Shall we talk about balaclavas aswell, shall we!

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Shall we talk about balaclavas aswell, shall we!

Post by redefined_cycles »

I've noticed that all thread are open from cold feet to multiple threads about layering. I think Bob or Gian mentioned the trick of havijg a one piece head and neck covering. I don't usually like balaclavas (I'm a muslim, these trigger happy officers shoot first with 'my kind', then apologise later) for various reasons.

But this morning I sent my little one to school with my buff type thingie and the Travers neck warmer has already gone missing. I guess it's only a matter of time before he loses it and I have a ride coming up soon which is for charity/human rights and money has already started trickling through. I'm gonna follow through and hopefully my chest will be 100% clear by then.

Having seen this little review (which looks a bit rubbish from the outset as it doesn't appear to have any of the RAB or Montane offerings. I'm also hoping for something that, maybe if I pay a little more, won't have my breath freezing on the exhalation. I definitely need (I think) a one piece system that's a bit better than all the cheaper offerings I've used in past years.

https://fatbikeplanet.com/6-best-cold-w ... balaclava/

What do you/we suggest :grin:
Shewie

Re: Shall we talk about balaclavas aswell, shall we!

Post by Shewie »

I've been using an OR Ninjaclava for winter hammock trips for years Shaf, it's quite a versatile piece of kit, worth a look if they're still about
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Always thought the MOD extreme cold masks might be worth a try.

but I'm liking this too...

Or perhaps ....

May the bridges you burn light your way
redefined_cycles

https://ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/punk-balaclava/

This being the one that my heart thinks it should be set on. Especially the face piece looking like it has some ventilation at the nose/mouth to stop icicles (maybe).

Thanks Rich, I'll check that out too...
redefined_cycles

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:35 am Always thought the MOD extreme cold masks might be worth a try.

but I'm liking this too...

I'd probably get reported to 'the regulators' for these Stu :o
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I got traumatised as a child by having to wear balaclavas knitted by my granny to school, followed by much 'ribbing' (or a kicking) from fellow class mates....
Today such balaclavas could be sold for £70 each as bespoke hand crafted artisan head wear.....

I found that baked bean and fried egg one genuinely disturbing :grin:
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

I have a seal skin one that has a removable (drop down ) face mask and Ties at the side
Allows you to vent as you see fit
Only used when sub sub zero and it was damp in the inside ( head not where I breathe) on my return but not noticed on the ride
Also got a fleece one but wets out and freezes esp where you breathe
Has to be very cold for me to wear either + 5 rides ever and 2 were this week )
redefined_cycles

From reading and contemplating on this... maybe the 2 piece system should be continued.. If only for the ease of venting!! Getting a BC might mean I'm unable to wear the deep winter merino hat thatsworked for me these past 4 winters!!

This year just feels colder for some reason (but not yet ridden).
yourguitarhero

Post by yourguitarhero »

Sealskinz one is very good
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Shaf, mines the 45nrth Toasterfork https://www.bikemonger.co.uk/hats--caps-127-c.asp

I've a lightweight neoprene facemask for really cold weather - best place to source them is either motorbike dealers or skiing shops.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

This year just feels colder for some reason
Its ecaue we are having a cold spell ane 2we have not had one for a few years

Currently its is, literally, freezing,

Next week will seem tropical when it returns to 5-7 average temps
Personally I will not be spending or designing my kit around the three weeks of truly freezing weather we get [ the balaclava i use mainly for sleeping in on a winter bivvy
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

I used to use balaclavas, then discovered hoods.
Now, I can't even remember when I last used one (a balaclava that is).

There's one exception: fast(est) grandad mtb riding (the gravel thing)
Think deep rims, tight fitting Assos, fast sport glasses, so muchly aero, I constantly ride 45 km/h as you know from my Strava, Shaf :wink: .

Well, here the speed is high enough, that the hood(s), when not worn, are on the loose. Even wrapped up, they come undone, every 10 - 20 min or so. Also I'm happier to ride in road specific clothing, focused on function at higher speeds and more protection on the frontal areas. No hoods on two of my most used cycling clothes for easy terrain and anything north of 20 km/h ave.
Here I use, depending on temps, either thin skull hat (think single layer buff, or medium (double buff) or medium fleece incl. Windstopper at ears. Then a buff over it, trying to look like my dear Gramma did, when she went out shopping in winter. This covers the same area as a balaclava, but is much more flexible in use. Reach a ridge line and ride into a fierce head wind or cold-air lake? Simply pull the buff up. 2 second job done. Nose saved from frost nip.

Also, for severe cold, I have cut an old buff in half. This can act as face tube. Great stuff.
The fabric goes around my ears, nose and cheeks and when not needed, sits down my neck. It does get damp down there, but airs really quick when pulled up.
Lips protected with a fatty Blistex, buff and hoods if need be.

I still have a neoprene face mask I got more than 20 years ago and despite climbing in -35 °C and even less (and again way less due to wind chill), riding in -30 °C etc. I very rarely used it and long ago stopped bringing it along.
Yes, there are moments where a neoprene face mask makes sense, but they are rare. Unless you are Mike Horn traversing the canadian arctic in winter or climbing K2 in winter on the west ridge.
UK winter... . Use your buff :wink:
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Sat in the village bar atm getting funny looks from the ubiquitous group of old codgers as I've just burst out laughing at the MOD gimp mask. I watched Pulp Fiction last night for the first time in years and the Bruce Willis scene with the immortal words "bring out the gimp" is still giving me flashbacks😱
redefined_cycles

Alpinum wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 7:22 pm
UK winter... . Use your buff :wink:
Enough (nuff) said :-bd

I might just upgrade the snood/buff then thanks much all.

Jon, reason why I was seeing about changing things round a little was due to this year being the first that my GP mentioned that weight soon start looking into COPD testing (from me screwing up my lungs from the age of 13). So I thought maybe a bit of damage limitation might be in order but maybe Imalready on the right track. Chest infection that causes back pain (the physio/coughing) and lasts 4 weeks can have that effect on the mind to start rethinking the outdoor strategy. Thankfully I think I'm not too stupid to go into minus 1 with a knackered chest.

Good point though about the cold stint only being temporary :smile:
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

redefined_cycles wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 8:13 pm GP mentioned that weight soon start looking into COPD testing
Sorry, that wasn't clear to me. I re-read your initial post and going by this:
redefined_cycles wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:21 am I'm also hoping for something that, maybe if I pay a little more, won't have my breath freezing on the exhalation
why bother what your breath does when it left your cavities? Only issue is beards and masks which ice up.
Then again, this is only an issue if you don't wipe across your face (just a quick wipe across with back of hand or sleeve) every half hour, even in very low (like -30 °C) temps and fog, which you get eg. riding along a not completely frozen body of water.

If you struggle with cramped bronchi, eg. get coughing fits after intense activity in the cold, the inhalation of cold air and your damaged/asthmatic lungs are an issue a closed balaclava won't solve.
Face masks like Airtrim (from Sweden) will efficiently pre-warm air with little restriction (but then again, this will be really hot at anything above -20 or so). Also... meds... eg. Seretide or Solbutamol will efficiently reduce breathing problems.
I grew out of mild asthma as a teenager (quite common), but it came back at the age of about 30. I couldn't get rid of a bad cold and breathing/coughing issues one winter and went to my GP. Thankfully, he took a close look at my history (did a good anamnesis) and prescribed Seretide 250. I also did an asthma test and it was concluded that I (only) had border line exercise-induced asthma. Still, the meds really helped. Gone (or extremely reduced) are the coughing fits after going hard in the cold. I sleep better outdoors. Also cover my face (for sleeping) up to my nose with a buff once temps are below freezing. Not sure if this helps with the breathing issues, but it surely leaves my mouth, nose and throat less sore during exdended trips in the cold.

Hope this helps.
Verena

Post by Verena »

I rarely feel the cold around my head when riding, and quickly get too warm, not to mention glasses steam up if I wear a buff and pull it up onto my face.

I do have a very thin silk balaclava, which I sometimes wear for sleeping in (keeps annoying hair out of the way as well), but last weekend on the SWWB it was just right for keeping my head warm when we were riding, erm, sight seeing style.
redefined_cycles

Thanks all. Gian, sorry, I meant 'inhalation'. I usually try to ensure i breathe through the buff to try and have a small reservoir of 'warmer' air under it so I'm not breathing in freezing cold air - been having about 2 to 3 proper chest infections per year since my lung problems became apparent a few years ago but havibg had Covid probably hasn't helped matters. I try and have a system of breathing that reduces the icicles etc.

It was just the comment about 'hoods' that probably got me thinking that maybe I could get a better system going but I'm probably as efficient as I'm gonna be. V, it's nice that you don't get a freezing cold head at winter bivy temps... baldies don't have that privelege :grin:

I think I'll continue as is andaybe upgrade the snood to a merino :smile:
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

When I was doing C25K and running through winter, as an exercise-induced-asthma person, I found a buff over the nose ad mouth almost completely solved the problems of cold, dry air kicking off my lungs. Was often just an issue on starting, once I'd plodded around for a while it all seemed to get in balance and wasn't necessary (I run very hot and sweaty). This was in cold conditions but possibly not as cold as currently.

Secondly, and this will be ridiculous to some or all, but ever since I started training in TKD (10+ years) I have had few if any colds and chest infections. I used to get them fairly regularly and being a bit asthmatic they could be a right PITA. I was still quite active before I started training so it's not like I was a sickly couch potato who discovered regular exercise. For me his much better lung health coincided with regular training.

Bit barmy I know but hey :???:
redefined_cycles

Whats ckd please Tim?

Thanks.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Tae Kwon Do

Many other martial arts exist and refreshingly they are not all completely about battering your opponent into next week (as I imagine MMA is, though I've never done it).

I still train at 50+ which includes patterns, line work, set sparring, free sparring, breaking and fitness work. Quite focused on the "art" aspect rather than the broken noses, bones and blood.

Might be worth noting there are two main international associations for TKD. "Mine" is the ITF. The other, WTF, is what you see in the Olympics. Whilst the fighters have amazing skills and abilities the actual competition sparring style is bobbins, IMO.
redefined_cycles

Thanks Tim :-bd
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Cheeky Monkey wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 12:35 pm When I was doing C25K and running through winter, as an exercise-induced-asthma person, I found a buff over the nose ad mouth almost completely solved the problems of cold, dry air kicking off my lungs. Was often just an issue on starting, once I'd plodded around for a while it all seemed to get in balance and wasn't necessary (I run very hot and sweaty). This was in cold conditions but possibly not as cold as currently.

Secondly, and this will be ridiculous to some or all, but ever since I started training in TKD (10+ years) I have had few if any colds and chest infections. I used to get them fairly regularly and being a bit asthmatic they could be a right PITA. I was still quite active before I started training so it's not like I was a sickly couch potato who discovered regular exercise. For me his much better lung health coincided with regular training.

hmmm... I probably should try that buff breathing again and see if things change.

If the TKD works for you, just never stop believing in it. If something we like to do, something fun helps us, no matter what others say, just keep on believing in it and enjoy the positive outcomes.
Is there some part of meditation or autogenic training involved in TKD as in some other martial arts?
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Cheeky Monkey wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 12:35 pm Secondly, and this will be ridiculous to some or all, but ever since I started training in TKD (10+ years) I have had few if any colds and chest infections. I used to get them fairly regularly and being a bit asthmatic they could be a right PITA. I was still quite active before I started training so it's not like I was a sickly couch potato who discovered regular exercise. For me his much better lung health coincided with regular training.

Hmm, thinks.... Since I started doing pilates in 2017 I've not really had a cold (other than c***d which doesn't count) so mebbes spending an hour a week doing structured exercise, in a calm environment, has more benefits than repairing the damage caused by grinding up a massive climb with my eyeballs resting on the handlebars...
redefined_cycles

Anyway, this is what I ended up buying. For some reason there's limited info online about it but it seems well made and a nice upgrade to my current neck/face warmer/buff.

Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

fatbikephil wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 9:13 pm
Cheeky Monkey wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 12:35 pm Secondly, and this will be ridiculous to some or all, but ever since I started training in TKD (10+ years) I have had few if any colds and chest infections. I used to get them fairly regularly and being a bit asthmatic they could be a right PITA. I was still quite active before I started training so it's not like I was a sickly couch potato who discovered regular exercise. For me his much better lung health coincided with regular training.

Hmm, thinks.... Since I started doing pilates in 2017 I've not really had a cold (other than c***d which doesn't count) so mebbes spending an hour a week doing structured exercise, in a calm environment, has more benefits than repairing the damage caused by grinding up a massive climb with my eyeballs resting on the handlebars...
I certainly feel healthier now than when my main activity was riding. Go figure :???:

No meditation either, just lots of physical activity. Lot of coordination with breath / breathing so mebe that's an aspect.