The king is dead.....

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

JohnClimber

The king is dead.....

Post by JohnClimber »

The king of the rain jackets has died.

After many years of great service my original Columba Outdry Titanium from the very first batch of Outdry jackets all those years back has finally died

Long live the King, as I go off and look for a discounted Columbia Outdry to replace it.

I'll also try and repair this with some stuff that I have for my packrafts
thenorthwind

Re: The king is dead.....

Post by thenorthwind »

Wow, looks so similar to mine that I genuinely thought it was a picture of my jacket at first. viewtopic.php?f=7&t=21607

Bit (ok plenty) of seam sealer on it before it totally falls apart and you'll still have a pretty good (if not pretty) jacket.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Kampa tape / tent fixing tape should sort it? Did a great job on my ripped jacket, leaves a slightly stiffened area but great apart from that.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

jameso wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:42 am Kampa tape / tent fixing tape should sort it? Did a great job on my ripped jacket, leaves a slightly stiffened area but great apart from that.
I tried spinnaker tape on mine and found because it has no stretch it just moved the tension a bit, and caused it to delaminate there. Moved the problem rather than solving it. Pic in the thread I linked above explains it better.

To be honest, seam sealer hasn't really worked that well either. I wore mine during a day of on-off rain in the Lakes yesterday, where I was constantly putting the hood up, or either rolling it up or leaving it to flap in the wind, and now it's coming apart again.
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

jameso wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:42 am Kampa tape / tent fixing tape should sort it? Did a great job on my ripped jacket, leaves a slightly stiffened area but great apart from that.
Thanks, I'll try and fix it with something similar from my pack rafting repair kits when I get a few minutes.
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

thenorthwind wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 8:27 am Wow, looks so similar to mine that I genuinely thought it was a picture of my jacket at first. viewtopic.php?f=7&t=21607

Bit (ok plenty) of seam sealer on it before it totally falls apart and you'll still have a pretty good (if not pretty) jacket.
Cheers Dave,
It's the bit at the base of my next on the outside.

I've emails Columbia for their thoughts and they have replied back but said nothing really and not offered any discount code.
They did say their black Friday deals start soon and that I should keep my eye out for the "Men's OutDry Extreme Mesh Waterproof Shell Jacket".
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

Mine’s done exactly the same thing. Don’t seem to be many Outdry jackets about anymore and the current model seems to have no pit zips. :sad:
jameso

Post by jameso »

Just out of interest do those seeing delamination of jackets like this rinse them out often? I wonder if it's sweat / salt damage that causes it. We don't tend to wash waterproofs so maybe a build up over time does damage. I started rinsing my 7Mesh jacket in lukewarm water from time to time just in case - it was bought at trade and it's brilliant, would baulk at the RRP to replace it.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

jameso wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 10:19 am Just out of interest do those seeing delamination of jackets like this rinse them out often? I wonder if it's sweat / salt damage that causes it. We don't tend to wash waterproofs so maybe a build up over time does damage. I started rinsing my 7Mesh jacket in lukewarm water from time to time just in case - it was bought at trade and it's brilliant, would baulk at the RRP to replace it.
Sorry James, forgot to come back and reply to this... I do occasionally rinse mine in water or pure soap, if it's muddy, but I wouldn't say I've done it regularly, because it's rarely that dirty. Interesting point though.
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Repair job done using packraft repair glue and a strip of black TPU

I'm going to wait to see if there's a better version available in the Black Friday sales in a few weeks to buy a 2nd one.

New one will be the go to coat, this will be the dog walking one
Johnallan

Post by Johnallan »

First proper test of my new one this evening. Probably the wettest day of the year so far but after 3 hours of steady pedalling I'm absolutely soaked to the core. My lower half was covered with fairly cheap Decathlon pants and is about 80% drier. Verdict - rubbish
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

Johnallan wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 8:11 pm First proper test of my new one this evening. Probably the wettest day of the year so far but after 3 hours of steady pedalling I'm absolutely soaked to the core. My lower half was covered with fairly cheap Decathlon pants and is about 80% drier. Verdict - rubbish
New one? What should we be avoiding buying?
Johnallan

Post by Johnallan »

Mine is one of the Ex Lightweight ones in white. The weather came straight through the zipper on a 30 minute commute this morning.

Right now I'm drying out in a pub after 50km of weather and every patch of my jersey is sodden. Can't say I'm impressed with the jacket but the pub is good :-bd
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

That's really not good to hear. How have they managed to take a genuinely brilliant product and **** it up so badly?

For all mine is starting to fall apart in places, it's still completely waterproof. Some very wet commutes in the north east this week and it's kept my top half bone dry. Granted that's considerably less than 50km, but I've used it for some wet hill walks of a good few hours recently too.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Sorry to hear that and as others have said, not my experience either. I wonder whether those white ones are from really, really old stock? Though I can't imagine why that would make them performance poorly.

Don't know where you are but conditions yesterday were biblical round me. Any chance it's some combo of those and possibly some "user error" (no offence)?

:cool:
Johnallan

Post by Johnallan »

In all fairness, it was extremely wet yesterday. I'd say that's perfect conditions for testing a new waterproof jacket though and it didn't pass the test..

There's a chance the user made made plenty of errors, he often does. They're quite a simple thing though, put it on, zip it up, plug the neck-gap with a buff and hope it works as advertised. In this case the weather may be more than the jacket can handle but I was hoping it'd be better than it is. I won't be buying another, or even expecting it to keep me dry in Yorkshire.
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

The problem is is that there are so many different materials used by Columbia and labled "outdry" that we can't be sure we're comparing apples with apples. The ExReign is 100% nylon, the Outdry Extreme is 100% nylon stretch mesh, the Wildrain is 100% polyester stretch, plus there were previously ones labled titanium and an eco-cotton based material too. The one Johnallan has is described as ripstop nylon.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

woodsmith wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 12:01 pm The problem is is that there are so many different materials used by Columbia and labled "outdry" that we can't be sure we're comparing apples with apples. The ExReign is 100% nylon, the Outdry Extreme is 100% nylon stretch mesh, the Wildrain is 100% polyester stretch, plus there were previously ones labled titanium and an eco-cotton based material too. The one Johnallan has is described as ripstop nylon.
Add in the very same jacket will not necessarily come with exactly the same fabric in a second or third etc. iteration despite claiming no changes/same spec as before.
Leerowe76

Post by Leerowe76 »

Johnallan wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 11:28 am In all fairness, it was extremely wet yesterday. I'd say that's perfect conditions for testing a new waterproof jacket though and it didn't pass the test..

There's a chance the user made made plenty of errors, he often does. They're quite a simple thing though, put it on, zip it up, plug the neck-gap with a buff and hope it works as advertised. In this case the weather may be more than the jacket can handle but I was hoping it'd be better than it is. I won't be buying another, or even expecting it to keep me dry in Yorkshire.
What are you using now John only asking as you ride in Yorkshire :lol: and as I've tried a few jackets and all have pretty much failed the test in a downpour, I don't mind riding in the rain and there will be a point where I'll have to it at length but from the last two Gore jackets to the latest Galibier addition (2hrs solid rain yesterday and got soaked through) I'm not impressed at all and to top it off the misses thinks I've got some addiction to waterproof garments :lol:
Happy to hear what everyone is using and what really works for longer sessions in the wet :-bd
Living On Dreams & Custard Creams
Boab

Post by Boab »

Leerowe76 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 9:44 am ... to the latest Galibier addition (2hrs solid rain yesterday and got soaked through) ...
Would that be the Tempest Pro, or the Courchevel...? I have a Tempest Pro from a few years ago, and you get wetter from the lack of breathability, than the rain. At least you're warm though... 🙄
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
Leerowe76

Post by Leerowe76 »

Tempest Pro in moderate to heavy rain for 2hrs on a not too hilly road ride and not really pushing hard on the climbs, after half hour it felt okay onto the hour mark and it was pretty wet through the next hour was just uncomfortable and clingy.
The jacket itself fits and feels great and maybe its shower proof in light showers at best imo, may have to use as a smoking jacket from now on but don't smoke no more so may have to wear it when watering the garden.
Purchased the route training jersey/jacket which really impressed me over the winter period, keeps the warm in and not too sweaty on the inside either which prompted me to try the rain jacket :| I was wrong
Living On Dreams & Custard Creams
ton

Post by ton »

has anyone got this version ??
i have, and it is fantastic. worn in torrential rain a few times and for long periods.
it just works. keeps me dry. and like any other waterproof, i sweat a bit and get a bit damp, but the lining keeps it comfy, and not clammy.

https://www.columbiasportswear.no/en_CZ ... 92011.html
Johnallan

Post by Johnallan »

Leerowe76 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 9:44 am
Johnallan wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 11:28 am In all fairness, it was extremely wet yesterday. I'd say that's perfect conditions for testing a new waterproof jacket though and it didn't pass the test..

What are you using now John only asking as you ride in Yorkshire :lol:
I'm still using all the crap jackets I've bought over the years, and I just get wet and moan about it :roll:

I've actually been eyeing up the tempest pro but I won't waste anymore money...
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

JohnClimber wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 8:57 pm Repair job done using packraft repair glue and a strip of black TPU

I'm going to wait to see if there's a better version available in the Black Friday sales in a few weeks to buy a 2nd one.

New one will be the go to coat, this will be the dog walking one
Well my repair lasted for another 10 months since it's s repair.
But now it is finally dead.
After a 10 months of light use for dog walking and the occasional outing the hood has de laminated in several other places, only lightly but enough to kill it off.
I think why this is happened is because there is no hook on the neck to hang it up with. So I had it hung up by the hood in a cupboard full of coats and this must have caused the strain.
So tomorrow its in the bin.

This was quite possibly the very oldest Outdry in the Bear Bones collective and started the "trend" so I guess it's around 7 or 8 years old and up until the other day trouble free non DWR'ing fully water proof coverage.
Great value for money

Would I buy another one?
Too bloody right I would and I have the latest, lighter version of it which I use when this heavier one is trapped in the cupboard.
But I don't hang this one up any more
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

John,

My sincere condolences for your loss.