, cafe, suicidal hill, slate quarry, view, cafe, pub, ditch, porridge. Repeat as per previous day. And as usual all that will completely change upon departure from LBM on Sat morning.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

Zippy

Post by Zippy »

slarge wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 6:55 pm Haven't seen much posted about this. Who's in, who's out, and where are people planning to go?

I'm in, and am thinking of a mainly road ride with a bothy, but a bothy far from the grid refs.
Probably solo unless someone wants to tag along.
Was considering actually cooking as well rather than pub food, but that might be pushing my boundaries a little.
Hey Steve - I'm hoping to go, although have very little fitness compared to a few years ago :|

I've also not quite route planned as par for the course as been trying to fix the car...I think I've figured it out but need to get a couple of electrical connectors...so currently 70% chance of getting to the event i reckon!

But if I see you at the start and don't mind slowing down a bit, It would be great to catch up :-bd
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I think we are going to be stopping at the Travelodge in Oswestry on Friday night (still not booked), get to Llanbrynmair in the morning a bit of chatter then looking at wandering down towards Elan with an afternoon tea in Llanidloes then probably stopping at Lluest Cwmbach bothy before heading back via Rhayader for a second breakfast. Mostly road but will likely have a wander through Hafren (there's a BW leading past Mynydd Y Groes that I've not been on). Depending on exact route it's about 60km each way.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

I am going after a British Cycle Quest clue near Abergynolwen so heading out past CAT, down to Tywyn and Happy Valley / NCN8 and into Mach for breakfast and then back via Forge. About 100km with a 10km bonus near the endif I am feeling frisky. Weather may scupper plans,I have not looked yet.
slarge

Post by slarge »

Blackhound wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 5:54 pm I am going after a British Cycle Quest clue near Abergynolwen so heading out past CAT, down to Tywyn and Happy Valley / NCN8 and into Mach for breakfast and then back via Forge. About 100km with a 10km bonus near the endif I am feeling frisky. Weather may scupper plans,I have not looked yet.
Into Mach..... you taking a boat?
RIP

Post by RIP »

You'll be fine... just don't stop pedalling..... :wink:

Sept 2019....

whitestone

Post by whitestone »

RIP

Post by RIP »

:smile: Or of course even: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qeZgYmKcJT4

I rudely didn't rescue the guy in that car by the way.

Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

Ah, I just heard the traffic report from Mach on my radio, may have to reconsider plans
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Anyone wanting to get across the Dyfi should be able to get through on the back road that runs from east of Cemmaes road and through Llanwrin.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Had a bit of a panic yesterday - a warning light came up on the van, then another, then another :shock: Finally "Engine fault! Get it fixed" came up on the radio/control screen :o

Had a look at the manual and it turned out that all three were actually part of the same underlying fault. The manual also said that when I next started the engine the text warning would pop up every 30 seconds and that after 700 miles the engine would not start to prevent damage to the catalytic converter. Since I need the van for work that meant it would be a bit much heading down to Mid-Wales and using up the miles before the garage could have a look at it in nearly two weeks' time (I'm on a service plan). I think the underlying fault is the mechanism that adds Ad-Blue to the incoming fuel.

Fortunately we can get both bikes into the back of Cath's car - both wheels off both bikes and remove my seat post to do it. Cue lots of bike building when we get to the community centre.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

DPF is a pretty common fault as well Bob - I'm assuming yours has one.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

The actual message was "Emissions fault" so it's possible, but most of my mileage is longer distances at NSL rather than "town miles" which is a definite problem with DPFs. I'd imagine (hope) that cleaning the filter is part of the service.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'd imagine (hope) that cleaning the filter is part of the service.
I doubt it Bob :wink:
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

What van is it Bob? Ive heard of vehicles doing it when they just need an ad-blu top up - if it's not the EML/check engine light then surely it can't be too serious :grin:

My car's been having electrical gremlins, think I've diagnosed it eventually as a dodgy connector, got the connector and discovered I don't have an appropriate crimping tool (and I have a few!)...should be picking one of those up tomorrow and hopefully one I've done that I'll be good... we'll see!
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Zippy wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 7:59 pm What van is it Bob? Ive heard of vehicles doing it when they just need an ad-blu top up - if it's not the EML/check engine light then surely it can't be too serious :grin:

My car's been having electrical gremlins, think I've diagnosed it eventually as a dodgy connector, got the connector and discovered I don't have an appropriate crimping tool (and I have a few!)...should be picking one of those up tomorrow and hopefully one I've done that I'll be good... we'll see!
Peugeot Partner - basically the same as the Citroen Berlingo (and the Vauxhall Combo). I do keep the Ad-blue* topped up, in fact when that light came on I slapped another 5L in but the light is still on so it suggests that the warning light is connected to at least two sensors and you'd need to plug in an analyser to find out which one.

* you get 1500km from the Ad-blue light coming on to things being disabled and I'll usually do the top-up within 200km but generally within 100km.
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Packed and ready to pick Sam up on the way to the Wynnstay for Friday evening.
Had a couple from our gang drop because this bloody cold/flu that's going around.
I'm coughing up the worst of it now after having it since boxing day.
Just getting my slow performance excuse in early.
See you either tomorrow night or Saturday.

Our is the post Covid, post cold, CBA'ed gang looking for all the easy options and I think this year, apart from 3 big climbs on Saturday this might be the easiest, most luxurious and comfiest Winter Event so far.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

whitestone wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:45 pm Nah, amateur! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vm2fOxOjPgs :lol:
I managed this once through a 5m section under a bridge (after considering the options which were basically turning back round and following some busy roads or retracting my treads). Campag front hub started squealing immediately and another 30 miles it was fully toast!

The rear Dura Ace is still soldering on another 1000 miles or more later...