Outdoor Active - is it now that we lose all our ViewRanger maps?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Outdoor Active - is it now that we lose all our ViewRanger maps?

Post by redefined_cycles »

Is everyone now starting to lose their maps from Viewranger that we'd been allowed to keep using on the Outdoor Active Pro subscription. Anything we can do about it.

I've emailed em after getting the message that the pro subscription would no longer work. But not holding out my hopes that theyllhave a way for me to keep using the tiles I owned in Viewranger. Keen to know if anyone else has managed to keep em...

Thanks.
redefined_cycles

Re: Outdoor Active - is it now that we lose all our ViewRanger maps?

Excellent news and a quick respinse by someone called Mike.

--------
Hi Shafiq,

Though the year of free Pro+ has ended, you retain the whole of OS GB and OSI permanently free under the legacy agreement.

To make sure you are ready to use them:
Use the App / Play Store; find Outdooractive; if there's an update install it.
If the app is running, close it and restart it.
In the app, ​use My Page bottom right of the app, scroll down, Sync, so the app picks up any changes.
On any map screen use the map layers button, the stack of squares to the right. Choose OS or OSI with the black and white folded map icon. Zoom in and you'll see the maps.

Kind regards,
Mike.
ripio

Post by ripio »

redefined_cycles wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 10:18 am Excellent news and a quick respinse by someone called Mike.

--------
Hi Shafiq,

Though the year of free Pro+ has ended, you retain the whole of OS GB and OSI permanently free under the legacy agreement.

To make sure you are ready to use them:
Use the App / Play Store; find Outdooractive; if there's an update install it.
If the app is running, close it and restart it.
In the app, ​use My Page bottom right of the app, scroll down, Sync, so the app picks up any changes.
On any map screen use the map layers button, the stack of squares to the right. Choose OS or OSI with the black and white folded map icon. Zoom in and you'll see the maps.

Kind regards,
Mike.
Only seems to be the case while online though
Go offline and all the OS mapping that I downloaded when moved over to Outdoor Active, which I bought originally on Viewranger is not available to me.
And even when online I can't zoom out to get an overview map of the country.
Not good.
redefined_cycles

Yes, agreed. That's been the same for some time sinceoving to OA. I really used to appreciate the OS maps downloaded on the phone via ViewRanger

I wonder if there's another option that's almost as good in functionality...
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I have access to the whole of the UK and can download areas to my phone for offline use. Even if I'm zoomed out quite a way the download included the overview, 1:50k and 1:25k and changed as I zoomed in.

I can't complain as on viewranger I only had the Isle of Wight and that was a free download years ago as a promotion.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
ripio

Post by ripio »

sean_iow wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 8:14 pm I have access to the whole of the UK and can download areas to my phone for offline use. Even if I'm zoomed out quite a way the download included the overview, 1:50k and 1:25k and changed as I zoomed in.

I can't complain as on viewranger I only had the Isle of Wight and that was a free download years ago as a promotion.
Yes but has your free one year subscription expired yet?
Mine worked like that until today when my free year expired
Only option now seems to be to cough up for the Pro subscription to get downloadable maps.
ripio

Post by ripio »

redefined_cycles wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 6:38 pm Yes, agreed. That's been the same for some time sinceoving to OA. I really used to appreciate the OS maps downloaded on the phone via ViewRanger

I wonder if there's another option that's almost as good in functionality...
The free year subscription after being moved from Viewranger included the ability to download for offline use.
I downloaded all of Scotland, but today now my free year is up, those downloads don't seem to be accessible any more. I paid for them all in Viewranger and thought they were continuing to allow access to 'legacy' purchases in Outdoor Active but it seems not in downloadable form, which makes it pretty useless.
redefined_cycles

Right, so the 'zoom in' for OS didn't work for me. But Iverecently changed phones which may be the cause. Redownloading huge chunks now from OA. Will report back with what it does in offline mode after this...
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

I didn't use either of these so dont know all the ins and outs but doesn't an OS Premium membership give you on line and download access to 1:25k and 50k?

Premium was discounted recently (ish) via OS' site and some re-sellers so could be had for (iirc) £24/year.
petemaz

Post by petemaz »

Cheeky Monkey wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 3:27 pm I didn't use either of these so dont know all the ins and outs but doesn't an OS Premium membership give you on line and download access to 1:25k and 50k?

Premium was discounted recently (ish) via OS' site and some re-sellers so could be had for (iirc) £24/year.
I'd be keen to know this as well if anyone uses OS mapping.

Oh and I just saw an OS ad on Facebook with premium access on offer for £20.29 for the year.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Sorry, I wasnt clear. I didnt use viewranger etc but do have OS Premium. It's spotty dog as far as I'm concerned.
redefined_cycles

I think Imin a good position to reply to a few Qs. But maybe there is inconsistencies in what OA are doing with the customers that came over from Viewranger and owned lots of tiles there. Here's what I've concluded so far.

I got told by the OA rep that my access to the tiles I owned with ViewRanger would remain in OS now that the premium/pro membership had run out. Unsure as to why but I actually still have access to the whole of the UK in both 1:25 and 1:50 maps. Maybe not every single map tile is active but I've gone into the Scottish Highlands of which I don't think I owned any maps but I'm still able to zoom in the OS option and it brings up both.

I've also managed to download lots of tiles (north and south Yorkshire) and theyre still showing zoomable when the internet is turned off. However their borders just show up as black/empty. Again, not sure if it's only allowede to download the chunks of tiles I already owned from Viewranger...
redefined_cycles

Internet off in both these pics (top bar shows if it's on or off)

https://i.imgur.com/GJCLh2e.jpeg
Net now off and it wouldn't let me zoom into anything. The general overview being present as the internet probably loaded it before turning off.

Zoom in and nothing.

Now onto some tiles that I'd downloaded (and also would have owned previously as they're local and I owned most of the local 100 miles squared or more).

Zooming in took me straight to the overview then 1 in 50 to 1:25.

ripio

Post by ripio »

I think these are just some areas that have been cached while you were online, I don't think they are downloads as such.
I get the same in some areas but I am unable to download anything and I had purchased tiles covering the whole of Scotland on Viewranger.
This is what I get when I press the download arrow on an area I definitely bought tiles from Viewranger
Screenshot_2022-12-31-19-25-53-309.jpeg
Screenshot_2022-12-31-19-25-53-309.jpeg (55.85 KiB) Viewed 1055 times
redefined_cycles

ripio wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 8:32 pm I think these are just some areas that have been cached while you were online, I don't think they are downloads as such.
I get the same in some areas but I am unable to download anything and I had purchased tiles covering the whole of Scotland on Viewranger.
This is what I get when I press the download arrow on an area I definitely bought tiles from Viewranger

I think you need to email them Ripio. I definitely downloaded and have used the downloaded areas today on my new phone. I emailed and they said I'd still own the tiles I had from VR but when I go into it I can actually get into all of the UK still. My Pro membership has expired aswell...

Definitely seem to be a good bunch but maybe a few teething issues (and why I've ended up with access to the whole of the UK as opposed to just what is owned by me.
arkay

Post by arkay »

I just tried downloading maps and I also get the "upgrade to pro" message - even though I still have the "Pro" shield icon displaying at the bottom left! If I tap the "find out more" button I get a screen headed "upgrade to Pro+" which again suggest I am already a Pro member.
ripio

Post by ripio »

redefined_cycles wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 12:08 am
ripio wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 8:32 pm I think these are just some areas that have been cached while you were online, I don't think they are downloads as such.

I think you need to email them Ripio. I definitely downloaded and have used the downloaded areas today on my new phone. I emailed and they said I'd still own the tiles I had from VR but when I go into it I can actually get into all of the UK still. My Pro membership has expired aswell...

Definitely seem to be a good bunch but maybe a few teething issues (and why I've ended up with access to the whole of the UK as opposed to just what is owned by me.
Thanks.
I've been in touch with them and they have enabled my access to download my legacy mapping and it's working now.
Bit ridiculous that they don't do it automatically, many ex Viewranger users will be paying out for an OA subscription unneccesarily if they don't know about it, but I guess that's the plan to get more folk upgrading to Pro.
redefined_cycles

:-bd
arkay

Post by arkay »

ripio wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 7:48 pm
Thanks.
I've been in touch with them and they have enabled my access to download my legacy mapping and it's working now.
Bit ridiculous that they don't do it automatically, many ex Viewranger users will be paying out for an OA subscription unneccesarily if they don't know about it, but I guess that's the plan to get more folk upgrading to Pro.
Sounds like I need to do this as I can't download any maps despite spending plenty on Viewranger over the years. What method/address did you use to get in touch? I can't see an email address or contact form in the app.
redefined_cycles

arkay wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 12:57 pm
Thanks.
Sounds like I need to do this as I can't download any maps despite spending plenty on Viewranger over the years. What method/address did you use to get in touch? I can't see an email address or contact form in the app.
Check your historic emails Arkay. Either for VR or OA..
ripio

Post by ripio »

arkay wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 12:57 pm
Thanks.
Open the app
Go to My Page tab at bottom of screen
Scroll down to Service and Support button and press that
That takes you to a help web page, scroll down to Ask a Question and press that
A contact form will open up and you can fill that in with your request to have legacy mapping enabled
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Apparently today is the day for me. I had an email at 2am to warn me, and another at 7 to say it's expired. I clicked through to see how much to resubscribe and ended up activating another 10 days free.

I thought I would probably resubscribe despite my annoyance at the whole situation, since I really liked having the Harvey's maps, and I've had a fair bit of free stuff I haven't really paid for out of them. But the Harvey's maps only seem to come with Pro+, not Pro, which is north of £50 a year. That's pretty steep. Will see how it works out without. Are there annoying ads on the free version?

Map downloads are still annoying me - they don't seem to stay downloaded, despite support insisting otherwise, so I have to download them again pretty much anytime I go anywhere, just to be on the safe side. On VR I knew at least the whole of the north of England was there so didn't need to think about it. Is this just me?
redefined_cycles

thenorthwind wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 8:28 am Apparently today is the day for me. I had an email at 2am to warn me, and another at 7 to say it's expired. I clicked through to see how much to resubscribe and ended up activating another 10 days free.

I thought I would probably resubscribe despite my annoyance at the whole situation, since I really liked having the Harvey's maps, and I've had a fair bit of free stuff I haven't really paid for out of them. But the Harvey's maps only seem to come with Pro+, not Pro, which is north of £50 a year. That's pretty steep. Will see how it works out without. Are there annoying ads on the free version?

Map downloads are still annoying me - they don't seem to stay downloaded, despite support insisting otherwise, so I have to download them again pretty much anytime I go anywhere, just to be on the safe side. On VR I knew at least the whole of the north of England was there so didn't need to think about it. Is this just me?
Contact them Dave and tell em you owned so much of the OS in VR...
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

redefined_cycles wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:23 am Contact them Dave and tell em you owned so much of the OS in VR...
Cheers Shaf. I went through that process before (hence the free year or so of Pro+) so I'm assuming I've still got access to OS maps without a subscription.
redefined_cycles

Yes... Sounds about right. I've now started getting ads and encourgaemnt to upgrade to Poor+. But still have access to my original OS maps (as well as I think, many more) though the access to all the other types of maps has now vanished (not that we're bothered). :smile: