Too much stuff

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

FLV

Too much stuff

Post by FLV »

Just a pondering if its just me really?

I have way too much stuff. I reckon I spend way too my time looking for the stuff I actually want to use. It really seems to be the case that a mixture of the lure of the shiney new has led me down the path of building stuff up over time to the point where its now an actual hinderance.

Clothes, books, ski kit, general outdoor kit, moto kit and sooo much bike kit. I definitely seem to have a bikepacking bag / shelter fetish

Although my wife half agrees with me and half thinks I am having a(nother) mid life crisis I have started the process of getting rid. A lot of selling and a lot of charity shop action. It feels absolutely endless.

Just wondered if anyone else is the same, or has done the same. Did you stick with it, or slowly build back up?
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Too much stuff

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I had a big cull a few years ago Dave - bikes, kit, etc. It felt a bit odd at first but I quickly began to enjoy the process as it felt quite cleansing. I can only think of a couple of items that I later on regretted selling but even that wasn't a genuine hardship.

Since, I tend to give more thought as to what I purchase and actually take a degree of enjoyment from actually not buying something. Books however, are something I seldom get rid of.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Yep - loads of gear, have always enjoyed the deciding on and buying of it. The "right" bit of gear in use is very satisfying i.e. when it is or feels like it is making a difference. The recent spur-of-the-moment purchase of a lightweight packraft being one case in point :roll: :roll:

At times I realise my life balance has become more about stuff than doing. at those time I get a bit annoyed with myself. I am shocking at getting rid but must do so.

Now Dave, what are you selling? :lol: :lol:
ton

Post by ton »

i had a mega clearout when i retired and bought the fargo.
got nothing now. if i need something, i buy it, try it and sell it asap if it dont fit/suit me.
cant do with loads of old sub standard laying about......... :-bd
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

I have too much cycling related paraphernalia [ clothes , parts and gear*]
I dont have too many bikes

* Must do a clear out in the new year
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Do what I did, move from a 5 bedroom detached house with 3 sheds and a garage to a tiny harbourside terrraced cottage.

The amount of stuff we binned/sold/gave away was astonishing and also cathartic. So sell up and downsize is my advice ;-)
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

My name is Duncan and I'm a bikeaholic.
trob6

Post by trob6 »

I have stuff but not tons of it, I consider and buy the best I can for what I need and then that thing lasts for a long time /ever.
I have a primus multifuel stove I have had for 32 years and is still brilliant and a swiss army knife for 35 years, I suspect my son will inherit them although I bought him the same knife as a reward for climbing Snowden when he was 9, the deal was no moaning all the way up and down and you get the knife, he was very pleased, sorry slighty off topic :lol:
What's the worst than can happen?
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Cool, get it all up on the classifieds :-bd
(Sorry, and in actual fact I also have too much stuff so I should practice what I preach)
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

I have too much stuff. I think Tonys method is best. Too much stuff is tressful especially when you have poor organisational abilities!
Shewie

Post by Shewie »

We're a generation of consumers, and suckers for marketing, riding a wave of easy cash and blessed (cursed?) with being able to buy whatever and whenever we want

I say make the most of it while you can :-bd
FLV

Post by FLV »

Cheeky Monkey wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 12:31 pm Now Dave, what are you selling? :lol: :lol:
3 bikes
Forks
Wheels
Tyres
Riding clothes
Climbing kit
Moto helmets and jackets
Stoves
Tents
Bikepacking bags
General camping kit
Massive family tent

Etc etc
FLV

Post by FLV »

Shewie wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 5:12 pm
I say make the most of it while you can :-bd
I have been, it’s irritating me a fair bit these days.

Time to clear out for sure
slarge

Post by slarge »

I'm looking for a full length thermarest neoair mat.

Anyone got one they are clearing out?

Sean - this is proper full length, not the short one you think I need😁
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

slarge wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 8:09 pm Sean - this is proper full length, not the short one you think I need😁
What are you going to do with all the leftover bit at the end? :wink:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
slarge

Post by slarge »

sean_iow wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 8:17 pm
slarge wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 8:09 pm Sean - this is proper full length, not the short one you think I need😁
What are you going to do with all the leftover bit at the end? :wink:
That'll be the spare room, to go alongside the main bedroom and next door to the kitchen
MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

The less I ride, the more I want to buy.
The more I ride, the less I want to buy.

Took me a while to realise the trend, but now I have it's a simple cure... :grin:
May you always have tail wind.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Being serious for a second (unusual for me) if you can get one with the newer style valve, wing lock. It's much better than the original type although that works well enough.

The wing lock has a one way valve which makes blowing it up easier.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Defo have a lot of stuff. Outdoorsy kit, bushcraft kit, biking kit, motorbikes, cars, workshop stuff. Building a car at the moment so have all the bits dotted around my office and garage

Have the space though, mostly, so it's pretty well organised. I sell or give away the bits I really don't use, but I keep a lot just in case, plus can use a lot for or with the kids
firestarter

Post by firestarter »

Defo too much stuff, I seem to have collected it when I had covid, still coughing crap up after first getting it on the first round it seems an endless cycle of being I'll and I seem to buy things with the hope of using them, I must change this next year ive wheels, tyres, tents stoves alsorts I need to use
Rockbus

Post by Rockbus »

I can definitely relate. Bike wise I’ve bought a lot of bike packing stuff this year but not actually ventured out and used any of it! Even bought new clothing kit for gravel bike which I don’t really need a have road and mtb stuff that would’ve done.
Ironically I’ve read a book on minimalism and have started to apply some of it. Have sent a load of books and clothes to charity shops and got rid of a load of road biking gear.
Next year plan is very much to think quality rather than quantity on any purchases
Boab

Post by Boab »

My wife says I have too much stuff, I tend to disagree. I've had to re-buy stuff she's made me throw out, or get rid of, more than once.
It pains me to get rid of books, physically nauseous. It's the same with vinyl.
If anyone has a load of Nineties house, techno and what not, and wants shot of it, let me know...
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
Shewie

Post by Shewie »

Boab wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 7:02 pm If anyone has a load of Nineties house, techno and what not, and wants shot of it, let me know...
I've got around 3000 vinyl, a pair of 1210s and a couple of mixers to shift one day, I keep getting pestered to deal with it but I can't bring myself to get rid, too many good memories
RIP

Post by RIP »

Rockbus wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 6:48 pm Ironically I’ve read a book on minimalism and have started to apply some of it.
From the library presumably :wink:
Bob wrote: It pains me to get rid of books, physically nauseous. It's the same with vinyl.
Same here. I get physically nauseous if I'm not actually reading at least one book at any moment. Very weird.

Unfortunately this Crimbo I acquired, from Santa, one vinyl LP (Sir Henry At Rawlinson End), and two books (er, Sir Henry At Rawlinson End; and the history of Hendre Ddu Quarry And Tramway), so I've got to pretend to get rid of one LP and two other books in exchange. Mrs Perrin always tells me that. I never seem to get round to it though.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Boab

Post by Boab »

Shewie wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 5:35 pm
Boab wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 7:02 pm If anyone has a load of Nineties house, techno and what not, and wants shot of it, let me know...
I've got around 3000 vinyl, a pair of 1210s and a couple of mixers to shift one day, I keep getting pestered to deal with it but I can't bring myself to get rid, too many good memories
Gave my decks, mixer, amp and speakers away to a (really, really) good friend's wee brother. Regret it occasionally, but I couldn't mix consistently for mince; so no great loss really.
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.