New XC Frame Option

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Richard G

New XC Frame Option

Post by Richard G »

So, as some of you might have seen, I'm in the market for a new hardtail frame. :cry:

Ideally I'd like to stay with CF as I particularly liked the way this one rode, but I could be persuaded to consider titanium. I'm hilariously out of touch on this sort of thing. I can't afford a new bike right now, so that option is out. Thankfully I don't have any need for it until next April, so no crazy rush to buy (ironically Austin is my last event of the year).

(As it's going to be asked, crash replacement not an option as the bike / frame is too old to qualify)
johnnystorm

Re: New XC Frame Option

Post by johnnystorm »

Any must haves, i.e. compatibility with existing parts, forks, etc. ?
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

I really like the procaliber by Trek, probably not a weight weenie frame but it’s light, has some comfort built in and so far, appears to be robust.

You did say you didn’t have money for a new bike, but the complete entry level bike is £75 more than the frame set itself (£1925 compared to £1850)

I also really like the look of the supercaliber, if I was racing, that would be highly tempting
ton

Post by ton »

i have a specialized rockhopper which is light and quick. if i were a racing snake i would buy a specialized chisel. very light and probably very fast.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

johnnystorm wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 4:56 pm Any must haves, i.e. compatibility with existing parts, forks, etc. ?
Fox 32 tapered fork, QR15. Bolt through rear, 142x12.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Cannondale Scalpel HT. It's got the sort of geometry I'd want in what I'd call an XC HT - something light and efficient but would handle the fun stuff with the saddle down. Raceable but also fun on the cheeky descents in the woods. Downcountry/XCO borderlines if you will. I would have bought one by now but it's only available in carbon fibre, £££ and CBAWC (can't be arsed with carbon)
Mbnut

Post by Mbnut »

I am on a Trek Procaliber and while the isocoupler isn't suspension it does take the edge off general chatter and bigger lumps. The main benefit being less fatigue.

So far, very happy with it.

I'm riding it at the BB200 this weekend if you are about and fancy a look at it.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Mbnut wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 10:51 pm I am on a Trek Procaliber and while the isocoupler isn't suspension it does take the edge off general chatter and bigger lumps. The main benefit being less fatigue.

So far, very happy with it.

I'm riding it at the BB200 this weekend if you are about and fancy a look at it.
Cheers buddy, I'm in the US right now for a race (the airline destroyed my bike).

My friend has one. I've been impressed with that and the Supercalibre.
jameso wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 10:16 am Cannondale Scalpel HT. It's got the sort of geometry I'd want in what I'd call an XC HT - something light and efficient but would handle the fun stuff with the saddle down. Raceable but also fun on the cheeky descents in the woods. Downcountry/XCO borderlines if you will. I would have bought one by now but it's only available in carbon fibre, £££ and CBAWC (can't be arsed with carbon)
Will have a look at that too, thanks.